Buying a New Car...Need some Information and Opinions.

Viper22

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok.....Im buying a New Car very soon and i need some information and opinions. Im looking $25,000 - $30,000. Primarily looking at a 2001 VW Passat. Any other options and opinons are appreciated.

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
I like the Passat, but it's overpriced. It's one of the most expensive cars in its class. I think I would buy an Accord first.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hmm.. for that price I'd choose the Lexus IS.

I don't think you can get a 3 series for $30,000.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
That BMW might look cheap upfront, but just wait until it's time for scheduled (or unscheduled) maintenance. You will pay at least double what you would for a non-luxury car company. Not to mention insurance. And the Accord is just bland.

What do you guys have against the Passat? It is an awesome car. It might not be quite as good as the BMW... but it comes close. Quite a bit cheaper too. BMW really needs to quit screwing with their cars, they get worse with every redesign. In a few months, they are planning to increase power steering assist on the 3-Series. WTF are they thinking?

And I've read mixed reviews of the new Lexus. Most of the early reviews I read said the handling was definately not up to the European standard. Not to mention it is only available with an automatic. If you are looking to compete with BMW and VW, that just isn't going to cut it. And what is up with that instrumet panel on the dashboard!? Ugh.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
The Acura 3.2 TL is loaded for less than $30K. It holds its value and can be serviced at a Honda dealer. I found them for $27,400 with mud guards and floor mats. MSRP is around $29,100.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
The Acura is a good deal if you are looking for a quiet, smooth and boring luxury car. It's no sports sedan.

dl

Banned
Oct 29, 1999
the TL may be boring but the CL Type S is far from that..

it'll set you back 33gs if you want the dvd navigation package, otherwise, it's right around 30gs :)

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
Are you kidding? The Acura is more of a sport sedan than the Passat, especially the CL series.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You could nab a year or two old Audi A4 Quatro w/ all the trimmings and under 20k miles.

Audi has one of the best warranties in the industry so even if you bought 2 years old, you'd still have the same warranty as a brand new domestic.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
how about an Audi? i think the A4 can be had in that price range, although I'm not sure. Or buy a used one. Our just-bought 1997 A6 wagon with ALL the perks was only around 21,000. and audi's will drive forever.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Are you friggin kidding me? First off, the CL is a coupe, not a sedan. Secondly, it's a pretty bland coupe. Not much of a suspension at all. And the TL is a joke of a sports sedan, it's just a luxury appointed Accord. We all know what an incredibly sporty car the Accord is. Sike.

The Passat, on the other hand, is a finely tuned European sports sedan. This is such a silly argument I'm just going to stop here. Go over to http://www.edmunds.com and read some reviews or something. Jeez.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"...other options and opinons..." Oh yeah, I'm here for that! :D

I need more info first. Do you own a home? Property of any kind? You really think it's a good idea to drop that kind of loot on a friggen car? My opinion? HELL NO!

More opinions? Sure, that's what I'm here for! :) Buy a decent size car! How's that sound? No? You want save money on gas? Interesting. Spend $30K on rust in the making and save a few bucks on gas... very interesting!

Want some more opinions? I got a million of em! :D

Viper22

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok...To anwser some opinions that have been given here....the car will be brand new...im not buying a used car at all. I plan on looking at the Audi A4's cause it and the Passat are the same car. I will have to check into the Acura. I looked at the BMW 3 Series but i know that later on they are gonna be expensive for maintenance even though i get a $1500 automatic discount on one since i work for Gateway. Keep the opinions coming :) and Thanks.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I gotta defend the TL here. If the TL is a joke of a sports sedan, how come it outperforms the Passat V6 in nearly every performance test? The only test where the Passat was better than the TL was in salom speed and braking distance. And that is with the horrible tires that come stock with the TL.

The only thing perceivably worse on the TL would the the sportshift vs. manual.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I would like to add that the TL is a real bargain when you consider the level of equipment. It not only performs well but is very competitive in price. I must confess I just took delivery on a CL Type S so I am not unpartial to the ACURA line. The Type S is a blast to drive but as stated above is only a 2 door. After the hassles of owning 3 BMWs I look forward to a long and happy relationship with Acura.

My $0.02

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good luck with the new ride. Don't mind me, I'm just jealous. Never owned a new car in my life. And I'm surprised NFS4 hasn't suggested some kind of Camry or something. Far as I know, that's probably the most practical way to go with the resale value and all.

Regarding the Gateway I don't have an opinion, but I do have a question. Do they have one to compete with this:

Dimension L733 $999 w/ free printer or scanner ($50 value)
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/offers/specials_3x_special01.htm

I suggested that to a fellow I work with. I'dalso suggest dropping the monitor for $100 credit and add CDRW for $100. He didn't want one built. He was leaning toward Gateway already. We now have a local Gateway store, so I guess that means he has to pay tax on it if he does go with Gateway.

dl

Banned
Oct 29, 1999
I'm also in the market....so I've done so much research on the Lexus IS300, CL Type S, Chrysler 300M, Nissan Maxima, All varieties of Audi ;), and BMW 3 series. I can tell you now that the CL Type S offers the best overall package. You've got a 260hp engine that'll out perform all the others in 0-60, costs the same or less, and provides a better luxury package than everyone else. What you're getting for 30Gs with a CL Type S is a "completely loaded" fusion of a performance and luxury car. All the others provide bare packages or sub-par packages...ie. the IS is a bare package. If you want all the "cool stuff" it'll set you back 35Gs... The type S has been out for a while now so you can easily get it with the cool DVD navigation system for 30Gs :D Go with the Type S, you won't regret your decision.

http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2001/acura/clseries/32cltypes.html#procon

http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2001/lexus/is300/sportsedan.html

http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2000/chrysler/300m/base.html

MooseKnuckle

Golden Member
Oct 24, 1999
Viper,
Here's my choice...Nissan Maxima SE, by far the best V-6 on the road IMO. Sweet car, my boss just got one, I'm jealous. For what you what to spend, that ride will be loaded. Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't buy any other.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Bleh. Enough with these sissy German and Japanese cars. For that kind of money, you can get yourself a fully equipped Ford Mustang, or the like :p

Viper22

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok some other features im looking for.....The Acura looks nice but I have to have a manual transmission. I dont want to go back to an Automatic. Im looking for it in Blue also which the Type S doesnt come in darnit ehehhe oh well I will keep looking. Thanks for all the info.

<Edit>
CyberSax I Will NEVER buy another Ford Car. The Service people have treated me like crap so badly that i have no respect for the company. To give you the short version the Service Advisor and I and my Father got into an Argument where the Service Advisor Lied straight to his Managers face in front of me and my Father and then when my father called him a lying SOB the Advisor Put up his fists like he was about to Punch my Father. Not a Smart thing to do and definatly not anywhere close to good Customer Service.