Bush Set to Approve Takeover of 9 Military Plants by Dubai

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: 5150Joker
Originally posted by: fitzov
Originally posted by: BBond
Israel turns around and sells sensitive US military technology to the highest bidder all the time. Why the outcry about Dubai? Also the OP alleges Dubai's government direclty funded the 9/11 terrorists, where's your proof of these outlandish accusations?

PS If Israel is selling sensitive US military technology to the highest bidder, or if the bush administration is still treating AIPAC (another term you can Google) like they are part of the U.S. government, then they should all be held accountable -- just like Dubai.

BTW, do you have a specific reason for actually wanting to give control of sensitive military installations and information to foreign governments?

The problem is you're acting like this is a new phenomenon. It's clear you don't really care about the core issue and are just politically motivated to sling mud at the current administration. Since you're such a fan of google, why don't you look up how the US military has been dependent on foreign made components for a very long time. This isn't something new at all. You are nothing more than a troll.

P.S. I'm still waiting on your hard evidence that links the Dubai govt. as a financier of 9/11.

Let me see if I understand you correctly...allow Bush to sell-out the country because other people have done it in the past? Mmmmm...nah.

Oh the hypocrisy of some of you libs:

n this case, the plants in question are owned by Doncasters Group Ltd., a British company that is being purchased for $1.2 billion from the Royal Bank of Scotland Group by Dubai International Capital, which is owned by the United Arab Emirate government.

Try stretching your mind around a few salient points in your post. Doncasters Group Ltd., A BRITISH COMPANY.

Dubai International Capita. WHICH IS OWNED BY THE UNITED ARAB EMIRAGE GOVERNMENT.

See any difference there?

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Originally posted by: fitzov
Israel turns around and sells sensitive US military technology to the highest bidder all the time. Why the outcry about Dubai? Also the OP alleges Dubai's government direclty funded the 9/11 terrorists, where's your proof of these outlandish accusations?

PS If Israel is selling sensitive US military technology to the highest bidder, or if the bush administration is still treating AIPAC (another term you can Google) like they are part of the U.S. government, then they should all be held accountable -- just like Dubai.

BTW, do you have a specific reason for actually wanting to give control of sensitive military installations and information to foreign governments?

The problem is you're acting like this is a new phenomenon. It's clear you don't really care about the core issue and are just politically motivated to sling mud at the current administration. Since you're such a fan of google, why don't you look up how the US military has been dependent on foreign made components for a very long time. This isn't something new at all. You are nothing more than a troll.

P.S. I'm still waiting on your hard evidence that links the Dubai govt. as a financier of 9/11.

Let me see if I understand you correctly...allow Bush to sell-out the country because other people have done it in the past? Mmmmm...nah.

Oh the hypocrisy of some of you libs:

n this case, the plants in question are owned by Doncasters Group Ltd., a British company that is being purchased for $1.2 billion from the Royal Bank of Scotland Group by Dubai International Capital, which is owned by the United Arab Emirate government.

Try stretching your mind around a few salient points in your post. Doncasters Group Ltd., A BRITISH COMPANY.

Dubai International Capita. WHICH IS OWNED BY THE UNITED ARAB EMIRAGE GOVERNMENT.

See any difference there?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? This is what fitzov wrote:

et me see if I understand you correctly...allow Bush to sell-out the country because other people have done it in the past? Mmmmm...nah.

And I replied in kind with that quote to highlight his hypocrisy which seems to be shared by a large number of left wing zealots.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Here's one for you, Joker, that jerk off president you idolize attacked a nation on false evidence of a connection with bin Laden. Why hasn't he attacked Dubai? Why does he insist on giving away sensitive port and military installations to a nation that had connections with bin Laden?

9/11 report cited possible bin Laden, U.A.E. ties
CIA was ?irate? over how ally handled incident at hunting camp

WASHINGTON - The United States raised concerns with the United Arab Emirates seven years ago about possible ties between officials in that country and Osama bin Laden, according to a section of the Sept. 11 commission?s report that details a possible missed opportunity to kill the al-Qaida leader.

Republicans and Democrats alike are raising concerns this week about the Bush administration?s decision to let a U.A.E.-operated company take over operations at six American ports, in part citing ties the Sept. 11 hijackers had to the Persian Gulf country.

President Bush has called the U.A.E. a close partner on the war on terror since Sept. 11, and his aides have listed numerous examples of the country?s help.

The Sept. 11 commission?s report released last year also raised concerns U.A.E. officials were directly associating with bin Laden as recently as 1999.

Hunting camp cited
The report states U.S. intelligence believed that bin Laden was visiting an area in the Afghan desert in February 1999 near a hunting camp used by U.A.E. officials, and that the U.S. military planned a missile strike.

Intelligence from local tribal sources indicated ?bin Laden regularly went from his adjacent camp to the larger camp where he visited the Emirates,? the report said.

?National technical intelligence confirmed the location and description of the larger camp and showed the nearby presence of an official aircraft of the United Arab Emirates. But the location of bin Laden?s quarters could not be pinned down so precisely,? the report said.

The missile attack was never launched, and bin Laden moved on, the report said.

A month later, top White House counterterrorism official Richard Clarke ?called a U.A.E. official to express his concerns about possible associations between Emirati officials and bin Laden,? the report said.

Anger at CIA
CIA officials hoped to continue staking out the Afghan camp in hopes bin Laden would return and a possible strike could be launched.

But ?imagery confirmed that less than a week after Clarke?s phone call, the camp was hurriedly dismantled and the site was deserted,? the report said.

CIA officials were ?irate? and ?thought the dismantling of the camp erased a possible site for targeting bin Laden, the report said.

At a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee Thursday, Sen. Carl Levin, the ranking Democrat, asked Deputy Treasury Secretary Robert Kimmitt if he was aware of the 9-11 commission?s assertion that the United Arab Emirates represents ?a persistent counterterrorism problem? for the United States.

Kimmitt replied that administration figures involved in the decision to approve the deal ?looked very carefully? at information from the intelligence community.

?Any time a foreign-government controlled company comes in,? Kimmitt said, ?the intelligence assessment is of both the country and the company.?

?Just raise your hand if anybody talked to the 9-11 commission,? Levin told the administration representatives at the witness table. Nobody raised a hand.
© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link for those who can't think

Nowhere in that article does it present one shred of proof linking the Dubai government as financiers of the 9/11 attacks. Again I ask, where is the proof I've been asking for? All you have done is copy/pasted an article full of speculation.

Let me guess, Joker, you're ex-military and you currently work "in the Washington DC area", right?

Do you work for the Lincoln Group? Or is it one of the other myriad bush administration propaganda outlets?

Oh boy, more left wing zealot conspiracy theories. Put on your tinfoil hat boys!

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I'll put on my tinfoil hat if it keeps bush from handing over control of American ports and military infrastructure to terrorist states.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I'll put on my tinfoil hat if it keeps bush from handing over control of American ports and military infrastructure to terrorist states.

I'll take that as you capitulating to the reality of the situation: that there is no proof whatsoever linking Dubai as the financier of the 9/11 attacks and that your original post was full of lies and speculation that was nothing more than cheap political mud slinging.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
All Dubaians are terrorists!

Things like security and things that deal with the military being sold to a foreign company should always undergo a slow and careful review, and not be pushed down someone's throat.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

I'll take that as you capitulating to the reality of the situation: that there is no proof whatsoever linking Dubai to the 9/11 attacks and that your original post was full of lies and speculation that was nothing more than cheap political mud slinging.

You obviously haven't read the 9/11 report. Oh, but that's just cheap polical mudslinging too, right? Anything ouside the party line is cheap political mudslinging, right?

You never answered my question, why are you and bushboy so hell bent on handing over American ports and military infrastructure to terrorist states? Do you own shares in The Carlyle Group too? Along with bush's daddy?

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: maddogchen
All Dubaians are terrorists!

Things like security and things that deal with the military being sold to a foreign company should always undergo a slow and careful review, and not be pushed down someone's throat.

You fools believed that line when bush said it about Iraq. ;)

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
If you all really want an eye opener just Google -- neil bush dubai -- I wonder why our "leader" is so interested in giving away the store to a terrorist state? Could it be that Dubai finances so much of the bush family?

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

I'll take that as you capitulating to the reality of the situation: that there is no proof whatsoever linking Dubai to the 9/11 attacks and that your original post was full of lies and speculation that was nothing more than cheap political mud slinging.

You obviously haven't read the 9/11 report. Oh, but that's just cheap polical mudslinging too, right? Anything ouside the party line is cheap political mudslinging, right?

You never answered my question, why are you and bushboy so hell bent on handing over American ports and military infrastructure to terrorist states? Do you own shares in The Carlyle Group too? Along with bush's daddy?

I see so now it's gone from "google it" to "read the 9/11 report". You truly are a nutcase. I think you've been worshipping at the ganja scented cindy sheehan altar too much.

Feb 16, 2005

I see so now it's gone from "google it" to "read the 9/11 report". You truly are a nutcase. I think you've been worshipping at the ganja scented cindy sheehan altar too much.

I think you forgot the usual neo-con Clinton reference in that insult above, you're getting rusty.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

What's wrong, Joker, can't you handle Google and the 9/11 report too? Are those too many sources to destroy your fantasy?

Read the 9/11 report. Google a few search terms. Then STFU because you've been "pwned". :)

Or just stay inside your carefully constructed fantasy world and keep spreading the bush dogma. Be sure to spread it nice and thick. No one likes a thin coat of bullsh!t.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

What's wrong, Joker, can't you handle Google and the 9/11 report too? Are those too many sources to destroy your fantasy?

Read the 9/11 report. Google a few search terms. Then STFU because you've been "pwned". :)

Or just stay inside your carefully constructed fantasy world and keep spreading the bush dogma. Be sure to spread it nice and thick. No one likes a thin coat of bullsh!t.

The only thing that I've been "pwned" by is the sheer stupidity of your posts. When asked to provide proof of your absurd statements, you resort to infantile accusations of me being part of the Lincoln Group or owning shares in the Carlyle Group. Like I said, you truly are a nutcase.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
Wow, I'm a left-wing zealot now. I guess I ought to check in with my local ACLU for available benefits.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004

The only thing that I've been "pwned" by is the sheer stupidity of your posts. When asked to provide proof of your absurd statements, you resort to infantile accusations of me being part of the Lincoln Group or owning shares in the Carlyle Group. Like I said, you truly are a nutcase.

Can't you read? Check out the links I posted then tell me how I didn't provide any proof. You're beginning to remind me of every other dismissive idiot on this forum. You ask for proof, you're given proof, you ignore proof. You're simply too damn stupid to see what's right in front of your eyes. WTFU and smell the coffe already.

Dubai funded terrorism. Particularly the terrorists who perpetrated 9/11. Now this insane religious zealot you ignoramouses elected as president (after he lost the first time but still won) has decided to give the nation away to terrorists and illegal aliens.

And you have the nerve to call me a nutcase. :roll:

You're either george w. bush, an illegal alien, or some caliphate from Dubai. Ohterwise you're just too damn stupid for words.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com

Can't you read? Check out the links I posted then tell me how I didn't provide any proof. You're beginning to remind me of every other dismissive idiot on this forum. You ask for proof, you're given proof, you ignore proof. You're simply too damn stupid to see what's right in front of your eyes. WTFU and smell the coffe already.

Dubai funded terrorism. Particularly the terrorists who perpetrated 9/11. Now this insane religious zealot you ignoramouses elected as president (after he lost the first time but still won) has decided to give the nation away to terrorists and illegal aliens.

And you have the nerve to call me a nutcase. :roll:

You're either george w. bush, an illegal alien, or some caliphate from Dubai. Ohterwise you're just too damn stupid for words.

All you linked to was a speculative article about a couple Dubai officials having a camp near Osama's back in the 90s. You did not provide a single shred of proof to reaffirm your position that Dubai directly financed the 9/11 attacks. That is the jist of the matter and all you've done is link to articles that have nothing to do wtih it in a vain attempt to prove a "point".

So now not only am I a member of the Lincoln Group and a Carlyle stock holder, I'm an illegal alien and a caliphate from Dubai. Thanks for proving my point about you being a nutcase.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Speaking of nutcase, this is what you'd hand over critical military infrastructure to...

Bin Laden's operatives still using freewheeling Dubai

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) ? Osama bin Laden's operatives still use this freewheeling city as a logistical hub three years after more than half the Sept. 11 hijackers flew directly from Dubai to the United States in the final preparatory stages for the attack.

The recent arrest of an alleged top al-Qaeda combat coach is the latest sign that suspected members of the terrorist organization are among those who take advantage of travel rules that allow easy entry. Citizens of neighboring Gulf states such as Saudi Arabia can come to Dubai without visas, which other nationalities can get at the country's ports of entry.

Once here, it's easy to blend in to what has become a cosmopolitan crowd.

The Emirates is home to an estimated 4 million people, and nearly 75% of them are foreigners. In Dubai, expatriates of all nationalities are catered to, from concerts by top Western musicians to cricket and rugby matches to a German-styled Oktoberfest.

The expatriates, mostly from the Indian subcontinent and the Arab world, are employed in the real estate, insurance, tourism and banking sectors. Westerners, numbering in the tens of thousands, are employed as military advisers and oil specialists.

While the Emirates has taken concrete steps to fight terrorism since Sept. 11, 2001 ? including making high-profile arrests, passing an anti-money laundering law, and imposing close monitoring procedures on charity organizations ? the characteristics that make it an ideal place for legitimate business also attract militants and others with suspect motives.

In August, Pakistani Qari Saifullah Akhtar, suspected of training thousands of al-Qaeda fighters for combat, was arrested in the Emirates and turned over to officials in his homeland, authorities in Pakistan announced.

Emirates authorities have refused to comment on Akhtar's arrest. They were similarly tightlipped in 2002, when the United States announced the arrest of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, the suspected mastermind of the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole, which killed 17 U.S. sailors.

It was a month before Emirates officials confirmed al-Nashiri had been arrested here. Then they said he had been planning to attack "vital economic targets" in the Emirates that were likely to inflict "the highest possible casualties among nationals and foreigners."

The Saudi-born al-Nashiri, one of six Cole defendants in an ongoing trial in Yemen, is in U.S. custody at an undisclosed location. Besides the Cole attack, he is suspected of helping direct the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, U.S. officials say.

With open borders, multiethnic society and freewheeling business rules, the Emirates remains vital to al-Qaeda operations, said Evan F. Kohlmann, a Washington-based terrorism researcher.

Dubai still "plays a key role for al-Qaeda as a through-point and a money transfer location," Kohlmann said, although he also noted the country could be working to combat such activity with "an aggressive but low-profile intelligence strategy."

al-Qaeda isn't the only organization that has found Dubai useful. The father of Pakistan's nuclear program, Abdul Qadeer Khan, has acknowledged heading a clandestine group that, with the help of a Dubai company, supplied Pakistani nuclear technology to Iran, Libya and North Korea.

Emirates officials refused to discuss the country's latest steps to combat terror.

Dia'a Rashwan, an Egyptian expert on militant groups, said trumpeting developments such as the arrest of al-Qaeda suspects could be misread as serving the United States when the Emirates, led by its President Sheik Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, cultivates an image as a champion of Arab causes. The Emirates nonetheless has a close relationship with Washington.

Rashwan said the reticence also could stem from fear that saying too much could cause "panic among the huge expatriate community, which is proportionally the largest in the Gulf."

Kohlmann said if more al-Qaeda suspects are arrested in the Emirates, the network might retaliate with a strike here, perhaps on a U.S. mission or military target.

While the country has not been singled out as a target by al-Qaeda, the United States issued a warning in June that it had "information that extremists may be planning to carry out attacks against Westerners and oil workers in the Persian Gulf region, beyond Saudi Arabia."

Security is tight in the Emirates, but not visible, and violent crimes are uncommon.

"The United Arab Emirates is considered a safe haven for everybody," said Emirates analyst Abdulkhaleq Abdulla. "It has not yet got entangled in any of the violence that other countries around it have experienced and it wants to keep that image."

Shortly after the Sept. 11, attacks, U.S. authorities said the United Arab Emirates, especially the commercial hub Dubai, was a major transit and money transfer center for al-Qaeda.

A new report dated Aug. 21 by the U.S. commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks provided the most detail yet on the extent to which the hijackers used Dubai as a travel hub.

According to the U.S. government, 13 of the 19 hijackers entered the United States between April 23 and June 29, 2001. And 11 of those late-arrivers ? who were Saudi citizens and primarily the "muscle" for the hijackings ? went through Dubai, according to the report.

The hijackers traveled in groups of two or three, taking off from Dubai and arriving at airports in Miami, Orlando, or New York City, the report said.

As for the money trail, Bin Laden's alleged financial manager, Mustafa Ahmed al-Hisawi, received at a Dubai bank a transfer of $15,000 two days before the Sept. 11 attacks and then left the Emirates for Pakistan, where he was arrested last year.

Marwan Al-Shehhi, an Emirates citizen and one of the hijackers, received $100,000 via the United Arab Emirates. Another hijacker, Fayez Banihammad, also was from the Emirates.

About half of the $250,000 spent on the attacks was wired to al-Qaeda terrorists in the United States from Dubai banks, authorities said. al-Qaeda money in Dubai banks also has been linked to the 1998 U.S. Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

Don't skip that last paragraph, nutcase.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Again, nothing in that article links UAE/Dubai's government having a hand in 9/11. All it demonstrates is that Dubai is a modern port city that had lax entry rules which attracted Al-Qaeda and legitimate businesses to operate there. All fluff, no substance.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Again, nothing in that article links UAE/Dubai's government having a hand in 9/11. All it demonstrates is that Dubai is a modern port city that had lax entry rules which attracted Al-Qaeda and legitimate businesses to operate there. All fluff, no substance.

You are, if it is indeed possible, in more of a state of denial than george w. bush himself.

Enough time wasted with you. You're obviously a fool and arguing with a fool is a waste of time.

Next time the UAE sends their goons over here to blow up a building or two I sincerely hope you're in it. There will be no need to waste time proving their complicity to you then.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
BTW, Lou Dobbs just reported that the moron signed off on this deal and instead of following the rules and sending the complete report on this latest mistake to congress, the idiot-in-chief sent it to the leaders of the house and senate marked classified.

Now, just what do you think georgie boy is trying to hide this time?

ECUHITMAN

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: ECUHITMAN
Originally posted by: smack Down

I think National security comes into play with increased risk of stealling the designs.

What we are worried that terrorists will start building turbines? Most of our top secret things are what we called SCI (secret compartmented information) which means one company only makes a small part and only those in government that have the clearance ever get to see the big picture. Sure there is the risk that they could steal the designs for a tank turbine and sell it to someone (N. Korea, Iran, etc) but that might be hard to do considering all the scrutiny that would be on them.
And the government is *so* good at scruitinizing everything perfectly. Why introduce the possibility?

While I agree that prudence is best considering the current state of the world, I just do not like the idea of not allowing this because of their race and/or religion. People can say all they want about ties to a government yada yada yada, but deep down I believe that it is because they are Muslim and that is the only reason why it gets so much press and why people feel so strongly against it. Sure in the end, this COULD be some major conspiracy by the terrorists to try and do something but once we start down this road of suspicion and secret trials we have McCarthyism at it's finest. The next step would be to put Muslims and suspected terrorists in prison some place and never charge them with anything.

Originally posted by: TGS
Sensitive Compartmentalized Information

I stand corrected. Thanks.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Unbelievable, I just read about this tonight. WTF IS OUR ADMINISTRATION THINKING???

From CNN.

Among Doncasters' units is a plant in Georgia that is the sole supplier of turbine fan parts for U.S. Abrams battle tanks. The interagency Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States sent its confidential recommendation on the Dubai takeover of Doncasters to Bush on April 13.

Good luck peeps from Georgia. We've just been hostilely taken over by a country that supported 9/11 for 1.24 billion. Everyone has their price, and our country just got played. WHY WASN'T THIS FRONT PAGE NEWS??

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
WHY WASN'T THIS FRONT PAGE NEWS??

Because the bush White House owns the front page.
It's just astounding that this deal went through after the other Dubai port one was shot down.