Busloads of migrants dropped off at vice president’s DC home on Christmas Eve

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I want to see a tomato, strawberry, cucumber and zucchinis picking machines.. helping grandpa on the farm i never saw one and i cannot find one on the internet. You say they exist so prove it.

but i think it is more like this..

schrodingers%20immigrant.jpg

I have seen other videos in a hydroponic tomato farm. Don't know if it is the same machine.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Mechanization in agriculture doesn't always reduce the demand for labor.

From archives.gov

While it was true that the cotton gin reduced the labor of removing seeds, it did not reduce the need for enslaved labor to grow and pick the cotton. In fact, the opposite occurred. Cotton growing became so profitable for enslavers that it greatly increased their demand for both land and enslaved labor.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

I have seen other videos in a hydroponic tomato farm. Don't know if it is the same machine.

Cool machine, it's required to face labor shortages (per the article itself), which are largely brought on by misguided policy.

But also in the article, some key points:

1. Works 24/7 - potentially replacing many humans
2. Can detect ripeness better than humans
3. washable

What I don't see, and am too lazy to look up rn, is whether or not this will be useful outside. that's an indoor grow farm article.

But who knows, maybe commercial indoor growing will really take off in the near future. It offer's some great benefits.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Mechanization in agriculture doesn't always reduce the demand for labor.

From archives.gov

While it was true that the cotton gin reduced the labor of removing seeds, it did not reduce the need for enslaved labor to grow and pick the cotton. In fact, the opposite occurred. Cotton growing became so profitable for enslavers that it greatly increased their demand for both land and enslaved labor.

The industrial age has brought automation to industry, displacing humans to an impactful degree. IMO, what we need to consider is what's next for the human race while less and less people can find work. More-so in the U.S.A. - where jobs have been lost to outsourcing, and also insourcing via programs that displace our worker's here as well.

What's our plan?

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Cool machine, it's required to face labor shortages (per the article itself), which are largely brought on by misguided policy.

But also in the article, some key points:

1. Works 24/7 - potentially replacing many humans
2. Can detect ripeness better than humans
3. washable

What I don't see, and am too lazy to look up rn, is whether or not this will be useful outside. that's an indoor grow farm article.

No idea, just something I ran across. Vertical farming is the direction we are moving towards.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I want to see a tomato, strawberry, cucumber and zucchinis picking machines.. helping grandpa on the farm i never saw one and i cannot find one on the internet. You say they exist so prove it.

but i think it is more like this..

schrodingers%20immigrant.jpg
It's coming, i've seen a number of mushroom picking machines and they are being used in the Netherlands but it's not there yet, much closer than it was 5-10 years ago though. In mushroom farms it's especially useful because of how fast they grow

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
The industrial age has brought automation to industry, displacing humans to an impactful degree. IMO, what we need to consider is what's next for the human race while less and less people can find work. More-so in the U.S.A. - where jobs have been lost to outsourcing, and also insourcing via programs that displace our worker's here as well.

What's our plan?

Probably ignore it until it really bites us in the ass?

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
It's coming, i've seen a number of mushroom picking machines and they are being used in the Netherlands but it's not there yet, much closer than it was 5-10 years ago though. In mushroom farms it's especially useful because of how fast they grow
Yeah, I saw a piece on This Old House about a strawberry picking machine that was also inside an indoor grow operation.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
GOP Governors Bus Migrants to Blue Cities, but Many Exit in Red States

But increasingly the migrants are hopping off the buses before reaching Washington and New York, which are too expensive to settle in for many migrants who don’t have friends or family in those cities.
Instead, they are disembarking in red states along the route, where the cost of living is much lower — but where their presence has generated opposition from some state and local officials.

“If Texas is going to put people on buses, they need to make sure that these individuals are going to their destinations,” said Georgia state Rep. Mike Cameron, a Republican who protested bus stops in Dade County, Georgia. “I understand Texas’ problem, but don’t just put people on a bus and let them get off anywhere. That’s not a solution.”

Migrants have disembarked in Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee in recent weeks, and some of the buses arriving in New York and Washington have been nearly empty. :sweatsmile:

As for my questions:
-How is this even legal to ship migrants to other states to take care of?
-Why are there no lawsuits to stop this practice?

It was also answered in the article (i think):
Both Arizona and Texas offer asylum seekers voluntary bus rides as they are released with permission to travel and pursue their asylum claims after screenings by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents, who determine they’re not a security threat and don’t qualify for programs that force some asylum seekers to wait south of the border.
In Texas, a humanitarian group offers the seats on state-funded buses to those who need transportation.

Last edited:

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Wow. That article predates the OP… no I am not being an ass about it

just surprised how long this has been going on and wondering how often this happens.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
As for my questions:
-How is this even legal to ship migrants to other states to take care of?
-Why are there no lawsuits to stop this practice?
If it's legal (and I don't believe it is), it shouldn't be. It's using human beings as political fodder, just to be vindictive. It's cruel to those being shipped around for no productive reason.

And there is at least one lawsuit currently pending against DeathSantis, although IMO there should be numerous against him, Greg Abbott, and anyone else whose been pulling these bullshit stunts.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
If it's legal (and I don't believe it is), it shouldn't be. It's using human beings as political fodder, just to be vindictive. It's cruel to those being shipped around for no productive reason.

And there is at least one lawsuit currently pending against DeathSantis, although IMO there should be numerous against him, Greg Abbott, and anyone else whose been pulling these bullshit stunts.
I can't really see any way that it is not human trafficking. Only people like Abbott and DeSantis are apparently above the law.

Last edited:

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I would like to see them with a sex act charge in there also.. Just think of it when Destantis or Abbott move they have to go around knocking on all the doors confessing to their neighborhood they are guilty of a sex crime...

Reactions: Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Quoted spam post removed

You must be new to America. Conservatives haven’t been civil since America elected a black guy to POTUS

PLEASE do not quote spammers, especially ones with spam links in the post..
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
and at the same time Republicans around the country creating incentives for illegal border crossing by lowering worker age requirements.

Kids as young as 13 working the night shift in Kansas slaughterhouses.

These same Republicans bitch about the border.

Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
and at the same time Republicans around the country creating incentives for illegal border crossing by lowering worker age requirements.

Kids as young as 13 working the night shift in Kansas slaughterhouses.

These same Republicans bitch about the border.
If the number of kids is low enough the slaughterhouse may be able to call themselves a school in the future and get $5K from the state to support their child education efforts.

Reactions: HomerJS