Business Grade Router?

Snap55

Feb 11, 2020
With all the negative feedback on consumer grade wifi router performance and manufacturer's support (lack of), are there reasonably affordable business grade routers available?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
With all the negative feedback on consumer grade wifi router performance and manufacturer's support (lack of), are there reasonably affordable business grade routers available?
There are several products available in the smb space for around the same price of consumer, but these won't have built-in wifi. There is also the used enterprise market where you can get multi-thousand dollar equipment for just hundreds.

Snap55

Feb 11, 2020
There are several products available in the smb space for around the same price of consumer, but these won't have built-in wifi. There is also the used enterprise market where you can get multi-thousand dollar equipment for just hundreds.

"smb space"?

Snap55

Feb 11, 2020

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
smb = small business.

Yes, AmpliFi is Ubiquti's consumer brand which offer a combined WiFi router. It's line also has great reviews on Amazon, don't understand what you mean it does not have better review than other consumer brands?

But everyone's client devices are different and your environment is different. There is no guarantee that one router works great for others will also work great for you.

You already set your mind that consumer brands are bad, why not just stay with Ubiquiti? You can mix and match and have a software controller to monitor all devices. It also has a huge community forum where you can get a lot of help from.

Last edited:

Snap55

Feb 11, 2020
smb = small business.

Yes, AmpliFi is Ubiquti's consumer brand which offer a combined WiFi router. It's line also has great reviews on Amazon, don't understand what you mean it does not have better review than other consumer brands?

An AmpliFi wifi router listed on A.... had positive and negative review percentages similar to Netgear and Asus models, many negative reviews noting disconnect issues. I'm not rendering any judgement or opinion, but rather noting that the initial impression is not different than other consumer names. I didn't know it was a consumer line so that's what I asked when it appeared to have the same types of feedback. This is the first look into the name.

On a side note, my 11 year old Netgear has never had a hiccup. That's what I'm trying to upgrade without creating problems and hoping for similar dependability.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
On a side note, my 11 year old Netgear has never had a hiccup. That's what I'm trying to upgrade without creating problems and hoping for similar dependability.
Well. I had a brand new Netgear switch that it's power adapter went bad in less one month.

Electronics devices are not cooking wares. :(

Snap55

Feb 11, 2020
Well. I had a brand new Netgear switch that it's power adapter went bad in less one month.

Electronics devices are not cooking wares. :(

Seems that they used to be. Unfortunately things are now made with a specific lifespan in mind.
A friend has a car that he had in high school, over 50 years ago and the car is 65years old. No electronics.......

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
"smb space"?
Sorry, Small business marketed routers.

If you want reliability, look into fortigate products as I've had them recommended to me and may jump ship from Watchguard to them soon. I also have had great results with the Netgear FVS318N, although it was really rough for a long time. It can handle about 400Mbs and I don't think the 2 I have in production have been rebooted in months now.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
You're not providing the type of information that would allow for valuable feedback. An example is that you can shoot yourself in the foot within the Ubiquiti line of products if you don't take into consideration the speeds that you are getting from your ISP.

A USG paired with one of their AP's would cripple you if you have Gigabit service. A UniFi Dream Machine however won't.

You're speaking of their AmpliFi line but if you have a small home, you could be grossly overpaying if you went with a product in that line.

Snap55

Feb 11, 2020
You're not providing the type of information that would allow for valuable feedback. An example is that you can shoot yourself in the foot within the Ubiquiti line of products if you don't take into consideration the speeds that you are getting from your ISP.

A USG paired with one of their AP's would cripple you if you have Gigabit service. A UniFi Dream Machine however won't.

You're speaking of their AmpliFi line but if you have a small home, you could be grossly overpaying if you went with a product in that line.

Comfortable speed target would be 300 Mbps via wifi on 2.4 channel and higher on 5 channel; the future, who knows what will come to the neighborhood. Security is also of interest.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Create a Ubiquiti forum account and ask people what experience they have with the products.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Comfortable speed target would be 300 Mbps via wifi on 2.4 channel and higher on 5 channel; the future, who knows what will come to the neighborhood. Security is also of interest.
You will have better luck hitting 300Mbps on 5ghz. When we had 300Mbps our 2.4 was only 1/2 that 10 feet away from a good router in an overcrowded spectrum. It definitely didn't impress me.

Even on an Asus router used as an AP here where I have a completely clear airspace 2.4 won't even hit 100Mbps with 700Mbps at my disposal through an enterprise router.

Snap55

Feb 11, 2020
You will have better luck hitting 300Mbps on 5ghz. When we had 300Mbps our 2.4 was only 1/2 that 10 feet away from a good router in an overcrowded spectrum. It definitely didn't impress me.

Even on an Asus router used as an AP here where I have a completely clear airspace 2.4 won't even hit 100Mbps with 700Mbps at my disposal through an enterprise router.

I currently get 160 Mbps on 2.4 and hoped to take better advantage of the service provided. The 5.0 is not much better and can't reach 35 feet away into an adjacent room through two walls, not even connecting on laptop. Cell phone is reversed performance though.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well i use a supermicro half length 1u outfitted with a Xeon E3-1225 loaded with Pfsense.
And it handles 1GB both up and down perfectly fine.

Im sure you can get used gear for cheap on ebay, but you would need some idea on how to install Pfsense.

I am also tempted in using a Ubiquiti USG, however.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Like all open source x86 router / firewall solutions, pfSense's WiFi support is extremely poor. Let along 802.11n adapters, don't expect any new ac adapters are supported. You need separate APs to couple with pfSense .

Reactions: aigomorla

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You need separate APs to couple with pfSense .

yeah... i have 4 x ubiquiti AC-PRO's mounted in my house paired with a cloud key.
That is the only reason why i want a USG, so i can get everything on 1 web portal, but i have used Pfsense for so long, its grown too comfortable for me to get off of.

Reactions: SamirD