Buy L.L.Bean.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
"The unprecedented endorsement came less than two hours after Linda Bean said on a talk show early Thursday that anti-Trump groups are browbeating American businesses, an effort she called “un-American.”“It’s a case of bullying,” Bean said on Fox and Friends. “I'm not going to back down. I never back down.”

"
It was not until this month, however, that Linda Bean’s support for Trump burst into public view, when the Federal Election Commission alerted the group that it had erroneously formed as a traditional PAC, which can legally only accept donations up to $5,000.

That prompted Grab Your Wallet, a boycott effort against companies that carry Trump brand products or have other connections to the president-elect, to add L.L. Bean to its list. Organizers have said they will not take L.L. Bean off its website until Linda Bean is ejected from the board.

The company has asked for the boycott to be dropped, saying that the corporation has no connection to the PAC."

Oh boo fucking hoo. Voting with our wallet is the final bastion of power we have anymore. For a country that prides itself on capitalism, choosing where to spend my money is one of the most capitalistic things I can do as a consumer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebobo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Something something intolerant liberals daring who hate freedom and capitalism posts incoming.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Having a twitter account is suddenly a conflict of interest. Twitter followers is the new currency. This was a transaction. Simple as that.

Jan 25, 2011
Having a twitter account is suddenly a conflict of interest. Twitter followers is the new currency. This was a transaction. Simple as that.
Bullshit. This is kiss the ass of the P E and he will use the weight of his office to benefit your business. He isn't an ordinary citizen any more. This is businesses stroking his ego and benefiting financially from it.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Oh boo fucking hoo. Voting with our wallet is the final bastion of power we have anymore. For a company that prides itself on capitalism, choosing where to spend my money is one of the most capitalistic things I can do as a consumer.

More power to you deciding where to spend your money but IMHO the criteria being that a company simply sells a Trump branded product seems overly broad and unlikely to make much impact. The companies that produce the Trump products have already paid the licensing fees to use his name so it's not like you're harming Trump somehow. Or really influencing a retailer like Walmart who stocks 10s of thousands of different SKUs and likely has similar 'boycotts' on dozens if not hundreds of other products for whatever half-baked reasons ranging from "blood diamonds" to "this company supports the gays and their sinful lifestyle."

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Meh, LL Bean make great gear - I'll still buy from them so long as they keep the quality up.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Bullshit. This is kiss the ass of the P E and he will use the weight of his office to benefit your business. He isn't an ordinary citizen any more. This is businesses stroking his ego and benefiting financially from it.

You can solicit campaign donations, solicit favorable business deals, in exchange for a hashtag if you have enough followers. Even instagram product placement is potentially incriminating. The possibilities are endless.

The Franciscans have it right. You forfeit all financial independence and personal belongings when you become part of the order. The President should be no different.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
More power to you deciding where to spend your money but IMHO the criteria being that a company simply sells a Trump branded product seems overly broad and unlikely to make much impact. The companies that produce the Trump products have already paid the licensing fees to use his name so it's not like you're harming Trump somehow. Or really influencing a retailer like Walmart who stocks 10s of thousands of different SKUs and likely has similar 'boycotts' on dozens if not hundreds of other products for whatever half-baked reasons ranging from "blood diamonds" to "this company supports the gays and their sinful lifestyle."

In this case it wasn't a Trump product, but rather public support and $45,000 in donations. Again, boycotting is one of the last real exercise of powers we have anymore as everyday plebes.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
In this case it wasn't a Trump product, but rather public support and $45,000 in donations. Again, boycotting is one of the last real exercise of powers we have anymore as everyday plebes.

The OP has a link directly to the website for the boycott and it's based primarily on carrying Trump products. See the excel spreadsheet columns marked " Which Line Does It Carry?" and "Which Products?" LL Bean is on the auxiliary list of "consider boycotting." Again I think it's great that you want to boycott but am dubious it will have any impact whatsoever, especially once you're a couple layers of abstraction removed from directly supporting Trump (like "advertises on the 'The Apprentice' TV show")

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

You're going to boycott a company that produces goods that frequently are made in America? They have a manufacturing plant in Maine that employs 450 people.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You're going to boycott a company that produces goods that frequently are made in America? They have a manufacturing plant in Maine that employs 450 people.

Me? Nah I haven't bought a thing from them in my life. Before or after Trump. But I do support boycott efforts for reasons previously stated. Voting with wallets is one of the few powers normal people have. Put enough of those votes to use and messages are heard. I may not agree with their reasons, but I do support their right to it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Of course you're harming Trump by not buying his branded things as the fees he can charge for future licenses are directly related to sales.

Boycotts have been effective in the past and will likely continue to be. Smart move.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

So? Companies don't get a get out of jail free card for unethical behavior just because they employ Americans. Chick Fil A employs thousands and thousands of Americans I'm sure but I would never eat there because of their CEO's odious behavior.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Me? Nah I haven't bought a thing from them in my life. Before or after Trump. But I do support boycott efforts for reasons previously stated. Voting with wallets is one of the few powers normal people have. Put enough of those votes to use and messages are heard. I may not agree with their reasons, but I do support their right to it.

Yea I can't argue with that honestly. It's just a little unfortunate because if the boycott was going to damage anybody, it would likely be the employees in Maine, and probably mostly democrats to boot.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
So? Companies don't get a get out of jail free card for unethical behavior just because they employ Americans. Chick Fil A employs thousands and thousands of Americans I'm sure but I would never eat there because of their CEO's odious behavior.

I made a blanket statement based on "companies" probably a bad start. But to address this specifically.

L.L. Bean expressing support for the President is unethical behavior? Boycotting based on partisanship seems different to me.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yea I can't argue with that honestly. It's just a little unfortunate because if the boycott was going to damage anybody, it would likely be the employees in Maine, and probably mostly democrats to boot.

Yeah, the flip side to the boycott is that it draws attention to companies and can actually work against the effort. I somehow wound up on a "Million Mom's" mailing list that is some ultra-right fundie group of undersexed and ultra bitter women. They routinely send out their company of the week to protest. For weeks it was Target when they wouldn't bow to the whole transgender bathroom thing. Sometimes it's Home Depot and their open support for LGBT community. Other times it's some TV show that *GASP* has two people of the same gender kissing!!!!

I use it as a "who to support" list. But anyway, point remains, I support the right. Might not agree with the reason. The reality of this whole grab your wallet thing is that it really just needed to be a targeted approach of simply "Don't buy trump shit" and left it that. Let the sales speak for themselves. Regardless, I do not see this as "bullying" as the L.L. Bean person exclaimed.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I didn't think much of the LL Bean donation to begin with, but with Trump's endorsement, I probably will boycott them now.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't have any ll bean gear at this point, and now I'm not really eager to go with it. Oh well, don't see myself buying now