Bush on Meet The Press tomorrow morning (This place should be hopping!)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon The only export coming out of Afganistan is opium....I've never heard it refered to before as "OIL", is this a new street term I'm not familiar with?

it's a war..over 3000 people died in one day in three airplanes, the Pentagon, and in New York....
a minor detail, eh?

Before sept 11, deligates from a few countries, US, UK, France, Germany and I think Russia were holding talks with the Taliban over a pipeline through Afghanistan. At one point the US reprisentative got tired how the Taliban reprisentatives were hard to negotiate with he threatened the use of force.
Maybe it was an idle threat or maybe an actual real threat.
All the pipeline deals fell thru because there is not a stable goverment in afghanistan. I would assume that is why there is still no pipeline going thru that country.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon The only export coming out of Afganistan is opium....I've never heard it refered to before as "OIL", is this a new street term I'm not familiar with?

it's a war..over 3000 people died in one day in three airplanes, the Pentagon, and in New York....
a minor detail, eh?

Before sept 11, deligates from a few countries, US, UK, France, Germany and I think Russia were holding talks with the Taliban over a pipeline through Afghanistan. At one point the US reprisentative got tired how the Taliban reprisentatives were hard to negotiate with he threatened the use of force.
All the pipeline deals fell thru because there is not a stable goverment in afghanistan. I would assume that is why there is still no pipeline going thru that country.

I agree, with one more factor. Pipeline security. Even with a stable govt. forces unfriendly to it (and unfortunately that is bound to be substantial), being able to guard hundreds or thousands of miles of pipe just lying there from attack is unlikely.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

a minor detail, eh?

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Afghanistan's former Taliban rulers rebuffed more than 30 US requests to expel Osama bin Laden between 1996 and just before the September 11 attacks in 2001, newly declassified official documents revealed Friday.

Text

ASK THE COMMUNITY