Buy.com Warm CompactFlash and SD Deals

brab

Jan 27, 2000
Free Shipping on Everything....
There are some more things on sale but not worth mentioning imo...
You can see the rest of the stuff here....
And a coupon to make the deal sweeter...

Kingston Technology 1GB Compact Flash Card
Our Price: $84.99
Price After Rebate: $59.99

Lexar 512MB CompactFlash Card
Our Price: $49.99
Price After Rebate: $29.99

Viking 512MB Compact Flash Card
Price After Rebate: $37.99

Kingston Technology 512MB Compact Flash Card
Our Price: $52.99
Price After Rebate: $37.99

Kingston Technology 512MB Secure Digital Card
Our Price: $54.99
Price After Rebate: $39.99

Kingston Technology 256MB Secure Digital Card
Our Price: $19.99
Price After Rebate: $9.99

Kingston 256MB Compact Flash Card
Our Price: $23.99
Price After Rebate: $13.99

Nomad MuVo NX 128MB
Our Price: $54.99

Coraanu

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
Nice price on the Kingston 256MB SD.
$24.99 - $15 MIR = $9.99 w/ free shipping.

brab

Jan 27, 2000

I haven't ordered from them in forever...

Lately everybody is saying that they are bad...

I used to order from them a lot when they first started and anandtech was raping them with coupons and such stuff...I remember those good days..$10 off $10 and $10 off $20.....
I had like 5 accounts on there...

What's wrong with them lately???

BunLengthHotDog

Feb 21, 2003
They offshored their customer service dept, and since then have gone down the drain...they HAD a high avg rating of 9.22, the last 6 months however has them rated at 2.23. The most popular complaint is that their website will mark an item as in stock, and even if you call them they will state its in stock, but then you will wait weeks while its on "backorder". Add to this that some people cancel their order, only to have it charged to their card and shipped within the next few days forcing them to a) refuse shipment or b) ship the item back (on their dime) and wait for a refund...GOOD LUCK.

MiataPaul

Mar 20, 2003
Sounds like a good deal, as long as your not in a real big hurry. I think I will risk a
Kingston Technology 256MB Secure Digital Card
Our Price: $19.99
Price After Rebate: $9.99
I really do not like having more than 256 MB on one card when taking photos. I would prefer to have 2 256 than on 512. If one gets damaged, there will be less lost.

Mac

Oct 31, 1999
I ordered a 128MB Viking CF card from Buy.Com about a month ago. No complaints other than the standard (free) shipping was extremely slow. Took over a week to go from New Jersey to FL. They used some carrier that I had never heard of...believe it is a contractor that routes packages to the nearest USPS center. Then the USPS does the actual delivery. If you are not in a hurry, no problem.

Re the current offer, the Kingston 256MB CF is a pretty good deal at $23.99 - 10 rebate = $13.99. It's not exactly 80X speed but more than adequate for anything other than sustained shooting on a digital SLR. An unexpected plus was that the rebate is good for a maximum of two 256MB cards. I agree with a previous poster, I would prefer 2 X 256MB cards rather than 1 X 512MB. More flexibility and less risk.

Deskstar

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2001
Does the 80X make any real difference in the speed of taking multiple photos, ie, time before the camera is ready to shoot again, if compared to the non-80x version of SD memory?

Mac

Oct 31, 1999
Does the 80X make any real difference in the speed of taking multiple photos....

It depends upon what type of camera you have. It shouldn't make any difference in most P&S because the processor within the camera is the bottleneck. In other words, the speed is limited by the size of the internal buffer and the camera's ability to transfer data from the sensor to the buffer to the storage media.

Digital SLR's are typically designed for professional use where performance is important. The dSLR usually has larger batteries to support faster processors. I seem to recall that the Nikon D70 has the ability to shoot a continous rate of 3fps at full resolution until the storage media has been consumed. Under those conditions, yes, the speed of the storage media can slow down the camera.

Deskstar

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2001
Thanks Mac...good info. I located similar SD 256mb cards on Newegg as well on a 1 day sale price of $25 less a $15 rebate = $10 with shipping of $3 per card. This is slightly more than the Buy.com price...but it is with newegg.

Mac

Oct 31, 1999
To clarify my comments (ad nauseum), the speed of follow up shots on most p&s is limited to the size of the internal buffer. Some of the better p&s (ie, my Nikon 8700), can support 3-4 FPS at full resolution for 7 to 8 pics and then slow down because the buffer is full. Even with the fastest CF card, the camera simply cannot write data to the card fast enough so the 80X card provides minimal, if any, improvement. At that time, the camera slows down to about 1 FPS. This is assuming the photo is being stored in JPEG format. If the shot is recorded in RAW or TIFF, it slows down even further due to the size of the file transfer.

Probably more than you wanted to know...but hope that helps.