Bush turkey for troops only a decoration.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Administration officials tell Thursday's WASH POST that Bush picked up a decoration, not a serving plate for photo op... MORE... 'Officials said they did not know the turkey would be there or that Bush would pick it up. A contractor had roasted and primped the turkey to adorn the buffet line, while the 600 soldiers were served from cafeteria-style steam trays,' Mike Allen at POST to breathlessly report. White House officials do not deny that they craft elaborate events to showcase Bush, but they maintain that these events are designed to accurately dramatize his policies and to convey qualities about him that are real. 'This was effective, because it captured something about the president that people know is true, that he really cares about the soldiers and gets emotional when he sees them,' Mary Matalin, a former administration official, said about the trip to Baghdad... Developing...
http://www.drudgereport.com/

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
You know he only went there (at the last moment) to show his support for the troops AND to overshadow Sen. Clinton. Heck..Dubya's wife had no clue he was going, she was probably waiting in Texas pondering about why her hubby has not shown up yet. You've gotta love Karl Rove man... and I'll be waiting for him anxiously in August during the Republican convention in nY :heart:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Administration officials tell Thursday's WASH POST that Bush picked up a decoration, not a serving plate for photo op... MORE... 'Officials said they did not know the turkey would be there or that Bush would pick it up. A contractor had roasted and primped the turkey to adorn the buffet line, while the 600 soldiers were served from cafeteria-style steam trays,' Mike Allen at POST to breathlessly report. White House officials do not deny that they craft elaborate events to showcase Bush, but they maintain that these events are designed to accurately dramatize his policies and to convey qualities about him that are real. 'This was effective, because it captured something about the president that people know is true, that he really cares about the soldiers and gets emotional when he sees them,' Mary Matalin, a former administration official, said about the trip to Baghdad... Developing...

But...but...but...

Originally posted by: chess9
You guys pass around these right wing web sites with their inbred genetic defects and expect the rest of the world to read them uncritically. The mere collection of links on his web site, to say nothing of his wacky opinions, is enough to make someone with ANY taste and interest in meaningful dialogue want to throw up.
-Robert

:p

But anyway - your point is? So it was for aesthetics...does that somehow diminishes something? Do you have fake fruit on your dining room table? I think it's perfectly fine that there was a real turkey - it might have helped the troops fell a little more at home...than just seeing a slop line.

CkG

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

But...but...but...

Originally posted by: chess9
You guys pass around these right wing web sites with their inbred genetic defects and expect the rest of the world to read them uncritically. The mere collection of links on his web site, to say nothing of his wacky opinions, is enough to make someone with ANY taste and interest in meaningful dialogue want to throw up.
-Robert

:p

But anyway - your point is? So it was for aesthetics...does that somehow diminishes something? Do you have fake fruit on your dining room table? I think it's perfectly fine that there was a real turkey - it might have helped the troops fell a little more at home...than just seeing a slop line.

CkG

I guess the food the troops were eating wasn't good enough to take pictures with :)
I don't keep fruit on my dining room table unless it's for eating.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Slow news week? Slow news post! Big deal, so the troops were getting some kind of factory turkey and the bird the President was photographed with wasn't what they were eating. If you think that the things that show up in photo ops, Republican or Democratic, are real, contact me with a PM. I've got a good investment in a bridge. Likewise, if this is an important issue to you, find something constructive to do.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's more symbolic than anything. I mean they fake it all the way down to the turkey, "made in usa" stickers on boxes, "mission accomplished" banners, etc.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Drudge is a Bush hater? That's news to me.
Last thing I checked Drudge is a news blogger. Is that news to you? The source was Washington Post.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"... they fake it all the way down to the turkey..."

You, Sir, have a complete understanding of the Bush Administration and their methods.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

You, Sir, have a complete understanding of the Bush Administration and their methods.

Was Whitling's bridge a bargain?

CkG

Better than the one Bush sold you.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

A bridge to the future isn't better than what Whitling had to offer? Hmmm...maybe I could get in on Whitling's deal too - since I have been able to keep(and invest) more of my earnings because of Bush.:)

CkG

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Enjoy the extra income while you can, CagGuy. It's all borrowed money and has to be paid back with interest.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
That sure is a convincing fake. And I hear that's a plastic turkey, too. ;)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

CkG

A bridge to the future isn't better than what Whitling had to offer? Hmmm...maybe I could get in on Whitling's deal too - since I have been able to keep(and invest) more of my earnings because of Bush.:)

CkG

Bridge to a future of a bankrupt USA, high interest rates, and inflation? Where do I sign up?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Whitling
Enjoy the extra income while you can, CagGuy. It's all borrowed money and has to be paid back with interest.

Actually it's not "extra income" - it's a lowered income tax liability.;)
"Bridge to a future of a bankrupt USA, high interest rates, and inflation? Where do I sign up?" -ST

Exactly the reason we need to reform and audit ALL gov't spending. It's too bad that no one seems to be willing to enact such legislation...just more entitlements and wasteful spending.

CkG

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Cad, this is unworthy of you "Actually it's not "extra income" - it's a lowered income tax liability."

Yes, you're right but by such a small technicality I'd be embarrassed to have brought it up. Cad, doesn the "lowered income tax liability" give you more income? Or did you somehow manage to lower your tax liability and your income at the same time. Enjoy now, pay later.

EDITED: Whoops, I should have paid more attention to the emoticon. Obviously you're not serious.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Slow news week? Slow news post! Big deal, so the troops were getting some kind of factory turkey and the bird the President was photographed with wasn't what they were eating. If you think that the things that show up in photo ops, Republican or Democratic, are real, contact me with a PM. I've got a good investment in a bridge. Likewise, if this is an important issue to you, find something constructive to do.

They get the same turkey. Have you ever tried to keep up with a serving line carving for 600 people in a row?

We did the same thing on the Ranger when we were doin ops. A turkey on the line and the carved meat in an insert.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Cad, this is unworthy of you "Actually it's not "extra income" - it's a lowered income tax liability."

Yes, you're right but by such a small technicality I'd be embarrassed to have brought it up. Cad, doesn the "lowered income tax liability" give you more income? Or did you somehow manage to lower your tax liability and your income at the same time. Enjoy now, pay later.

EDITED: Whoops, I should have paid more attention to the emoticon. Obviously you're not serious.

No, I was serious - my income stayed the same...it's just that a liability due to my income was reduced. Yes - it is a perception thing - hence the wink. Now ofcourse my net income after taxes was increased, but my income(taxable wages) stayed the same. For me - not only will my AGI decrease due to tax credits and increased deductions(kids and marriage) but also rate which that AGI is taxed at will be lowered. So not until we get to "net"(the part I get to keep) does my "income" increase.

Meh - I've been over these tax-cuts too many times and will have to hash and rehash them until after the next election, but suffice it to say that I look at taxes as a cost(expenditure).

CkG

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Actually it's not "extra income" - it's a lowered income tax liability.;)
"Bridge to a future of a bankrupt USA, high interest rates, and inflation? Where do I sign up?" -ST

Exactly the reason we need to reform and audit ALL gov't spending. It's too bad that no one seems to be willing to enact such legislation...just more entitlements and wasteful spending.

CkG

Yeah, we heard that before. You don't like the government therefore you don't have to pay for it. Whatever lets you sleep at night.
Sitting there in Iowa, which is on the receiving end of federal taxes funneled out of the western and north east states, coming up with excuses for why you should pay less taxes.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

Yeah, we heard that before. You don't like the government therefore you don't have to pay for it. Whatever lets you sleep at night.
Sitting there in Iowa, which is on the receiving end of federal taxes funneled out of the western and north east states, coming up with excuses for why you should pay less taxes.

What? Did you not understand what I said? I didn't say I didn't like the gov't - I just don't like it's spending habits, which from your posts, I gather you don't like also. So there is no need to get all defensive...unless you like more entitlements and wasteful spending.;)

Anyway - it's about time for this thread to get back on-topic.
Gaard - are you trying to stir things up?;)

CkG

Edit for ST's pdf link - So Iowa is #20 and?

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

CkG

What? Did you not understand what I said? I didn't say I didn't like the gov't - I just don't like it's spending habits, which from your posts, I gather you don't like also. So there is no need to get all defensive...unless you like more entitlements and wasteful spending.;)

Anyway - it's about time for this thread to get back on-topic.
Gaard - are you trying to stir things up?;)

CkG

It's the government we the people created, it's the government we have to pay for or change with our votes, not come up with excuses. That is all there is.
I would not put entitlements and wasteful spending in the same category.