Bush wants to divert money from victims' funds

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/articles/2005/04/10/local/local05.txt
As Victims' Rights Week begins, victims' advocates are seeking help from Hawaii's congressional delegation to restore money intended to help victims of violent crimes.

The Victims of Crime Act, established by President Ronald Reagan in 1981, collects fees and fines from federal criminal defendants and uses them for grants for compensation and services for victims locally. Congress caps how much money can be spent each fiscal year to keep a reserve in case less money is collected the next year. The current cap is $625 million.

The Bush administration wants to take away $1.2 billion dollars in reserves that would have been sitting in the fund at the beginning of fiscal year 2007 and divert that money, as well as any new revenues, into the government's general fund.

County Prosecuting Attorney Jay Kimura is among those who have asked the congressional delegation for their help in stopping that plan.

"I think it would be a terrible disservice to victims," Kimura said. "I understand the federal need for money to conduct their war, but these monies are monies that were set aside from fees by defendants in federal criminal cases ... specifically to assist victims. It doesn't affect taxes."

Adrian Kwock, branch chief of grants and planning for the state Attorney General's Office, said the state received nearly $1.9 million dollars in federal funds for victim services during the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30, 2006. Of that, $277,000 came to the Big Island.

Phyliss Shinno, who runs the Victim/Witness Assistance Program out of Kimura's office, said the federal dollars represent 29 percent of the money the victim assistance program receives. Another 28 percent comes from the state, while the county funds 43 percent.

The federal dollars pay for two of the four Big Island counselors in the victim program, as well as for three secretaries. Those people could lose their jobs if the county loses the federal money, Shinno said.

The federal, state and county governments also reimburse victims of certain violent crimes for lost wages and out-of-pocket expenses for funerals and medical bills. The covered crimes on the Big Island include murder, sexual assault, assault, domestic violence, felony negligent homicide and felony negligent injury.

About $103,331 in federal funds came to 1,145 Big Island applicants during fiscal year 2004.

The prosecutor's office gives 30 to 40 percent of its grant money to nonprofit groups that provide services for victims of sexual assault, child abuse and domestic violence, as well as to homicide victims' survivors.

Most of the remaining money that stays with the prosecutor's office is for salaries but some goes for miscellaneous services. For example, Shinno said, a woman whose mother was killed by a drunken driver received some money to fly to Oahu to participate in a hearing to determine when the driver would become eligible for parole.
I know people fought hard to get this fund going. It's completely unfathomable that the Propagandist would slight victims and their families like this. Oh wait...no it isn't. The Propagandist has no real compassion for anyone that doesn't donate to his campaign fund, his party, or just generally kiss his arse.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
ah bush..how much longer is he going to screw up the US?..I'm glad I'm all the way across the pacific..and only have to deal with the BS that little johnny howard dishes out..sucks to be a yank I say

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I don't understand why Bushophiles go after "effective" nickel and dime programs when there's loads of excess at DOD, DOE, DOT, and Medicare!

It's hard to believe they are this dumb. Even stupid thieves have enough sense to "go where the money is."

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just think- that $1.2B is just about the pricetag for one week's occupation of Iraq...

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I guess they figure unless you're a victim nobody wll give a rats ass, thus it goes hardly unnoticed

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28
I'd love to hear the rationale for this from the neocons.

it's just everyday business. we've turned into a fast food, pump it yourself, single-minded society. Unless things like this directly effect us most of us would be quite indifferent to it.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I don't understand why Bushophiles go after "effective" nickel and dime programs when there's loads of excess at DOD, DOE, DOT, and Medicare!

It's hard to believe they are this dumb. Even stupid thieves have enough sense to "go where the money is."

Then you have the Bush cabal...just when you think they couldn't stoop any more low, they go and surprise you (just use the crap Delay gets away with as a perfect example)

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Stumps
ah bush..how much longer is he going to screw up the US?..I'm glad I'm all the way across the pacific..and only have to deal with the BS that little johnny howard dishes out..sucks to be a yank I say

You would be correct. Would you care to switch?
I've been to Perth/Freemantle. Lovely place.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: rickn
Originally posted by: Darkhawk28
I'd love to hear the rationale for this from the neocons.

it's just everyday business. we've turned into a fast food, pump it yourself, single-minded society. Unless things like this directly effect us most of us would be quite indifferent to it.

Sad, but true. It seems that the tougher things get, the more prevalent that attitude is. Live and let die seems to be the SOP anymore. Our goverment seems to be more intent on creating victims then helping them. Fear and religion are good controllers.

It reminds me of one of my favorite "Wizard of Id" cartoons:

The King is speaking to the people from his balcony. He says "It's come to my atention that from time to time the people need some incentive to enourage them to work hard." The crowd gives a rousing cheer! The King continues, "So today we are hanging Sam the Sluggard!'

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Czar
thats just low

Correction - That's just Republican :|

i dont think that particularly fair. the party needs to start rooting out these sorts of things and get themselves acting what they are speaking.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
It's like they put their hands over their ears, close their eyes and scream...

"Bush is God, your truth shall not penetrate His aura!"

over and over again.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: arsbanned
Originally posted by: Stumps

You would be correct. Would you care to switch?
I've been to Perth/Freemantle. Lovely place.

I'd rather have a rabid feret muzzle at my testicles than live in the US, you guys might get some cool stuff that we don't get, but.....I like it here in the land of Oz, it's quiet and it's nowhere near the US..and the third antichrist..George W Bush