Buying a new SSD for boot drive instead of reusing old one?

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I'm currently rocking a Samsung 840 Evo and an Intel 530 SSD, I've had these for well over 3 years now.

I'm now getting around to upgrading to the DDR4 generation (peek the signature).

So, do I buy a new SSD?

Also I don't really understand the pros of using an NVME m.2 SSD as a boot drive, can someone drop some knowledge on that?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that, today, most SSD purchases come down to brand and price. Technology-wise, they are all pretty-much sufficiently reliable (well, maybe not the Inland Pro drives, but I digress).

PCI-E NVMe M.2 drives can boot faster, and often have much better theoretical sequential transfer scores, but beware those specs in the presence of an SLC cache (a common thing now, with TLC or QLC NAND). Once that SLC cache is exhausted, for example, during an OS installation, a restore, or copying large ISOs or movie files to the SSD, then the transfer rates may tank, from 1800MB/sec down to 100MB/sec. (My 128GB Adata SU800 drives drop to ~30-35MB/sec. Much slower than a HDD.)

They also do have an advantage when it comes to latency and random I/O. They can make boot-up even faster than a SATA SSD.

For gaming, there's basically zero improvement over a SATA SSD, for like 99% of games out there. Plus, the price is still a bit higher than SATA SSDs, and much higher than a 7200RPM SATA HDD, for games storage.

So, in the end, I WOULD suggest, IF your motherboard has a PCI-E M.2 socket, then yes, consider getting a smaller (256-512GB) M.2 PCI-E NVMe SSD for OS storage. Then get a SATA SSD for games storage, or a 7200RPM HDD (Toshiba is popular).

But if you already have a decent-sized performance SATA SSD, and it's not close to wearing out, then you probably might want to hold off.

After all, new Ryzen platforms (3rd-Gen, 7nm, X570 chipset, PCI-E 4.0) are coming out, and that means that with x4 PCI-E 4.0, the ceiling on the transfer rates for NVMe SSDs are going up, but they will require a new round of products, and probably controllers, so whatever you buy now will be obsolete, performance-wise, in a year anyways because of PCI-E 4.0.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I think that, today, most SSD purchases come down to brand and price. Technology-wise, they are all pretty-much sufficiently reliable (well, maybe not the Inland Pro drives, but I digress).

PCI-E NVMe M.2 drives can boot faster, and often have much better theoretical sequential transfer scores, but beware those specs in the presence of an SLC cache (a common thing now, with TLC or QLC NAND). Once that SLC cache is exhausted, for example, during an OS installation, a restore, or copying large ISOs or movie files to the SSD, then the transfer rates may tank, from 1800MB/sec down to 100MB/sec. (My 128GB Adata SU800 drives drop to ~30-35MB/sec. Much slower than a HDD.)

They also do have an advantage when it comes to latency and random I/O. They can make boot-up even faster than a SATA SSD.

For gaming, there's basically zero improvement over a SATA SSD, for like 99% of games out there. Plus, the price is still a bit higher than SATA SSDs, and much higher than a 7200RPM SATA HDD, for games storage.

So, in the end, I WOULD suggest, IF your motherboard has a PCI-E M.2 socket, then yes, consider getting a smaller (256-512GB) M.2 PCI-E NVMe SSD for OS storage. Then get a SATA SSD for games storage, or a 7200RPM HDD (Toshiba is popular).

But if you already have a decent-sized performance SATA SSD, and it's not close to wearing out, then you probably might want to hold off.

After all, new Ryzen platforms (3rd-Gen, 7nm, X570 chipset, PCI-E 4.0) are coming out, and that means that with x4 PCI-E 4.0, the ceiling on the transfer rates for NVMe SSDs are going up, but they will require a new round of products, and probably controllers, so whatever you buy now will be obsolete, performance-wise, in a year anyways because of PCI-E 4.0.
Hey VL, good to see that you're still kicking it here.

Few questions
I plan on picking up this mobo and it does have an m.2 slot that can take an nvme ssd, so using it as a boot drive will work?

Without having to dig super far, how can I quickly figure out if an m.2 ssd is NVME since I know some are and some arent'

Lastly, do you have any suggestions on nvme ssds? I just want it to out perform my current SSDs, they both have well over 10,000 hours on them.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
While I don't have any personal experience with that ASRock AB450M Pro4 board, it doesn't look too bad for the money. I initially chose the ASRock AB350M Pro4 (B350, the prior gen) for my Ryzen R5 1600 CPUs, that I bought two years ago when I moved to Ryzen. At least with the 1st-gen Ryzen CPUs, they worked pretty-much fine, although there was a lot of memory compatibility issues with faster DDR4 RAM back then. Also, those boards didn't work very well at all for the Ryzen R3 2200G APUs, when I tried to re-purpose them. They ended up with Athlon 200GE APUs, because of the lower demand on the Vsoc VRM plane because they only have Vega 3 graphics. But I digress.

I think that board is fine, although I've used also some Gigabyte AX370-Gaming ATX (somewhat outdated), and right now my main rig has a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi board. It has GREAT RAM compatibility, compared to those older B350 ASRock boards.

I don't have any experience with ASRock B450 boards, but I would assume that memory compatibility is better than their older boards. But this Gigabyte board is like a dream. I paid $110 for it at Newegg, it was on sale at the time, normal price is $130. I personally think it's worth it, and it includes Intel GigE LAN, as well as Intel AC wifi and BT. (I don't have room for the antenna stand when my PC sits, so I'm actually using a USB3.0 hub on top of my desk with a USB AC wifi + BT dongle.)

As far as M.2 PCI-E NVMe drives, look for "NVMe" in the title, instead of "SATA". "M.2 SATA" is basically the same interface, in a different form-factor, as a standard SATA 2.5" SSD, and does not perform any better. "M.2 PCI-E NVMe" is what you want. Also, some drives are "x2" (two PCI-E lanes), and some drives are "x4" (four PCI-E lanes). The slot can have x2 or x4 lanes wired to it, and it also depends on whether you use a Ryzen APU or CPU.

For budget drives, I'm a fan of the Patriot Scorch 256GB M.2 PCI-E x2 NVMe drives, for APU builds. They are only x2 lanes, but perform well. (The Athlon 200GE only support x2 NVMe lanes.) These go on ShellShocker at Newegg occasionally for $36-38 for the 256GB size, and they also sell out often, even when not on SS.

For more performance-oriented rigs, I would probably go with an HP EX920 (older model) or EX950 (newest model, has a price premium, competitive with the Samsung 970 EVO/PRO performance-wise), probably 512GB.
Also consider the WD Black and WD Blue NVMe SSDs, when they are on sale too. The EX900 may seem notably cheaper, but be aware that those drives use NVMe HMB (host memory buffer), they are effectively DRAM-less, they use the host PC's DRAM for a buffer, which isn't quite as fast or low-latency as those M.2 NVMe SSDs with their own onboard DRAM buffer. They may run slightly cooler because of that, however.

For a more storage-over-performance build, Intel has some great pricing on their QLC (quad-level, 4 bits per cell) 660p NVMe SSDs. Newegg currently has their 1TB model for $102.99 after promo. That's basically as cheap as a SATA SSD, for mid-range PCI-E NVMe performance.

And last but certainly not least, glad to see you around too!

Edit: One thing, if you get a B450 / X470 board, you can use AMD's StoreMI feature, which is basically tiered storage, allowing you to merge a "fast" and "slow" drive, and it will automatically optimize placement of files on the "fast" and "slow" tiers. StoreMI is limited to a 256GB sized "fast tier". If you pay for the upgraded FuzeDrive software, I believe that limitation is removed.

Also, watch Newegg's AM4 motherboard section, for refurb / open-box, or even "open-box refurb" mobos. I've been able to pick up several Gigabyte ATX X370 boards, for roughly $50-60 ea., around half or less than new. I have yet to test them, however. Hopefully they work. :p You have to be quick though, stock is usually pretty limited, and they last on the order of minutes, rather than hours. At least the $50-ish ones. Some of the MSI ones around $60-75 last for a few days.

Last edited:

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I'll try my luck with the Asrock board if I can't find a used board (matx am4 with 4 dimm slots and an m.2 nvme drive slot)

I've been eyeing the HP920 512gb for 81 bucks since Anandtech ranked it pretty high.

I'll keep my eyes peeled on the openbox/refurb on Newegg and probably even ebay to see if anything cheap comes up that fits my requirements.