Bush has his Historic Reagan Moment : calls for global democratic revolution

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
white house link- full speech text

bbc - bush demands mideast democracy

could this speech, given november 6th, be his reagan moment. when reagan famously called for an end to communist tyrannies
in the early 1980's, people thought him naive, dumb, 'simplistic'. results matter, all else walks.

in his speech, bush decried the lack of freedom and called for radical democratic change in autocratic regimes that litter the mideast
and other parts of the world. his comments were aimed at egypt, iran, syria, burma, north korea, zimbabwe, cuba, among others. he
even gingerly commented upon modest saudi arabian reforms and the need for them to continue to move forward.

Instead of dwelling on past wrongs and blaming others, governments in the Middle East need to confront real problems, and serve
the true interests of their nations. The good and capable people of the Middle East all deserve responsible leadership. For too long,
many people in that region have been victims and subjects -- they deserve to be active citizens.

Sixty years of Western nations excusing and accommodating the lack of freedom in the Middle East did nothing to make us safe --
because in the long run, stability cannot be purchased at the expense of liberty. As long as the Middle East remains a place where
freedom does not flourish, it will remain a place of stagnation, resentment, and violence ready for export. And with the spread of
weapons that can bring catastrophic harm to our country and to our friends, it would be reckless to accept the status quo.

this is his most important speech to date, his westminster speech, and good things are in the offing.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Thats what I'm talking about... time for us to roll up our sleeves and go to work... The truth is... the only answer to terrorism is propserity... it's time to clean up the Middle East.

-Max

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Bush has had many Reagan moments and they are usually highlighted on the Daily Show.

I seriously doubt that anything will become of this and I am sure those whom he spotlighted would tell him to get his own house in order before he starts demanding them to change.

What ever happened to his Campaign Promise not to act as the "Worlds Policeman?"

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Bush has had many Reagan moments and they are usually highlighted on the Daily Show.

I seriously doubt that anything will become of this and I am sure those whom he spotlighted would tell him to get his own house in order before he starts demanding them to change.

What ever happened to his Campaign Promise not to act as the "Worlds Policeman?"

Rummy, Wolfowitz, Pearl and Cheney is your answer (but from your previous posts you already knew that)

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Doboji
Thats what I'm talking about... time for us to roll up our sleeves and go to work... The truth is... the only answer to terrorism is propserity... it's time to clean up the Middle East.

-Max

Definitely, while we're at it, since we will be scrapping the theologies they prefer in favor of more proseperous democracy, we may as well just rid them of the spectre of Islam as well. I mean we all know that makes them different, and they hate us for it...
rolleye.gif

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Definitely, while we're at it, since we will be scrapping the theologies they prefer in favor of more proseperous democracy, we may as well just rid them of the spectre of Islam as well. I mean we all know that makes them different, and they hate us for it...

Who said anything about eliminating Islam?... Ever heard of freedom of religion?... People are free to practice whatever religion they see fit. Including Islam.
Wake up and smell the coffee... we're not condemning theocratic autacracies because they're "different"... We're condemning them because they are corrupt, and destructive both to the people within the regime, and to us and others outside. "Difference, and diversity" have absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

-Max

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Can we get the fab five to give those Middle Easterners a serious make-over? I mean, come on! Robes and Burkhas in that kind of heat? Girlfriend, time to kick that headwrap to the curb! ;)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I, personally, can't wait to see us take on Syria and Iran. It's not as if I'll be affected, since I'm in college. Nothing more exciting than seeing other people die on my television.

prometheusxls

Apr 27, 2003

-Max

Concur

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Can we get the fab five to give those Middle Easterners a serious make-over? I mean, come on! Robes and Burkhas in that kind of heat? Girlfriend, time to kick that headwrap to the curb! ;)

No one, not even Osama himself deserves that level of treatment, much less the entire arab population.

prometheusxls

Apr 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I for one would prefer a return of American liberty before we begin "Imposing Liberty" on the rest of the world.

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: prometheusxls

-Max

Concur

Indeed. Saddly, a simple bitchslapping is not enough these days to convince someone that killing in the name of relgion is wrong.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: privatebreyer
Originally posted by: prometheusxls

-Max

Concur

Indeed. Saddly, a simple bitchslapping is not enough these days to convince someone that killing in the name of relgion is wrong.

When was it ever?

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It was a wannabe Reagan moment to be sure. Maybe Bush should wait till Sharon finishes building the wall, and then go to Israel and say "Mr. Sharon, tear down this wall."
Bush should stop living for Reaganesque soundbytes and come up with some good foreign policies that don't get us spread thin and bogged down in open ended overseas nationbuilding.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I'd wait more than a week before calling something like this "historic"

It was a wannabe Reagan moment to be sure. Maybe Bush should wait till Sharon finishes building the wall, and then go to Israel and say "Mr. Sharon, tear down this wall."

That's funny.