buy.com sales ?

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
wonder if you guys are still ordering stuff though there is no coupon anymore.. wondering if they saw a sharp dip in sales ?

fir3wir3

Banned
Oct 15, 2000
there are a lot of loyal buyers still

maybe not people on this forum who know where to get deals...but aside from that there's a lot of loyal buyers who will buy from buy.com because they're used to it.

bigbigsavings

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2000
forcesho,

I'll tell ya one thing. BigBigSavings did a crapload of sales for buy.com, but all through coupons. We've definitely seen a VERY sharp decline in sales through them, as I'm sure they have seen with all their other affiliates. We'll see how it plays out, but at least they're making a bit more margin on the products that they ARE selling now. Can't operate at a loss forever.

Alex

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
I recently saw a WSJ report on them predicting that they may well be the next big online retailer to fold........:(

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I ordered from Buy when they had coupons and I was very pleased with their service. However, there is so much competition for my online dollar that I would likely be able to find better prices somewhere else (with Buy not using coupons), and I would end up ordering from there.

Hey, I'm just a consumer! :) Price is the most important thing to me... service is important as well, but unless a vendor is really hated on Reseller Ratings or BizRate or whatever, I would try them at least once if they ad the best price.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I would likely be able to find better prices somewhere else" Oh really? Me too, except the damn shipping and handling are on the order of 4 times what Buy.Com charges! :|

Otherwise, let's hear your other sources. And matching the price isn't better...

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I ordered a switch from them using only ebates. They have an excellent inventory and top prices in most areas.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think once Onvia started charging for shipping (man, do they charge now), it freed up Buy.Com from the coupons and free shipping promotions. Honestly, if you can find better deals on price and shipping (on a regular basis), I'd really like to know from where!

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Ornery, I'm not saying that Buy.com doesn't usually have the lowest prices across the board. In fact, I think it does.

But usually when I buy an item, I don't need it right away and I have time to peruse all the "Hot Deal" forums and sites to get what I want as cheaply as possible. Granted, it would be more convenient to say "well, Buy.com will have a fair price, I'll just pay it every time", and not have to wait for rebates and whatnot, but I'm too cheap for that. When I can get the exact same item cheaper if I can wait and look around, I'll do it.

mylam

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
have been using it for couple yrs already, things are cool good service

and nowadays buy a lot of DVD there

NoreagaCNN

Banned
Sep 28, 2000
I still order from them even without the coupons, I aint that cheap ;)

-Nore

PS: They are a pretty good company, if you ever have a problem with them they try their best to fix it

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Yeah I bought a lot of stuff w/o coupon, my 2 viewsonic g815 monitors, 1600, a bunch of dlt tapes, 55 each,etc.. but dont you just want some more incentive to save.. 30 bucks save is 30 bucks earn...

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm honestly looking for other sources for stuff. Hot Deals is OK if you can stay on it and move quickly. But since there is no more 155% price matching I haven't been hanging around Hot Deals. Matter of fact, I didn't need Hot Deals for that anyway!

So far, I'll look first at Staples, since they have the free shipping and some coupons. Next is Buy.Com. Then I'll try and beat their price via Fat Wallet, Price Watch and MySimon. Usually end up back at Buy.com. If prices are the same, I'll stick with Buy.com too. That's just loyalty since they've earned it.

Any other places to check out? Hmmmmm?

Edit: Forgot to mention that Sears now matches E-tailer prices. Take a copy of an E-tailer web page with a lower price for one of their products and they'll match it! No questions.

OK, now you owe me, let's hear some sources! :p