Busted at work :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I see people having problems with ABG's all the time. This is when a more experience person such as yourself steps in and helps. The less competent person learns and gets better and more importantly, less risk and damage to the patient. This is the way of the world. It is especially valuable in the world of medicine as you are well aware. So, stop being selfish ;) Your wisdom and expertise are valued. Be happy about that.

p.s. Don't coddle them of course. Don't let people hand things over to you and walk. Teach with their hands, not yours.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: Quintox
Oh darn you have to help keep people alive :(

lol

It's more like co workers won't get really good at it because they don't even try...

I hear ya there. You have to hand pick a trainee who gives a crap about really good patient care, as obviously you do care:) Good on ya man.
My mom is a retired RN, my sis is getting there with 25 years in trauma ER, recently moved to a graveyard OB post. '
My bro is a mobile xray tech, I do all his technology support. He is so good with the nursing home patients it is unreal. He will wave off the house help if they are about to make a confrontational situation with a dementia patient, and sweet talk the patient into helping HIM! He just takes over and gets his xray and is gone before anyone really knows what was going on:D

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
MrsSkoorb is familiar with people who're good at IVs being called in to do it for those who aren't. She's done IVs in patients that very experienced nurses couldn't do. I hope I'm not their patient, with them incessantly jabbing at my arm. Last time I gave blood the guy told me I have great veins for it, though!

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
can you make one out of a coconut, surgical tubing and a basketball inflating nipple thingy? that would be mad IV skills.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
what is your job? i work in recovery all the time (im OR/patient transport)...that would be awesome ive i could start IVs.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Well, at least they aren't after your mad bedpan skillz. ;)

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
wow, at my job i showed how awesome i am at it and got promoted to manager in 2 years.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: JS80
wow, at my job i showed how awesome i am at it and got promoted to manager in 2 years.

I make more $ as a staff nurse, if you get promoted you have to accept a salaried position at a massive pay cut.

Nursing sucks to be in administration or teach.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: lozina
At least you didnt get caught fapping on the job, which is what I thought this thread was going to be about

for some reason i think this begs for a parody post where OP gets caught fapping and then has to help people do it.

/wont start that thread

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001

I make more $ as a staff nurse, if you get promoted you have to accept a salaried position at a massive pay cut.

truth there. Administration, your job is to simply screw over your old friends on the staff, messing with the shifts, hours, whatever the upper management asks you to do to cut costs. Not only at your former co-workers expense, but at the expense of good patient care. My mom did not survive that transition, she cared about both her staff and the patients too much.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: skyking

truth there. Administration, your job is to simply screw over your old friends on the staff, messing with the shifts, hours, whatever the upper management asks you to do to cut costs. Not only at your former co-workers expense, but at the expense of good patient care. My mom did not survive that transition, she cared about both her staff and the patients too much.

Those that can, do..

Those that can't, teach...

Those that can't teach administrate...

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
And I busted a nut at work :p

If your co-workers are required to perform IV, then you may want to aid them in the learning process. But how do they get into such a position with such a requirement if they don't know (at least well enough) how to perform the procedure?

But generally speaking, I hear you though, the more you know the more you get piled onto you. You're like the designated person for that duty til death do you part.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
And I busted a nut at work :p

If your co-workers are required to perform IV, then you may want to aid them in the learning process. But how do they get into such a position with such a requirement if they don't know (at least well enough) how to perform the procedure?

But generally speaking, I hear you though, the more you know the more you get piled onto you. You're like the designated person for that duty til death do you part.

They're actually very good, I'm just that much better. I'd let any of them start my IV.

I can't count the # of times I've started an IV in the ER by myself on a flailing patient by myself, one foot on the floor, one knee on the patient's forearm, and my left hand holding down their right hand so they would be less of a moving target to hit...

I don't miss that shit at all :laugh:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hate getting IVs and when I was 15 and needed one it took 3 people 5 attempts to succeed. :|:|:|

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: skyking

Those that can, do..

Those that can't, teach...

Those that can't teach administrate...

haha damn what a backward ass profession

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: lozina
At least you didnt get caught fapping on the job, which is what I thought this thread was going to be about

Maybe he's giving "sausage IVs"

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have been in ER as a paramedic for the last 5 years. Same thing here; when they can't hit one, they call in the closer.... I have been a medic since 1982 and have probably over a 1,000 IV starts at 40 mph in the back of my ambulance. That makes you get pretty good in a hurry.

Congrats on the exceptional skilz... Be proud of them, and teach a select few the secrets ;)

Bob

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
I've been at current job for >2 years after years in ICU & a decade + in ER.

Am in the PACU (recovery room) and one of the things we rarely ( like once or twice a year) is start IV's.

Last week we started rotating a bit & helping in the pre op part of the dept, and one of the big skills is starting IV's, and I intentionally kept my mouth shut about my mad IV skilz, so folks wouldn't pester me to help.

4 hours into my first rotation my co workers figured out what I've done for the last couple of years. :(

I've started over a dozen "problem" IV's for them this week already...

:( :( :(

Help them out! Just think of what the people getting the IVs are going through if you don't!

I'm afraid of needles, and once had a nurse stick me 7 times before she finally went and found someone else to do it.

Oh, and the best part, I'm at about 8% bodyfat and have huge veins. The second nurse got it in on the first try no problem.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I am up in the "many thousand" area too. (~40 calls per week, half get IV's, 8 years) The left handed across the other side of the gurney are fun, and so are the EJ's. Heck, there's been hundreds that even get two 14g IV's for major trauma or strokes. (16g for the strokes, bi-lateral A/C, nurses love it when you roll in and they are already set up for antithrombolytic therapy if needed.)

I don't know why you don't want to do them, hell, pretty soon you'll be tubing 'em too. "Reliable Pliable"

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
I am up in the "many thousand" area too. (~40 calls per week, half get IV's, 8 years) The left handed across the other side of the gurney are fun, and so are the EJ's. Heck, there's been hundreds that even get two 14g IV's for major trauma or strokes. (16g for the strokes, bi-lateral A/C, nurses love it when you roll in and they are already set up for antithrombolytic therapy if needed.)

I don't know why you don't want to do them, hell, pretty soon you'll be tubing 'em too. "Reliable Pliable"

I've been avoiding it because I'd have to abandon my patients & leave the area to help out, not a good thing for my patients.

You guys in the field are freaking amazing, in the pre-op area the patients are maybe a tad dehydrated from being NPO for a few hours, but basically healthy and have great veins, ER/ambulance patients are usually far from ideal shape when you intervene...