Bush In Iraq for Thanksgiving

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
This is a good thing to do, however, don't think Bush was in any danger. The area would be long secured and anything potentially hostile removed. He was safer than you are right now.

Believe me he was in danger, much more then we are cuddled in our houses. A few days ago a DHL commercial jet was struck by a missle taking off from that airport. We can surround it with apaches and have a lot of troops there but a terrorist can still shoot a shoulder rocket into the sky from a far. Im sure it was more secure then usual but to say it's safer then here is ludicrous.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
:D

I can't believe no one has mentioned Karl Rove;)
:p

Anyway...I was talking with someone the other day about Clinton and a couple others going to Afghanastan and Iraq over the Thanksgiving holiday and jokingly said that Bush should make an appearance too....Guess my joking wasn't a joke after all! It's good to see that he went and felt stong enough about it to make it happen. I'm sure there were alot of people(especially SS and others) that were trying to talk him out of it.
I couldn't believe it when the news popped on with a special report.

CkG

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: AmdEmAll
This is a good thing to do, however, don't think Bush was in any danger. The area would be long secured and anything potentially hostile removed. He was safer than you are right now.

Believe me he was in danger, much more then we are cuddled in our houses. A few days ago a DHL commercial jet was struck by a missle taking off from that airport. We can surround it with apaches and have a lot of troops there but a terrorist can still shoot a shoulder rocket into the sky from a far. Im sure it was more secure then usual but to say it's safer then here is ludicrous.

You underestimate the ability of our forces to provide security. I can guarantee that DHL airliner did not have the full resources of the US military guarding it. Perhaps you have not seen what can be done, but I have. This is not to take away from his appearance or intent, but just as I won't beat him up for something good, neither will I give him credit for bravery when he was in no real danger. I think the act itself was enough. You may disagree, but each of us are entitled to our opinions.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Congratulations to Bush for doing the right thing. I think he was geniuinely touched by all the service men and women who gave him a warm reception. I think he showed real strength by taking the time out of his busy schedule to spend this day with the guys he put in harms way.

-Robert

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
:D

I can't believe no one has mentioned Karl Rove;)
:p

Anyway...I was talking with someone the other day about Clinton and a couple others going to Afghanastan and Iraq over the Thanksgiving holiday and jokingly said that Bush should make an appearance too....Guess my joking wasn't a joke after all! It's good to see that he went and felt stong enough about it to make it happen. I'm sure there were alot of people(especially SS and others) that were trying to talk him out of it.
I couldn't believe it when the news popped on with a special report.

CkG

Crazy Liberal Response = "See?! I told you Bush was a Nazi! He has Waffen SS!"

eh...I though it was funny ;)

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Do you think for Chirstmas, Bush will give us a big gift and repeal the Patriot Act ? Or is this "freedom loving" guy all window dressing and no substance? Ohh that's right he's the former.
rolleye.gif

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: chess9
Congratulations to Bush for doing the right thing. I think he was geniuinely touched by all the service men and women who gave him a warm reception. I think he showed real strength by taking the time out of his busy schedule to spend this day with the guys he put in harms way.

-Robert

It was the right thing. I hope that both sides do not diminish the gesture with partisan political nonsense.

ryzmah

Feb 17, 2003

You underestimate the ability of our forces to provide security. I can guarantee that DHL airliner did not have the full resources of the US military guarding it. Perhaps you have not seen what can be done, but I have. This is not to take away from his appearance or intent, but just as I won't beat him up for something good, neither will I give him credit for bravery when he was in no real danger. I think the act itself was enough. You may disagree, but each of us are entitled to our opinions.

I was going to say he underestimated the dangers of the Baltimore/D.C. Area - #1 in violent crime this year!:D

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Man could you imagine the look on the faces of the Insurgents watching the Airport when Airforce 1 came in for a landing?

he flew in a non-descript unmarked plane from what i heard.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: chess9

-Robert

It was the right thing. I hope that both sides do not diminish the gesture with partisan political nonsense.

i agree with that!

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Whitling
Yahoo is announcing that George Bush flew to Iraq in a surprise visit. There was a rather elaborate deception that went along with it. The story appears real to me. Hard to believe, but real.

Yahoo Article
I know the troops wanted turkey for Thanksgiving, but I doubt this was what they had in mind. :D

(Can't believe nobody said this yet.)

Seriously, kudos to Bush. It was a great gesture for the men and women stuck so far from their loved ones.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Genesys
Man could you imagine the look on the faces of the Insurgents watching the Airport when Airforce 1 came in for a landing?

The article above said it was his normal Air Force One.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Proof positive that our commander in chief is committed to the young men and women he comitted to the iraq effort. I'm proud of him for this and for remaining an honorable president.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
another "step" accomplished on his re-election agenda. just wait til it makes it to TV commercials. George Bush feeding the homeless. that guy and his cohorts don't fool me for a minute.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
I dont underestimate our military at all I just don't think you can say he was in no danger what so ever. You have a right to your opinion as do I. Im just glad he made it out ok and the troops have higher morale now :D

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: Genesys

The article above said it was his normal Air Force One.

reports said Air Force 1 landed in the dark with all it's lights out so that it couldn't be easily identified.
Well done! a very considerate gesture on his part.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Originally posted by: rickn
another "step" accomplished on his re-election agenda. just wait til it makes it to TV commercials. George Bush feeding the homeless. that guy and his cohorts don't fool me for a minute.

I agree. All these photo opportunities are completely calculated down to the last decimal point. His poll numbers have been steadily in decline since 9-11. I can just see slow motion hand shakes of Bush with the troops in his campaign commercials. People still suck it up though. Have your fill folks.

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
I agree. All these photo opportunities are completely calculated down to the last decimal point. His poll numbers have been steadily in decline since 9-11. I can just see slow motion hand shakes of Bush with the troops in his campaign commercials. People still suck it up though. Have your fill folks.

please shut up

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
please shut up

Ohh, does freedom of speech annoy you. Does it hurt your feelings cause you feel all warm and fuzzy after eating turkey and seeing Bushy on TV? Sorry I won't shut up.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
I dont underestimate our military at all I just don't think you can say he was in no danger what so ever. You have a right to your opinion as do I. Im just glad he made it out ok and the troops have higher morale now :D

I was watching Hannity and Colmes and they had two Congressmen on. It seems they knew about this since October and they had to keep thier mouth shut. Bush was planning this for ages and security was unprecedented. They were ready to turn back should anyone find out anything about the plan. He was in no real danger. They had scouts everywhere and a secure perimeter. Good morale booster for the troops, no doubt, but he was in about as much danger as he is driving through the streets of DC.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

I was watching Hannity and Colmes and they had two Congressmen on. It seems they knew about this since October and they had to keep thier mouth shut. Bush was planning this for ages and security was unprecedented. They were ready to turn back should anyone find out anything about the plan. He was in no real danger. They had scouts everywhere and a secure perimeter. Good morale booster for the troops, no doubt, but he was in about as much danger as he is driving through the streets of DC.

You've got to be kidding me. You people are just amazing.. Yeah, it was the same as him sitting in the middle of a military bunker in the middle of the desert in Nevada... Give me an f-ing break. This was an incredible thing to do, he was in danger, and you should give him credit for doing the right thing instead of trying to diminish what he did. All we hear from you guys is how the U.S. can't keep its troops from dying after every attack.. but to fly the President of the United States into the middle of Bagdad, and you say it was perfectly secure?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Crimson

You've got to be kidding me. You people are just amazing.. Yeah, it was the same as him sitting in the middle of a military bunker in the middle of the desert in Nevada... Give me an f-ing break. This was an incredible thing to do, he was in danger, and you should give him credit for doing the right thing instead of trying to diminish what he did. All we hear from you guys is how the U.S. can't keep its troops from dying after every attack.. but to fly the President of the United States into the middle of Bagdad, and you say it was perfectly secure?

You should have watched H&C, no one is saying that it wasn't a good thing to do, but all the analysts that were on agreed that if he was in any real danger, the plane would have been turned around immediately. If you feel that that is belittling your beloved Commander and Chief, call Hannity and bivth at him.

Crimson

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Crimson

You should have watched H&C, no one is saying that it wasn't a good thing to do, but all the analysts that were on agreed that if he was in any real danger, the plane would have been turned around immediately. If you feel that that is belittling your beloved Commander and Chief, call Hannity and bivth at him.

Right, because they would have known about an RPG in a window outside the airport somewhere.. like they are some omnipotent beings. Its amazing how they can do that for the President but not in every day normal operations. I'm not saying there wasn't security up the ass, but all the security in the world means nothing in a place like Iraq.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Regardless of my feelings towards the President or this war, I think it good when the Commander in Chief pays the troops a visit on a holiday. It is the least he can do.

I agree, it was a nice gesture. (I'll just leave it at that, nothing more, no less).