Bush In Iraq for Thanksgiving

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good morale booster for the troops, no doubt, but he was in about as much danger as he is driving through the streets of DC.

Hmm, so Baghdad is safer than DC? Does that mean Iraq isn't a quagmire anymore? :D

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Bush had Thanksgiving dinner with the troops.

It was $1000 a plate. :D

(From David Letterman tonight)

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Bush had Thanksgiving dinner with the troops.

It was $1000 a plate. :D

(From David Letterman tonight)

I'm sure it cost the taxpayers much more than that. :) Anyways, I'm glad he stepped up and made the trip.

KK

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
I think this Bush is going to go down in history as one of the great Presidents.

What he did took balls, don't kid yourself.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: chess9
Congratulations to Bush for doing the right thing. I think he was geniuinely touched by all the service men and women who gave him a warm reception. I think he showed real strength by taking the time out of his busy schedule to spend this day with the guys he put in harms way.

-Robert

It was the right thing. I hope that both sides do not diminish the gesture with partisan political nonsense.
You mean like the Republicans using this during the Election Campaign?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
I think this Bush is going to go down in history as one of the great Presidents.

He knows how to stage an event, but "one of the greatest Presidents"?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
A bold and classy move by our President to show his support for our troops.

I think its pretty pathetic that this is being twisted to partisan agendas by both sides here. Its obvious that he A) did put himself in danger by visiting Baghdad but B) he still had considerable secrecy, security, and the element of surprise. Its also obvious that C) this is a savvy and calculated political move for re-election but D) the huge morale boost to the troops couldn't have been provided by any other realistic event.

So everyone should just take a step back and realize that this was a great event for our troops who really needed the morale boost. No partisan political spin necessary.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Regardless of motivations or security issues it was simply an upstanding thing to do. Why or how in this instance is inconsequential. Only what it meant to those soldiers in Iraq has any real meaning.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I don't like the job (overall) that Bush has been doing as President and have been critical of him thus far. But this I can say gets big thumbs up from me.

Good job Bush! (never thought I'd be saying that :p).

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazyfool

HAHAHAHA! Sorry, it was a class thing to do, but greatest president? To quote you: "don't kid yourself."

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

Motive was most likely to undercut Hillary's visit.

that's a laugher. who do you think the troops would be more happy to see, hillary or Bush?

IOW, he doesn't have to undercut someone most of the military probably hates. I'm sure many in uniform have heard the story about how Hillary ordered no military uniforms be worn in the White House.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
A bold and classy move by our President to show his support for our troops.

I think its pretty pathetic that this is being twisted to partisan agendas by both sides here. Its obvious that he A) did put himself in danger by visiting Baghdad but B) he still had considerable secrecy, security, and the element of surprise. Its also obvious that C) this is a savvy and calculated political move for re-election but D) the huge morale boost to the troops couldn't have been provided by any other realistic event.

So everyone should just take a step back and realize that this was a great event for our troops who really needed the morale boost. No partisan political spin necessary.
Well said. That's exactly what I was thinking. You can speculate about his motives all you want, but it was still the right thing to do.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I can't believe you all think this was such a great stunt. I think this was absolutely inane. Yes, it's a great thing for overseas morale, and to the troops I'm sure it was fantastic. But can you not imagine the historical disaster and ramifications if Air Force 1 were to be shot down? If the President were to be lost to such a stunt. His job is to run the country, not to purposefully throw himself in harm's way.