Bush holds slight lead in Electoral College

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) -- President Bush heads into the Republican National Convention next week with a small lead over Democratic challenger John Kerry in the all-important Electoral College, according to a new CNN analysis of state polling, advertising buys and interviews with campaign strategists and neutral analysts.

I was curious as to what the current election was mapping out to be and am glad to see an article about it.

Is there any chance any state could go the other way at this point ?

rextilleon

Feb 19, 2004
Sure--there are a bunch of states that are really swaying back and forth------Unfortunately, from what I can see, the Bushites are much better at propoganda then the Kerry people so Bush should win because basically this country is dumbed down--But who knows, you can always pray.

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
I live in Oregon and I'm sure it's going to go to Kerry at this point. But last election it was very close to going for Bush. I also read here that Nader submitted over 20,000 sigs to get on the ballot. He needs ( I think ) 7000 or 10,000 to get on. Should be very interesting here in the NW.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Originally posted by: MidasKnight
I live in Oregon and I'm sure it's going to go to Kerry at this point. But last election it was very close to going for Bush. I also read here that Nader submitted over 20,000 sigs to get on the ballot. He needs ( I think ) 7000 or 10,000 to get on. Should be very interesting here in the NW.

Nader is to kerry as perot was to bush

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000

The only reason Nader got that many is because the Republicans helped him.

MidasKnight

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SViscusi

The only reason Nader got that many is because the Republicans helped him.

That is well known here. But the Democrats have challenged his first two attempts at getting on the ballot and were successful. That's why I say Kerry will still pull Oregon as most of the sigs each time were signed by Republicans.

Taggart

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
Maybe Bush will get a bounce after the Convention. It's unusual enough that Kerry didn't get one.

I don't think ANYONE can say exactly how the election will play out, we'll all have to wait until November 3 (or longer if we have another contested election!)

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

LoL, according to [conjur's] link, the only way to come up with CNN's result is to call all the swing states for Bush.
In two crucial states -- Florida and Missouri -- Mr. Kerry's lead is tiny -- less than a percentage point. If both of those states, which have moved back and forth between the candidates over the course of Zogby's polling were to go Mr. Bush's way in the end, Mr. Kerry's lead would shrink to 286-252.

Finally, in five states, the Massachusetts senator leads by fewer than three percentage points. If all of those states went to Mr. Bush on Election Day, the president would win the election 274-264.

too bad it's a week old

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Anyone who puts any stock in a poll at this point is a fool.

From what I've heard, Kerry seems to be at the top of his game when his back is against the wall. The debates this year would seem to favor Kerry, as he can really drill the president on the economy, job losses, health care, etc (issues which severely affect many key battleground states). If you think these swiftboat ads are gonna be a factor come election time, I'd think again.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rextilleon
Sure--there are a bunch of states that are really swaying back and forth------Unfortunately, from what I can see, the Bushites are much better at propoganda then the Kerry people so Bush should win because basically this country is dumbed down--But who knows, you can always pray.

If anything bush will win in spite of the ignorance, fear mongering, and total reliance on emotionalism that the liberal agenda leans on.

The fact is self reliance and self discipline are such in grained social trades that we in American have refused time and again to be lulled to sleep by a nanny state that offers to take care of all of our problems.

I don?t blame you liberals for wanting that, or being afraid your welfare will be taken away, but in the end republicans, just like democrats, don?t want to see people starving or homeless in America and want an environment that won?t give our children cancer.

The true question is: do you want to fall further into a nanny state with the power to give you everything you want and the power to take everything you have, or are you for the American ideal of freedom and individual responsibility? I understand how you kids would want the government to become your new parents, but I doubt you?ll continue to hold these views when you grow up and have to deal with the harsh realities of working.

hum... well my post was completely pointless, rextilleon: looks like we both have faith in our side... maybe you have something intelligent to say, instead of just spouting your partisanship?
The debates this year would seem to favor Kerry, as he can really drill the president on the economy, job losses, health care, etc
so the rebounding economy due to the tax cuts and bush?s helping the seniors with drug costs is going to kill him in battle ground states?
I?m sorry, I just don?t follow that logic.