Bush In Iraq for Thanksgiving

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Yahoo is announcing that George Bush flew to Iraq in a surprise visit. There was a rather elaborate deception that went along with it. The story appears real to me. Hard to believe, but real.

Yahoo Article

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Regardless of my feelings towards the President or this war, I think it good when the Commander in Chief pays the troops a visit on a holiday. It is the least he can do.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Do I need to make the obligatory joke? Bush needed to lie to everyone in order to get into Iraq. ;)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I bet secret service was freaking :)

Maybe even the Dems can't bad-mouth this appearance. Eh prolly not.

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
Bad-mouth a publicity stunt? Never.....

What's he gonna do next, parachute into the Super Bowl?

(For the record, I'm not a Democrat)

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: BA
Bad-mouth a publicity stunt? Never.....

What's he gonna do next, parachute into the Super Bowl?

(For the record, I'm not a Democrat)

I dont care what anyone says. They can call it a PR Stunt etc. But this was a HUGE morale boost our troops in Iraq.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
The only thing better would have been a Bob Hope USO show. Alas, the Master's days of bringing cheer to our combatant troops are over.

I think this was an appropriate move on Bush's part.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Do you guys realize by putting his ass in danger that if anything happened to him the NeoCons Boy DICK Cheney would become our President? Man now that is a scary thought!

Anyway that showed some brass.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Do you guys realize by putting his ass in danger that if anything happened to him the NeoCons Boy DICK Cheney would become our President? Man now that is a scary thought!

Anyway that showed some brass.

He made a secret trip and did not annouce anything to reporters. By the time CNN and other news sations learned about it he had already been gone for a few hours. He only stayed for around 2 hours or so and then quickly left.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Man could you imagine the look on the faces of the Insurgents watching the Airport when Airforce 1 came in for a landing?

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Like most things in an adult's life, no doubt there was more than one motive for this. But it impressed me. To all the Dem detractors, why not wait a while and see what the Democrats do instead of thrilling us all with your predictions.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
The only thing better would have been a Bob Hope USO show. Alas, the Master's days of bringing cheer to our combatant troops are over.

I think this was an appropriate move on Bush's part.

Yeah, can't really argue with that. Didn't Johnson make a surprise visit to troops in Vietnam as well? Might be a morale booster, don't know if it will do any tangible good though.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Whitling
Like most things in an adult's life, no doubt there was more than one motive for this. But it impressed me. Tol lthe Dem detractors, why not wait a while and see what the Democrats do instead of thrilling us all with your predictions.

Motive was most likely to undercut Hillary's visit. She's due there tomorrow I think, spent TG with troops in Afghanistan. Shrwed political move, I have to give the man that. Atleast he didn't show up in a flight suit.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It was a positive thing for the troops. (I assume so anyways)

It took guts and balls to go there. I give him that.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Now if only Hussien would try to sneak into DC
Nah...send him to Oklahoma.....I still have plenty of ammo left from deer season. Plus I bought a new scope and I really need to sight it in.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
Originally posted by: Whitling
Like most things in an adult's life, no doubt there was more than one motive for this. But it impressed me. Tol lthe Dem detractors, why not wait a while and see what the Democrats do instead of thrilling us all with your predictions.

Motive was most likely to undercut Hillary's visit. She's due there tomorrow I think, spent TG with troops in Afghanistan. Shrwed political move, I have to give the man that. Atleast he didn't show up in a flight suit.
I highly doubt he'd put hmself in danger just to show up Hillary.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In the coming days I'm sure that detractors will come about and say that President Bush's visit to Iraq was too short, too long, too risky, or unneccessary.

Compare and contrast the reaction Bush received from the men and women who put their lives on the line, every day, for the continued security and freedom of our great nation, with the reaction that he gets from members of the media, the Democratic leadership, and others. President Bush ordered these men into women into harm's way, and despite that, their love and respect is more than evident. Our soldiers get it - do you?

I gained a lot of respect for President Bush when he stepped out onto the field to throw at the first pitch at the World Series. Security was of course tight, but to say that wasn't a risk would be foolish at best. Today the President showed that he has the courage and decency befitting his office. The sight truly brought tears to my eyes. On this day, I'm thankful to live in the greatest country in the world, and I'm thankful that our leader is possessed of such honor.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This is a good thing to do, however, don't think Bush was in any danger. The area would be long secured and anything potentially hostile removed. He was safer than you are right now.

WoofyJr

Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: X-Man
In the coming days I'm sure that detractors will come about and say that President Bush's visit to Iraq was too short, too long, too risky, or unneccessary.

Compare and contrast the reaction Bush received from the men and women who put their lives on the line, every day, for the continued security and freedom of our great nation, with the reaction that he gets from members of the media, the Democratic leadership, and others. President Bush ordered these men into women into harm's way, and despite that, their love and respect is more than evident. Our soldiers get it - do you?

I gained a lot of respect for President Bush when he stepped out onto the field to throw at the first pitch at the World Series. Security was of course tight, but to say that wasn't a risk would be foolish at best. Today the President showed that he has the courage and decency befitting his office. The sight truly brought tears to my eyes. On this day, I'm thankful to live in the greatest country in the world, and I'm thankful that our leader is possessed of such honor.
he

Me too. I was totally shocked that he showed up in Iraq to prove that he CARES about US soliders. Still, he knew it's the most dangerous thing to do. I wonder if his father is upset about being not informed...

Today, I gained his respect today. I want to say Im proud of our US president today.