Bush Wins--Civil Disobedience Time

rextilleon

Feb 19, 2004
It appears that do to their incredible mastery of every dirty trick under the sun and their expert use of Propoganda, the Bushites will win this election. Kerry's campaign is run by people who have no idea how to fight the forces of Big Brother. Having said that, the next four years look glum. I would say that by year three of the IRaqi fiasco, major civil disobedience will occur. It is my hope that we revist that shinning moment in the 60's where we brought down one president and forced another one to act to bring our boys home. It will soon be time to take to the streets!

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
People like you instigate violence and fill the minds of kids with rage. Keep that civil disobedience junk to yourself, plz.

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
It's not just Kerry's campaign - the Democratic party has never put together a real candidate-campaign package. Clinton won by his charisma and intelligence, which were only amplified when compared to the zombie he was running against.

It's easy to be fatalist about it and give up, but I'm not ready to call it Bush's just yet. The odds are on his side, but it's still early September and there's plenty of time left.

edit: Make that zombies, forgot about '96 and Dole.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: raildogg
People like you instigate violence and fill the minds of kids with rage. Keep that civil disobedience junk to yourself, plz.

Earth to Raildog, Civil Disobedience is not violent.

We've survived the first 4 years of the Dub, we can survive another 4 if he were to win. Don't blame the Republicans if we have to endure another 4 years of his incompetent leadership, blame the Democrats for not running someone who was at least capable of defeating subpar leader like the Dub.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

We've survived the first 4 years of the Dub, we can survive another 4 if he were to win. Don't blame the Republicans if we have to endure another 4 years of his incompetent leadership, blame the Democrats for not running someone who was at least capable of defeating subpar leader like the Dub.

He mentioned the 60's, well in those days there are many bloody clashes with police and protestors. He's implieing that if Bush wins we oughta do the same thing.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: rextilleon
It appears that do to their incredible mastery of every dirty trick under the sun and their expert use of Propoganda, the Bushites will win this election. Kerry's campaign is run by people who have no idea how to fight the forces of Big Brother. Having said that, the next four years look glum. I would say that by year three of the IRaqi fiasco, major civil disobedience will occur. It is my hope that we revist that shinning moment in the 60's where we brought down one president and forced another one to act to bring our boys home. It will soon be time to take to the streets!

Guess what? The huge riots and protests over the Vietnam war ended abruptly after the draft was scrapped in 1973. After that, the antiwar protests were hardly different in size and effect than what we see today. The vast amjority of antiwar rioters of the 60s were fueled by kids scared of being drafted... not by any real moral problem with the war

This is why the antiwar folks are doing everything they can to get a draft passed, or at least spread as much FUD about a draft as possible.

You can dream all you like, but you'll never see anything like the 60s riots again unless a draft is passed... and that's a real big long shot.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Shining moment of the 60's....bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Shine on you crazy diamond.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused

Guess what? The huge riots and protests over the Vietnam war ended abruptly after the draft was scrapped in 1973. After that, the antiwar protests were hardly different in size and effect than what we see today. The vast amjority of antiwar rioters of the 60s were fueled by kids scared of being drafted... not by any real moral problem with the war

This is why the antiwar folks are doing everything they can to get a draft passed, or at least spread as much FUD about a draft as possible.

You can dream all you like, but you'll never see anything like the 60s riots again unless a draft is passed... and that's a real big long shot.

Correcto.

He wants mass demonstrations, angry mobs just running up and down streets, screaming anti Bush junk.

It aint going to happen. Well it will and does happen, like the demonstrations in NYC but I dont think that was as grand as he'd like.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Being conscripted to fight an immoral and ill advised war. Hmm can you think of a better reason to demonstrate?

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001

He mentioned the 60's, well in those days there are many bloody clashes with police and protestors. He's implieing that if Bush wins we oughta do the same thing.

And when the police and protestor's worked together, and they did, there where peaceful protests.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Being conscripted to fight an immoral and ill advised war. Hmm can you think of a better reason to demonstrate?
Well....from reading the OP I'm guessing the poster is some wild eyed high school or college kid who has no more idea about the real world than he does about what a vagina looks like. I have a feeling the only thing he has ever protested was when the local Best Buy ran out of the new Outkast CD.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

Well said. Sig worthy, even.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Well....from reading the OP I'm guessing the poster is some wild eyed high school or college kid who has no more idea about the real world than he does about what a vagina looks like. I have a feeling the only thing he has ever protested was when the local Best Buy ran out of the new Outkast CD.

[/quote] Well if his friends, nieghbors and relaitives were dying in Iraq even though they don't believe in it then he and those of his age group would be right to protest in volume. I believe the powers in charge know this and that is why they will not reinstitute the Draft. This is good news for America, it will keep those in power from going way overboard with their vision of Pax Americana and prevent them from preemptive invasions of Muslim countries like Iran and Syria because without the draft they will not have adequate manpower to execute their agenda and if they tried to reinstitute it they will find themselves out on their ass.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It is my hope that we revist that shinning moment in the 60's where we brought down one president and forced another one to act to bring our boys home.

You should instead protest your school for a sh!tty job in teaching you history and yourself for being silly enough to believe those 60s protesters at face value for all their claims. The President who got "brought down" was Nixon in 1974, and the second one was "forced to finally bring our boys home" was Ford because of Saigon being overrun by North Vietnamese invasion in 1975. If you think 60s protests had a damn thing to do with either one then you've probably already been hit by riot cop's baton to your head one too many times.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn1
It is my hope that we revist that shinning moment in the 60's where we brought down one president and forced another one to act to bring our boys home.

You should instead protest your school for a sh!tty job in teaching you history and yourself for being silly enough to believe those 60s protesters at face value for all their claims. The President who got "brought down" was Nixon in 1974, and the second one was "forced to finally bring our boys home" was Ford because of Saigon being overrun by North Vietnamese invasion in 1975. If you think 60s protests had a damn thing to do with either one then you've probably already been hit by riot cop's baton to your head one too many times.
Well you have to admist that the Protest that happened during Nixons tenure and his reaction to them had a lot to do with his fall. By the time he left in disgrace he was loathed by most!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Well you have to admist that the Protest that happened during Nixons tenure and his reaction to them had a lot to do with his fall. By the time he left in disgrace he was loathed by most!

I'll stipulate that. However, since the Watergate break-in which eventually forced Nixon out didn't happen until 1972, I don't exactly see the connection between protests in the 1960s and that.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
I have to admit that I've always been confused as to how hoping and striving toward world peace could be construed as a bad thing. Just mind-boggling to me.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

I'll stipulate that. However, since the Watergate break-in which eventually forced Nixon out didn't happen until 1972, I don't exactly see the connection between protests in the 1960s and that.
America's hatred of him???

tmservo

Aug 27, 2004
Exactly. The protests of the war led Nixon to one of the largest electoral and vote margin victories in our history in 1972. But if people want to protest in the streets and make kooks of themselves.. go ahead. Of course, if you get arrested for a felony, you won't be voting again soon, so good job there on keeping your voice in the process.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: tmservo
Exactly. The protests of the war led Nixon to one of the largest electoral and vote margin victories in our history in 1972. But if people want to protest in the streets and make kooks of themselves.. go ahead. Of course, if you get arrested for a felony, you won't be voting again soon, so good job there on keeping your voice in the process.
Hey it could be worse, they could be shot down in cold blood like they were at Kent State!

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001

President Johnson brought down...the anti-War protests.

"As more and more American soldiers died in Vietnam, Johnson's popularity declined, particularly in the face of student protests ("Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids have you killed today?").

[edit]
Retirement
In March 1968, in an address to the nation, Johnson announced that he would not seek renomination for the presidency, citing the growing division within the country over the war"

Nixon and Vietnam

1973 - Cease-fire Signed in Paris & Last Troops Leave Vietnam.

1974 - Nixon Resigns

1975 - South Vietnam falls to North Vietnam

You may want to consider your own advise("You should instead protest your school for a sh!tty job in teaching you history").

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
For all you history buffs out there - remember who Nixon was running against? Gee - what party had the riots outside the convention? Who was the pro-war candidate?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
President Johnson brought down...the anti-War protests.

"As more and more American soldiers died in Vietnam, Johnson's popularity declined, particularly in the face of student protests ("Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids have you killed today?").

Hmmm... I always considered the reason LBJ to have decided not to run again was that he had such a poor showing against Eugene McCarthy in the '68 primaries. He still won, but with Hubert Humphreys and RFK getting ready to enter the race, Johnson decided he'd had enough. That's not to say that anti-war protests weren't a factor, but it's only one factor. Of the factors LBJ cites in his memoirs, the pressure of the job were his top reason, the necessity to raise taxes second, and protesters third.