Buy 2.4/2.6 P4 or not?!

cnhoff

Feb 6, 2001
I have an Asus PB533-E single channel DDR mainboard, that suits all of my needs. Adding up to this i don't have the cash to upgrade mobo/cpu/ram to a decent dual channel mobo.

Until recently, i had an 1.8A Northwood P4 running at 2.4/533FSB without any problems. Now i can't reach that clock speed anymore, i think, the cpu has suffered some damage from increased clock speed/ vcore.

Now i think about upgrading to a 2.4B or 2.6B P4 in that board. Do these cpus support HyperThreading? I know that board can handle HT, but i'm not sure, about how far this translates into performance on that "old" board.

I plan to oc that cpu again, do you think this board can reach FSBs>>533MHz?

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: cnhoff
I have an Asus PB533-E single channel DDR mainboard, that suits all of my needs. Adding up to this i don't have the cash to upgrade mobo/cpu/ram to a decent dual channel mobo.

Until recently, i had an 1.8A Northwood P4 running at 2.4/533FSB without any problems. Now i can't reach that clock speed anymore, i think, the cpu has suffered some damage from increased clock speed/ vcore.

Now i think about upgrading to a 2.4B or 2.6B P4 in that board. Do these cpus support HyperThreading? I know that board can handle HT, but i'm not sure, about how far this translates into performance on that "old" board.

I plan to oc that cpu again, do you think this board can reach FSBs>>533MHz?

Don't go with a B go with a 2.4C for about $170...

Your easily looking @ 3ghz on the stock HSF...

With an SLK the sky is the limit... :p

:)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Those 2 B's do not have HT, and if your board is anything like my P4PE/L then running a C 800FSB CPU at it's rated speed is difficult enough while overclocking it is nigh impossible. You can have a look over at ABXZone.com and see if anyone is having good results with your board and a P4C *EDIT: looking at Asus's site there doesn't appear to be official bios support for the 800fsb CPUs like there is with my P4PE so it doesn't look good* but just buying a new B and overclocking is probably the best route with that board.

cnhoff

Feb 6, 2001
How much do you think i can overclock the FSB, left aside, what the cpu is capable of?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I honestly don't know so bump for you :)