Bush wants to divert money from victims' funds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Stumps
and the third antichrist..George W Bush

With your prime minister unfalteringly holding bush's wang when he needs to take a leak on the world.
Pot calling the kettle black. You ozzies got your own neocons to clean up before you start getting on our case.

How did your labour leader describe Howard and friends? Oh yeah, "arselickers" and "a conga line of suckholes" (for bush)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
See this is the kind of opposition the left needs to be. I have to give you all that.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
hey our labour party are the biggest bunch of fvcktards ever produced,,they are a discrace to australia..when they were in power back in the late 80's early 90's they practically ruined our economy, despite it many failings the liberal government does a good job running our country...I wish the same could be said for your republican party..I don't have to supply the evidence..you guys do enougth of it here already

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Stumps
hey our labour party are the biggest bunch of fvcktards ever produced,,they are a discrace to australia..when they were in power back in the late 80's early 90's they practically ruined our economy, despite it many failings the liberal government does a good job running our country...I wish the same could be said for your republican party..I don't have to supply the evidence..you guys do enougth of it here already

If your looking for me to defend those idiots your barking up the wrong tree, the labour may be idiots but they sure speak out about how they feel.
(is a bit ignorant of oz political realm nowdays though.)

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
unfortunately for the labour party is that if the australian public wants to hear their opinon..it will fart.
the only thing they can do is critise the liberal party, because they can't anything else right, they will be paying for their mistakes back in the early 90's for a very long time. just a pity the US didn't learn from it's mistakes and do the same to the republican party, the only real difference is that our government is fairly harmless..your government has the potental to screw the whole world up..including my quiet little island at the bottom of the pacific...and they way GWB is going..looks like he will acheive this before the end of his term.

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
I'd like to see the exact wording of Bush's plan before I pass any judgement. Without seeing the plan nobody knows if there is another plan for funding the VOCA. does anyone know? Anyone have a link to that part of the budget that doesn't have a right or left slant of reporting?

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: TheGameIs21
I'd like to see the exact wording of Bush's plan before I pass any judgement. Without seeing the plan nobody knows if there is another plan for funding the VOCA. does anyone know? Anyone have a link to that part of the budget that doesn't have a right or left slant of reporting?

Hey, at least he didn't try to defend it. Instead, he punted. ;)

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
LOL

The exact wording?

I'm guessing there's a sunshine clause in there somewhere so that at least they can claim that it's only for now.

Similarly to how in Canada GST was supposed to be only for now. Now it stays.

Once government has your money good luck trying to pull their hand out of the cookie jar.

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28

Hey, at least he didn't try to defend it. Instead, he punted. ;)

Nope... Still retained posession of the ball. I am seriously curious as to what the full intent of Bush's plan is. This won't be the first time I don't agree with him if he wants to get rid of VOCA. My family rcvd money in '93 due to this and it was much needed to handle finances that occured because of the crime. I am also not one to immediately support or demonize anyone until I know what the total issue is.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I understand your reservations but haven't you noticed this administration's tendency to go after the crumbs while continuing massive waste on the bums?

What would be the rationale for changing the funding plan for the VOCA? Even if they had a good reason to change the funding mechanism, why would the general fund seize a chunk of the reserves?

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I understand your reservations but haven't you noticed this administration's tendency to go after the crumbs while continuing massive waste on the bums?

What would be the rationale for changing the funding plan for the VOCA? Even if they had a good reason to change the funding mechanism, why would the general fund seize a chunk of the reserves?
Your first statement: In this case, I don't know the specifics so I really can't answer your question directly other than to say I have seen massive waste/stupid decisions by all administrations. That doesn't make this issue the right thing to do as it is reported.

Rationale... Once again, that is what I'm trying to find out. Reading the few cookie cutter stories, it looks like there is over $1 billion NOT in circulation and that is not a good fiscal plan. I don't agree with taking all of the money kept in the fund at the end of '06 unless there is a plan to replenish the fund so that it is usable starting the first quarter of '07. Since none of the articles explain Bush's proposal other than to make it sound 100% negative (Which it could acutally be), I don't know where I stand on this specific issue.

I am simply looking for the background that all people should look at before they get into a frenzie like what was done recently with "Carter being snubbed."