Buy L.L.Bean.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I made a blanket statement based on "companies" probably a bad start. But to address this specifically.

L.L. Bean expressing support for the President is unethical behavior? Boycotting based on partisanship seems different to me.

Honestly when the president is someone like Donald Trump yes, supporting him is unethical in my opinion. I would not hold the same opinion for any other Republican president in history except maybe Nixon.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yeah, the flip side to the boycott is that it draws attention to companies and can actually work against the effort. I somehow wound up on a "Million Mom's" mailing list that is some ultra-right fundie group of undersexed and ultra bitter women. They routinely send out their company of the week to protest. For weeks it was Target when they wouldn't bow to the whole transgender bathroom thing. Sometimes it's Home Depot and their open support for LGBT community. Other times it's some TV show that *GASP* has two people of the same gender kissing!!!!

I use it as a "who to support" list. But anyway, point remains, I support the right. Might not agree with the reason. The reality of this whole grab your wallet thing is that it really just needed to be a targeted approach of simply "Don't buy trump shit" and left it that. Let the sales speak for themselves. Regardless, I do not see this as "bullying" as the L.L. Bean person exclaimed.

Million Mom's is an offshoot of focus on the family. They are delightfully nutty and afraid of everything.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not exactly good form of a President endorsing one company over the another unless you are promoting all American companies for a given product.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Not exactly good form of a President endorsing one company over the another unless you are promoting all American companies for a given product.

You'll have to pry my blackberry out of my cold dead hands.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Social conservatives love the idea of using boycotts, but cue the butthurt if the boycott is aimed at them. That she is trying to frame it as 'unAmerican' is pretty damn pathetic. Remember how socially and patriotically self-righteous her kind were when they were boycotting businesses owned by gay people? It's hard to take a Trump supporter seriously on the topic of 'bullying.'

LL Bean can support the douchebag if she wants, but my family's 20+ years of giving them business is over.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor Linda...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
All that aside surely everyone sees how incredibly dangerous it is for the president to be endorsing companies for supporting him, right?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
All that aside surely everyone sees how incredibly dangerous it is for the president to be endorsing companies for supporting him, right?

SEC should have fun with insider trading investigations. Well, assuming that's not gutted and de-regulated over the course of the next administration.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Honestly when the president is someone like Donald Trump yes, supporting him is unethical in my opinion. I would not hold the same opinion for any other Republican president in history except maybe Nixon.

Get real. What the criminal Bush did was orders of magnitude worse than anything that tricky D ic k did. It still burns my beans that Bush was never charged with crimes against humanity and treason.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What's your definition of "incredibly dangerous"?

Seems like a fundamental problem for our economic system. It seems to me like a rational company could certainly come to the conclusion that the best way to improve its profits is to support/suck up to the president. That goes bad places very quickly.

Dec 10, 2005
What's your definition of "incredibly dangerous"?
Perhaps we should take a page out of John Locke's Second Treatise on Government:
freedom of men under government is, to have a standing rule to live by, common to every one of that society, and made by the legislative power erected in it; a liberty to follow my own will in all things, where the rule prescribes not; and not to be subject to the inconstant, uncertain, unknown, arbitrary will of another man

It seems like being subjected to arbitrary actions by the government would violate some of the basic tenets that underscore the western liberal democratic tradition. Donald John Trump being able to raise or sink the prospects of individual companies with the stroke of his tiny fingers and his Twitter account seems like a pretty arbitrary and dangerous way to conduct government.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Seems like a fundamental problem for our economic system. It seems to me like a rational company could certainly come to the conclusion that the best way to improve its profits is to support/suck up to the president. That goes bad places very quickly.

The other side of that coin? The President of the United States attempt to destroy American Businesses that in anyway disagree with him and do so publicly?

Is it possibly just too dangerous to have a President in general anymore? Now that the cat is out of the bag in regards to revelation that a President could do this, what options do we have?

I personally have never met anybody that signed the constitution, and have frequently wondered why the document is grandfathered in from generation to generation. Now might be as good a time as any to hold a national referendum on how our country is run. The founders probably never envisioned such large companies or a nation of 300+ million people being under the influence of just 1 person.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My wife likes some of LL Bean's stuff. This kerfuffle is, IMHO, insufficient reason to boycott them. This is minor league stuff. It's not like that other company indirectly, but knowingly, supporting the execution of gays in Africa.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is it possibly just too dangerous to have a President in general anymore? Now that the cat is out of the bag in regards to revelation that a President could do this, what options do we have?

I personally have never met anybody that signed the constitution, and have frequently wondered why the document is grandfathered in from generation to generation. Now might be as good a time as any to hold a national referendum on how our country is run. The founders probably never envisioned such large companies or a nation of 300+ million people being under the influence of just 1 person.

I think people are only now realizing how much our country depends on social norms to run and if someone like Trump has no desire to abide by them he will be able to do a great deal of damage. Once these norms are violated there's often no going back because now the other political party has no security that if they abide by those norms their opponents will as well. (this is one of the primary reasons why it was so important for Obama to refuse to give in to Republican demands on the debt ceiling no matter what)

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I think people are only now realizing how much our country depends on social norms to run and if someone like Trump has no desire to abide by them he will be able to do a great deal of damage. Once these norms are violated there's often no going back because now the other political party has no security that if they abide by those norms their opponents will as well. (this is one of the primary reasons why it was so important for Obama to refuse to give in to Republican demands on the debt ceiling no matter what)

So what's the answer? It sounds like you're agreeing with me. That it's all over.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
I read a funny tweet this morning. The person going to find the LL Bean backpack they used in middle school and throw it away. As if this will hurt LL Bean. LMAO!!!

It will actually relieve them of the possible lifetime warranty claim. They did them a favor!

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

Vladimir, is that you?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Vladimir, is that you?

No. I'm just saying what everybody is thinking. Now that we know just what exactly can happen when the boogey-man is elected President, I think we just need to take a hard look at our form of governance. The original concept of the constitution and federalism did not consider the broad expanse of powers that the federal government currently had. Put one despot in charge of THIS federal government, and you have a huge problem. Put him in charge of the federal government 150 years ago? By comparison the damage is very small.

Having another constitutional convention wouldn't hurt anything, and everybody would feel a lot safer from Trump.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I don't like Trump, didn't vote for him but I'm not going to stop buying Bean gear just cause some second cousin great niece happens to have the last name Bean or whoever she is gave money to a political PAC. And just cause he tweeted about it is definitely not a good reason, the f'n guy tweets about ANYTHING and loves seeing his name bantered around.

I have Bean shirts I bought during the 1st Bush administration, anything from them will still be going long after him and his presidency is done and buried.