Bush Misuses Science, Report Says

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
My brother has more statistical qualifications than Lomborg. He is very good at what he does, being an actuary. He would be the first to admit that does not make him a scientist. Lomborg has no credibility.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
It's scary people don't understand how science works. Dari what exatly is your education level? Well I'm not sure why I ask I already know the answer. Anway you need to trust those with more expertisce than you in a field...Your problem as well as his he makes the most common amatuers mistake in science. REAL scientists use an inductive approach not a deductive one. The first draws generalizations from the data, the second applies preconceived generalizations to the data. Here is a link to help you undersand how science worksLink..

This guys is a fool, the laughing stock of the scientific community, paid for by intersted parties to spead spam about which he knows nothing. Sound Familiar Dari?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
just because Scientific American says something, it doesn't mean its true

Yes it does, In the sense, proven beyond reasonable doubt as so far not falsified. Unlike this moron.

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is no need to further debunk Lomborg. Dari's only claim AGAINST the naysayers (of Lomborg) is that they are all out with an agenda. Questioning the motives of an individual instead of making useful points against them is an example of an ad hominem attack.

Of course, Lomborg himself has his own agenda; there is no admission of that. And so does The Economist. Assuming for a minute that both the scientific community and the economic community have agendas, what stands without doubt is that the Scientific Community trumps the Economic Community on having credibility in scientific matters. Therefore, Lomborg's work - being only supported by people with the same agenda as him and who have no authoritative voice in scientific matters - simply doesn't hold up to criticism.

As well, Dari's claims that Lomborg's critics don't have any evidence against the book is not true; they don't say stuff like "we don't agree with him, he sucks!", instead they issue apropos statements regarding his poor research methodology which causes him to arrive at conclusions after misinterpreting data. These are statements, when issued by eminents in their respective fields at Top 10 Ivy League schools, that are never made unless supported by fact. In fact, the article outlines that those scientists did analyse Lomborg's work, and provide a report on their findings.

At this point, it doesn't matter if you're right-wing or left-wing; the only reason to continue to support Lomborg is if you are a brainwashed ideologue.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Dari is on a mission to save the world and I guess the easy way is to pretend there's nothing wrong. The ostrich has happen to it what it fears.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Yes, it seems Dari is guilty of something he often accuses others of: Believing only what they want to hear. It's funny how conservative republican types think they have so much more common sense than everyone else. You would think with all that common sense, they would realize that if you dump a bunch of crap into the environment, your environment will turn to crap.

Whatever... Right, Dari? It's OK to dump on the environment because it keeps business costs low. Dari doesn't want to have to pay a thin dime more than he absolutely has to. F all those idiots with AIDS. F the environment. F those stupid people who are sick with medical bills. Kill more I-raqis too, as long as it keeps the price of gas down, right? The problem is that if Bush didn't pretend to care about some of these issues he wouldn't be a compassionate conservative, he'd just be an a**hole.