Bush: Marriage for heterosexuals only

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
CNN is reporting that Bush is speaking out on the gay marriage issue, and seems to be adamantly opposed to it.
"I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I think we ought to codify that one way or another," Bush told reporters at a White House news conference. "And we've got lawyers looking at the best way to do that."
Bush is a conservative of course, but I didn't expect him to be so gung-ho against it. Is this the start of YALB(Yet Another Legal Battle)?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Where are all the gay-bashers from this forum? You'd think they'd be all over this crap?

"I believe marriage is between a man and a woman, and I think we ought to codify that one way or another," Bush told reporters at a White House news conference. "And we've got lawyers looking at the best way to do that."

Translation: We're clearly taking the mainstream Christian viewpoint on gay marriage. It's bad. It's a sin. Gays are going to hell. Blah diddy blah, da blah blah. Our crack-team of lawyers will ensure that we get our way, just like in that Affirmitive Action case before the Supreme Court. Oh wait... D'oh!

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Where are all the gay-bashers from this forum? You'd think they'd be all over this crap?

Translation: We're clearly taking the mainstream Christian viewpoint on gay marriage. It's bad. It's a sin. Gays are going to hell. Blah diddy blah, da blah blah. Our crack-team of lawyers will ensure that we get our way, just like in that Affirmitive Action case before the Supreme Court. Oh wait... D'oh!

Looking at the polls it appears to be the mainstream view period. Or at least the majority view.

Lutefisks

Jul 29, 2003
I agrees with Bush, it'd be better thou, if he added "gays can have some sort of legalized union".

Amirtallica

Banned
Apr 17, 2003
This is one of the rare times I have ever agreed with Bush. Homosexualites are basing their relationship solely on misguided sexual desire. If a person doesn't have normal instincts when it comes to mating, they could be a very dangerous individual. If they think a Penis has to go in a Butthole, they might just as easily think a bullet needs to go into someones head.
The argument I just made may not be valid, but thats my opinion.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Amirtallica
This is one of the rare times I have ever agreed with Bush. Homosexualites are basing their relationship solely on misguided sexual desire. If a person doesn't have normal instincts when it comes to mating, they could be a very dangerous individual. If they think a Penis has to go in a Butthole, they might just as easily think a bullet needs to go into someones head.
Okay then, go dig up stats on the % of men convicted of murder that are gay vs. the % of our overall populace who are gay. I'm guessing these will make your "argument" look completely moronic. Just say "I hate fags." and quit beating around the bush with your made-up reasons that they are bad people and a danger to us all.
rolleye.gif

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Definitely not valid but it's your opinion...however misinformed it is.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

Yeah, that's sorta what I expected.
rolleye.gif
You seem quite fixated on where people are putting their penises. Maybe you have some sort of problem you'd like to talk about? Other than being a hateful little 'tard that is?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ViRGE
CNN is reporting that Bush is speaking out on the gay marriage issue, and seems to be adamantly opposed to it.
Bush is a conservative of course, but I didn't expect him to be so gung-ho against it. Is this the start of YALB(Yet Another Legal Battle)?

I've heard him say that before, this isn't the first time he said that.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Looking at the polls it appears to be the mainstream view period. Or at least the majority view.
There are a lot of people living in the Bible Belt...Thank God I'm not one of them!

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Okay then, go dig up stats on the % of men convicted of murder that are gay vs. the % of our overall populace who are gay. I'm guessing these will make your "argument" look completely moronic. Just say "I hate fags." and quit beating around the bush with your made-up reasons that they are bad people and a danger to us all.
rolleye.gif

:D

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
rolleye.gif

no kidding

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
rolleye.gif

So we should all smoke pot, pack fudge and live happily ever after?

I disagree with Bush on this, but still disaprove of the gay men standing on a podium screaming look at me, I'm gay. I stick my penis in men's bums. Who gives a sh!t what you do with it as long as you do it behind closed doors. I don't organize parades in which I boast about banging my wife. Keep your own sex life to yourself, because I don't want to hear about it nor have to explain to my children what being a queer or drag queen is.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Though I sorta agree, this situation really shows the problem with Secular Governments meddling in Religious/Private affairs. Simply put: The Government never should have had anything to do with Marriage(sp) in the first place.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
More liberal lies..

since when is being FOR marriage

Mar"riage\, n. [OE. mariage, F. mariage. See Marry, v. t.] 1. The act of marrying, or the state of being married; legal union of a man and a woman for life, as husband and wife; wedlock; matrimony.

make you AGAINST homosexuals..

If you read or heard all of Bush's statement, he stressed inclusion and lack of judging others, he never said anything "anti" gay, he stated beliefs which were "pro" marriage.

I think that most people don't really care what consenting adults do in private. But don't try to tell me that I have to celebrate and embrace and applaud conduct I disagree with.

Don't tell me I have to change the definition of words to make someone else "feel good about themselves"

There are legal mechanisms for gays to form a "union" which has all the same elements of a marriage....if they want to do that, go for it.

if conservatives distorted what liberals said, like the liberals distort statements we would:
start calling people who are pro-choice "Anti-Life"
start calling people who are pro-gay "Anti-heterosexual" or "Heterophobic"
start calling people who are for gun control "Anti-constitutionalists"

lets get this straight..there is NO SUCH THING AS GAY MARRIAGE.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Exactly. We should privatize marriage. There's no valid reason for the gov't to be determining what is or isn't marriage anyway.... It all breaks down to a religious argument. Those opposed to gay marriage, generally oppose it based on religious reasons.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
More liberal lies..

since when is being FOR marriage

Mar"riage\, n. [OE. mariage, F. mariage. See Marry, v. t.] 1. The act of marrying, or the state of being married; legal union of a man and a woman for life, as husband and wife; wedlock; matrimony.

make you AGAINST homosexuals..

If you read or heard all of Bush's statement, he stressed inclusion and lack of judging others, he never said anything "anti" gay, he stated beliefs which were "pro" marriage.

I think that most people don't really care what consenting adults do in private. But don't try to tell me that I have to celebrate and embrace and applaud conduct I disagree with.

Don't tell me I have to change the definition of words to make someone else "feel good about themselves"

There are legal mechanisms for gays to form a "union" which has all the same elements of a marriage....if they want to do that, go for it.

if conservatives distorted what liberals said, like the liberals distort statements we would:
start calling people who are pro-choice "Anti-Life"
start calling people who are pro-gay "Anti-heterosexual" or "Heterophobic"
start calling people who are for gun control "Anti-constitutionalists"

lets get this straight..there is NO SUCH THING AS GAY MARRIAGE.

bookmark that definition and come back in a couple of years. I guarantee you it will change

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
I live in one of the few countries where gay marriage is legal.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

The christian party blocked the proposed law for years and we needed a coalition change to pass the law.

IMO being gay is a livestyle just like another. It's as valid as a heterosexual relation so why should gays be excluded from marriage???

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't want to...have to explain to my children what being a queer or drag queen is.

rolleye.gif

Better if they're sheltered for the first 18 years of their life, then suddenly when they move out and see a "queer" or "drag queen," they become as hateful and bigoted as Amirtallica, huh?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
I don't understand the big deal about changing the definition of marriage. Its really no big deal in my eyes. Its just a word. First off, it has been the jurisdiction of the states to give marriage certificates. These marriage certificates must be legally recognized in all the other states. The problem is this excludes gays from marriage due to its current definition. So many people (including the Dem candidates and even Bill O'Reilly) say certificates of "civil unions" are good, which give gay couples the same exact legal rights as straight married couples. The problem with this is that it is just like the "separate but equal" problem with segregation. The Supreme Court has ruled that separate but equal is inherently unequal.

So what's the solution? Simple, say that state governments can only give certificates of civil unions, not certificates of marriage. Let "marriage" be performed in whatever religious or personal ceremony setting the couple wants. But this is going against states-rights you say! Well, when a minorities' civil rights (should the right to choose a life long partner not be a civil right?) are being attacked in certain states, it is up to the federal government to fix this problem in a blanket decision or law. Just like what happened with desegregation.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare
rolleye.gif

So we should all smoke pot, pack fudge and live happily ever after?

I disagree with Bush on this, but still disaprove of the gay men standing on a podium screaming look at me, I'm gay. I stick my penis in men's bums. Who gives a sh!t what you do with it as long as you do it behind closed doors. I don't organize parades in which I boast about banging my wife. Keep your own sex life to yourself, because I don't want to hear about it nor have to explain to my children what being a queer or drag queen is.

I don't see anywhere in his post any mention of smoking pot or packing fudge.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: konichiwa
I don't want to...have to explain to my children what being a queer or drag queen is.

rolleye.gif

Better if they're sheltered for the first 18 years of their life, then suddenly when they move out and see a "queer" or "drag queen," they become as hateful and bigoted as Amirtallica, huh?

No my 8 year old child does not need to know that the man is different because he put's his dick in other men's butts. Imho they do not need to know that at this age....Tell it to the gathering at the homosexual meet at Disneyland a month or so ago.