Bush Outlines Agenda For Second Term

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
By JENNIFER LOVEN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A minority president no more, President Bush (news - web sites) sketched a second-term agenda Thursday that includes fighting the worldwide war on terror and seeking tax overhaul and fundamental changes in Social Security (news - web sites) at home.

"I've earned capital in this election and I'm going to spend it for what I've told the people I'd spend it on," he said.

Bush also pledged to pursue the foreign policy that was a flashpoint in the presidential campaign and has sparked criticism by some American allies in Europe.

"There is a certain attitude in the world by some that says that it's a waste of time to try to promote free societies in parts of the world," he said, a reference to Iraq (news - web sites) in particular. "I've heard that criticism," he said.

"Remember, I went to London to talk about our vision of spreading freedom throughout the greater Middle East and I fully understand that that might rankle some and be viewed by some as folly."

Told by a reporter that Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) had died, Bush said he intended to "continue to work for a free Palestinian state that's at peace with Israel." Later reports said that Arafat, in a coma in Paris, was still alive.

Bush sidestepped questions about changes in his Cabinet and potential vacancies in the Supreme Court, where Chief Justice William Rehnquist (news - web sites) recently disclosed he was undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer.

"I haven't made any decisions on the Cabinet yet," Bush said. Nor about his top staff, he added. Changes are widely expected in both, possibly at the Justice Department (news - web sites) and State Department.

As for the nation's highest court, he said, "There's no vacancy for the Supreme Court and I will deal with a vacancy when there is one."

Bush fielded questions after securing re-election in a campaign framed by the war in Iraq and economic issues at home. Nearly complete returns gave him 51 percent of the popular vote ? a contrast to 2000, when he lost the popular vote but won the Electoral College (news - web sites).

For the second straight day, he pledged to reach out to those who opposed his re-election.

"The campaign over, Americans are expecting a bipartisan effort and results. I will reach out to every one who shares our goals," he said.

"Democrats want a free and peaceful world," he said at one point.

He opened his first postelection news conference by prodding the lame duck Congress that meets later this month to send him an overdue spending bill. He also called for approval of legislation to overhaul the nation's intelligence apparatus to help protect against another attack.

Turning his attention to the new Congress, where Republicans gained seats in Tuesday's elections, he said he wants legislation to fundamentally reorder Social Security and the tax system.

Bush has long advocated changes in Social Security to permit workers to invest a portion of their own payroll taxes in individual retirement accounts. The proposal is intensely controversial, and opposed by many Democrats who argue it would undermine the finances of a system originally established to provide pensions to retirees.

"I earned capital in the campaign and now I intend to spend it," he said. "And I'm going to spend it for what I told the people I would spend it on."

His comment about earning political capital reflected the reality of an election in which he won a second term and his party gained seats in both the House and Senate.

At the same time, the Democratic minority has enough seats in the Senate to block legislation by filibuster, and it will be up to the Democrats to decide how often to use that power.

The president began his day by meeting with his Cabinet. After the news conference, he looked ahead to a weekend trip to Camp David, where he said he would consider personnel changes for the second term.

"It's inevitable there will be changes," he said, adding that speculation about switches were a "great Washington sport."

He cautioned against participating in it, saying he hadn't made any decisions.

Earlier, Bush took congratulatory calls from the presidents of Iraq, Afghanistan (news - web sites), Poland and Russia and the prime ministers of Israel and Italy, and convened a meeting of his Cabinet.

The president told the Cabinet, "We've still got work to do."

"We're here for a reason," the president said. "It is a privilege to sit around this table."

Bush also invited campaign workers to the White House for a thank-you celebration.

His second term secured, Bush asked the 55 million people who voted to oust him from office to get behind him.

In a victory speech late Wednesday, Bush said reaching his goals "will require the broad support of Americans." He asked Kerry's disappointed supporters to back him ? even though many of his proposals are anathema to those who opposed his re-election.

"I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust," he said. "When we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
And to the reporters who tried to ask follow-up questions, Bush responded that the reporters were not obeying the "one question rule" and had not "listened to the will of the people".

I suppose it's the people who must change to match his will and not for him to work for compromise. Great Uniter? Give me a fvcking break.

Great...all hail King George.

Yay for us.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Bush is a joke, and 4 more years (if he survives) will solidify that appearance to the World (who already know) and Bush's whores here in the United States (the people that voted for him) WILL know it.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Bush is a joke, and 4 more years (if he survives) will solidify that appearance to the World (who already know) and Bush's whores here in the United States (the people that voted for him) WILL know it.
:cookie:

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: jpeyton
By JENNIFER LOVEN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A minority president no more, President Bush (news - web sites) sketched a second-term agenda Thursday that includes fighting the worldwide war on terror and seeking tax overhaul and fundamental changes in Social Security (news - web sites) at home.

"I've earned capital in this election and I'm going to spend it for what I've told the people I'd spend it on," he said.

Bush also pledged to pursue the foreign policy that was a flashpoint in the presidential campaign and has sparked criticism by some American allies in Europe.

"There is a certain attitude in the world by some that says that it's a waste of time to try to promote free societies in parts of the world," he said, a reference to Iraq (news - web sites) in particular. "I've heard that criticism," he said.

"Remember, I went to London to talk about our vision of spreading freedom throughout the greater Middle East and I fully understand that that might rankle some and be viewed by some as folly."

Told by a reporter that Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) had died, Bush said he intended to "continue to work for a free Palestinian state that's at peace with Israel." Later reports said that Arafat, in a coma in Paris, was still alive.

Bush sidestepped questions about changes in his Cabinet and potential vacancies in the Supreme Court, where Chief Justice William Rehnquist (news - web sites) recently disclosed he was undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer.

"I haven't made any decisions on the Cabinet yet," Bush said. Nor about his top staff, he added. Changes are widely expected in both, possibly at the Justice Department (news - web sites) and State Department.

As for the nation's highest court, he said, "There's no vacancy for the Supreme Court and I will deal with a vacancy when there is one."

Bush fielded questions after securing re-election in a campaign framed by the war in Iraq and economic issues at home. Nearly complete returns gave him 51 percent of the popular vote ? a contrast to 2000, when he lost the popular vote but won the Electoral College (news - web sites).

For the second straight day, he pledged to reach out to those who opposed his re-election.

"The campaign over, Americans are expecting a bipartisan effort and results. I will reach out to every one who shares our goals," he said.

"Democrats want a free and peaceful world," he said at one point.

He opened his first postelection news conference by prodding the lame duck Congress that meets later this month to send him an overdue spending bill. He also called for approval of legislation to overhaul the nation's intelligence apparatus to help protect against another attack.

Turning his attention to the new Congress, where Republicans gained seats in Tuesday's elections, he said he wants legislation to fundamentally reorder Social Security and the tax system.

Bush has long advocated changes in Social Security to permit workers to invest a portion of their own payroll taxes in individual retirement accounts. The proposal is intensely controversial, and opposed by many Democrats who argue it would undermine the finances of a system originally established to provide pensions to retirees.

"I earned capital in the campaign and now I intend to spend it," he said. "And I'm going to spend it for what I told the people I would spend it on."

His comment about earning political capital reflected the reality of an election in which he won a second term and his party gained seats in both the House and Senate.

At the same time, the Democratic minority has enough seats in the Senate to block legislation by filibuster, and it will be up to the Democrats to decide how often to use that power.

The president began his day by meeting with his Cabinet. After the news conference, he looked ahead to a weekend trip to Camp David, where he said he would consider personnel changes for the second term.

"It's inevitable there will be changes," he said, adding that speculation about switches were a "great Washington sport."

He cautioned against participating in it, saying he hadn't made any decisions.

Earlier, Bush took congratulatory calls from the presidents of Iraq, Afghanistan (news - web sites), Poland and Russia and the prime ministers of Israel and Italy, and convened a meeting of his Cabinet.

The president told the Cabinet, "We've still got work to do."

"We're here for a reason," the president said. "It is a privilege to sit around this table."

Bush also invited campaign workers to the White House for a thank-you celebration.

His second term secured, Bush asked the 55 million people who voted to oust him from office to get behind him.

In a victory speech late Wednesday, Bush said reaching his goals "will require the broad support of Americans." He asked Kerry's disappointed supporters to back him ? even though many of his proposals are anathema to those who opposed his re-election.

"I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust," he said. "When we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

It's the highlighting game! Whee!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Ah, here's a paragraph from a Wash. Post article:

After Associated Press reporter Terence Hunt opened the questioning with a three-parter, Bush said: "Now that I've got the will of the people at my back, I'm going to start enforcing the one-question rule. That was three."

Wow.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Bush's Second Term:

1. Take more vacation - 6 months/year

2. Nuke Iran or North Korea

3. Take Dick to Disneyland [my brother Jeb can get us in for free! SHHHHHH]

4. Change all White House toilet paper to the design of the American Flag.

5. Use the Patriot Act to capture all Liberals and those who speak out against my Regime.

6. Get a pat on the head from Daddy.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: conjur
Ah, here's a paragraph from a Wash. Post article:

After Associated Press reporter Terence Hunt opened the questioning with a three-parter, Bush said: "Now that I've got the will of the people at my back, I'm going to start enforcing the one-question rule. That was three."

Wow.

Wow? :confused:

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Wow as in, holy fvcking sh*t he's gone MAD!
Because he was tight-assed about the 1-question format or because he claimed to have the "will of the people at this back?" I'm being serious - what about that quote blew your mind?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Because he was tight-assed about the 1-question format or because he claimed to have the "will of the people at this back?" I'm being serious - what about that quote blew your mind?

I'm bothered by the "will of the people" comment, because 49% of the country might disagree with that. It's like he's pretending he received some divine mandate or 75% of the vote or something.

imported_Aelius

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2004
You forget that it's the fine qualities, ideologies, and convictions that were the basis of re-electing Bush.

Of course he will be supported fully by those who did.

This is just a prime example of one of those three things.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
I'm bothered by the "will of the people" comment, because 49% of the country might disagree with that. It's like he's pretending he received some divine mandate or 75% of the vote or something.
I can understand that, I suppose. That's certainly one way of looking at it. But since 51% of the votersdid vote for him, that's a pretty big group, too. *shrug* Semantics and interpretation, I guess.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Well he's had a divine mandate for a while. :D

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Both. "will of the people"? A 2.5% winning margin from registered voters is not a mandate nor the "will of the people". It's the will of the people that voted for him which represents only about 1/5 of this country of nearly 300 million people.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Bush's Second Term:

3. Take Dick to Disneyland [my brother Jeb can get us in for free! SHHHHHH]

That does sound like something the President would say!