Buying a new Receiver, have some Questions

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I am trying to update my system from a Denon AVR-3300 and get something with HDMI inputs

I decided I wanted to get Audyssey room correction Multi EQ and up as its highly recommended and can eq the Sub.

I then ordered the Denon 1713 for a good price but the company that I ordered it from says its back ordered and wants me to get the 1913 instead but only looking to spend ~400 unless its really needed to go up. I was looking at the comparable Onkyo but I read that their 2012 line is suffering from reliability issues so I decided to skip that brand

I currently have Polk RM7500 5.1 system

DirecTV HR24
and
Sony BluRay Player

I was looking at the Denon 1613 which is $350 on Amazon

All I can tell is that the 1613 compared to the 1713 does not have Video Up conversion(Analog to HDMI) and 1080 Upscaling.

I will not be hooking anything up via RCA/Analog Inputs so I dont need Analog to HDMI. But what is 1080 Upscaling? Doesn't the DirecTV and BluRay player do this already?

Or does it do something extra to the SD Content from the DirecTV receiver.

Are there any other receiver recommendations?

I was also looking at Marantz NR1403 but it has less power per channel (50watts)

Last edited:

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
^ Awesome calling the 5 around me, its a good deal. Thank you for posting it.

If that doesn't work, you can get a "like new" open box 1713 from the Amazon Warehouse for ~$400. The price was lower when I bought mine, but all that was missing from the box was the remote control batteries.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

Nice features, especially wifi but like others have said it doesn't have Audydey. If you value good quality sound pass on the Sony. I use to own a Sony receiver then, I upgraded to an Onkyo and later to a Denon with Audysey MultEQ XT. Both units sound MUCH better than the Sony.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I went to best buy to look for the receiver on slick deals

They did not have it but they had an open boxed 1713 which was virtually untouched, 100% sealed on the inside and got it for 300, not bad and got the reciver I originally wanted.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I went to best buy to look for the receiver on slick deals

They did not have it but they had an open boxed 1713 which was virtually untouched, 100% sealed on the inside and got it for 300, not bad and got the reciver I originally wanted.

I got my 1712 on sale AND as an open box last year for a GREAT price. I really like it.

Let us know what you think of yours. I think you're going to like it.

Now if they could only come out with a decently priced unit like the 1713 but with wifi.....

loki993

Jan 3, 2013
Upscaling can either be done with the receiver or the Cablebox/blu ray player. The quality of the processors can differ but its my understanding that you probably wont be able to tell the difference until you get to video processors costing a lot more. That was a while back.

Moral of the story is it upscaling shouldn't matter, let the player handle, send the 1080p signal to the receiver and be done with it.

I use my PS3 for Blu Ray and it does all the Video/audio processing, never had a problem and I never noticed any issues with quality.

shingletingle

Jun 30, 2007
Audyssey is not necessary so get a receiver without it. I have Audyssey and I do not use it. My Ascend Acoustic speakers sound better without it.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Audyssey is not necessary so get a receiver without it. I have Audyssey and I do not use it. My Ascend Acoustic speakers sound better without it.

Most people who use Audysey love it. It's science. Find out more at http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

What receiver are you using and why do you think Audysey is not needed. Of course, personal taste is very important and you should adjust your system to play just the way you like.

For the rest of us, we like to think that science can improve our listening experience. What YOU find to sound unpleasant probably is the way it should sound.