Bush: No regrets over Iraq invasion

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
MESEBERG, Germany (CNN) -- U.S. President George W. Bush claimed Wednesday that he had no regrets about the decision to invade Iraq and topple Saddam Hussein in 2003 and reiterated his determination to force Iran to halt its nuclear program.

Bush, making the final official visit to Europe of his presidency, was speaking at a press conference in Germany after talks with Chancellor Angela Merkel.

He said he had told Merkel that diplomacy remained his preferred choice for dealing with Iran. But he added that "all options are on the table" and said Tehran needed to "verifiably suspend" its uranium enrichment program. Iran maintains that its nuclear ambitions are peaceful.

"The message to the Iranian government is very clear: that there's a better way forward than isolation and that is for you to verifiably suspend your enrichment program and the choice is theirs to make," Bush said.

On Tuesday the U.S. and the European Union on Tuesday issued a joint declaration urging tougher action against Iran over its nuclear program.

It said the U.S. and EU would implement previously passed Security Council resolutions on Iran and stood "ready to supplement those sanctions with additional measures."

Sanctions in place should be enforced, Bush said, and allies should work together for additional sanctions if Iran "ignores the demands of the free world."

Merkel said that further sanctions would follow if Iran failed to meet its commitments. "We again said we want to give room for diplomatic solutions, we want to give diplomacy a chance, but we also have to stay on that particular issue."

Asked about Iraq, Bush said "substantial" progress had been made in helping the country, adding that efforts in Iraq would "change the Middle East for the better."

"Removing Saddam Hussein made the world a safer place," Bush said. But he admitted once again that he regretted the tough rhetoric he had used in the run-up to the conflict which had made it appear he was eager to go to war.

In an interview with UK's Times newspaper Wednesday, Bush said using phrases such as "dead or alive" and "bring them on" had not created an impression of a man of peace.

He also said he had found it painful "to put youngsters in harm's way," adding that he had an obligation to make sure lives had not been lost in vain.

"One of the lessons of Iraq is that in order for a democracy to develop or for an economy to develop there has to be a measure of security, which is now happening," he said.

Bush said he also believed that the U.S. would develop a bilateral strategic agreement relationship with Iraq, a pact now under negotiation.

He said reports that the United States wanted to develop permanent bases in Iraq were "erroneous."

"I think we'll get the agreement done," he said. "This will not involve permanent bases nor will it bind any future president to troop levels."

All I can say is I am pissed. This guy can't get any worse!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITI...bush.europe/index.html

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Imagine there were no term limits, he would have attacked the entire globe looking for nukes realizing he and his allies are the only ones with any

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I'm sure that the vast majority of Europe (along with 75%+ of folks here in the U.S.) are breathing a collective sigh of relief that Bush is on his way out. Just counting down the days now . . .

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Iran Could Have Enough Uranium for a Bomb by Year's End

German Newspapers Blast Bush

"In Germany, America is no longer seen as a country of individual liberty, as a reliable ally and definitely not as a model. There are a large number of justified accusations levelled at Bush's policies. They include dangerous naivete, lies and the sustained infringement of human rights.

"Bush won't care, but in the thoughts and feeling of many Germans he is leaving behind a mixture of antipathy, ridicule, anger and skepticism towards US policies and towards America in general. Differentiating between the two has become more difficult with every year of his presidency.

"The memory of Bush will darken America's image in the world for years to come."

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Of course not, he and his lobbyists got rich off the "war".

Please demonstrate/identify where Bush has obtained any wealth from the war?

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I'm sure that the vast majority of Europe (along with 75%+ of folks here in the U.S.) are breathing a collective sigh of relief that Bush is on his way out. Just counting down the days now . . .

Thought still more than 40% of people judgement is still distorted that McCain is going to help US economy and people.

Can't those people stay home and not vote for anyone?

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Of course not, he and his lobbyists got rich off the "war".

Please demonstrate/identify where Bush has obtained any wealth from the war?
He personally got rich in the sense that he traded lobbyist petrodollars (the war) for another 4 years as president. Of course he's not going to leave a paper trail of actual personal $ outside of campaign financing, nobody's that stupid (not even him).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I don't think there was any problem with the invasion. Once the military was done and he allowed those 3 civilians bafoons to run it would be another thing.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course he doesn't have any regrets. He is in total denial. The stubborn tool still thinks history will judge him favorably.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: BassBomb
Imagine there were no term limits, he would have attacked the entire globe looking for nukes realizing he and his allies are the only ones with any

Stunning analysis!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is this really a surprise guys? Really? I'd bet money Bush honestly does have regrets over the invasion. (even if they are only regrets that it probably ruined his presidency) He is right politically for not admitting them though. If he even once says Iraq was a mistake he will get buried in a second.

So yeah he sucks for starting illegal wars and all, but if I were him I wouldn't show weakness now either.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Iran Could Have Enough Uranium for a Bomb by Year's End

German Newspapers Blast Bush

"In Germany, America is no longer seen as a country of individual liberty, as a reliable ally and definitely not as a model. There are a large number of justified accusations levelled at Bush's policies. They include dangerous naivete, lies and the sustained infringement of human rights.

"Bush won't care, but in the thoughts and feeling of many Germans he is leaving behind a mixture of antipathy, ridicule, anger and skepticism towards US policies and towards America in general. Differentiating between the two has become more difficult with every year of his presidency.

"The memory of Bush will darken America's image in the world for years to come."

Like they had anymore respect for Clinton. http://www.gambino.com/funstuff/clinton.htm

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: mshan
Bush would have to have a conscience to have regrets.

Mshan said it exactly correctly, short , sweet, and it covers it all.

The only thing that would ever cause him regrets is to end up in a jail cell which he richly deserves for his crimes against humanity.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SlingXShot

Topic Title: Bush: No regrets over Iraq invasion

Me: No regrets over trying and convicting the entire Bushwhacko administration for treason, murder, torture, war crimes, crimes against humanity and war proifiteering.

No regrets if they're all given all expenses paid lifetime accomodations at the beautiful downtown Guantanamo Hilton with free daily passes on the exciting waterboard ride.

Waterboarding isn't torture. They said so, themselves, and we can believe them... right??? :roll:

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Do not lose faith. There is still time to crown himself Emperor!

Failing that, he should at least go out to the tune of "My Way" by Frank Sinatra:

:music:
Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.
:music: