Bush Broke the law!

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
The "smoking iPod": Definitive proof that George W. Bush is a lawbreaker

For five years now, many of us have known that George W. Bush is both a liar and a lawbreaker. But the problem has been finding what the so-called "conventional media" would consider a true smoking gun.

After all, lying about oral sex is one thing, especially in the age of DNA evidence. But lying about uranium from Niger, sand-toilets-as-weapons-labs and "mushroom clouds," and causing 2,379 Americans and countless Iraqi civilians to meet an untimely and unnecessary death? Gee, that one's kind's of squishy, you know what we mean.

By now we've got our definitive proof that Bush violates the law, with pictures (above) and videotape to boot.

The man who took a solemn oath to uphold and obey the law is an illegal downloader, at least according to the rigid standard set forth recently by the Recording Industry Association of America, or RIAA.

And incredibly, the evidence has been hiding in plain sight all this time. In fact, Bush unwittingly acknowledged the illegal activity several weeks ago, when asked about the iPod that he listens to as he rides his bike (and maybe as he mows down innocent bystanders, too). He said his favorites include:

Beach Boys, Beatles, let?s see, Alan Jackson, Alan Jackson, Alejandro, Alison Krauss, the Angels, the Archies, Aretha Franklin, the Beatles, Dan McLean. Remember him?

OK, forget the fact that he called the author of one of the great pop hits of all-time "Dan McLean" instead of "Don McLean" or that he admits listening to Betty, Veronica and Jughead. If stupidity were an impeachable offense, the late Chief Justice Rehnquist would have been sending his "Pirates of Penzance" outfit bck to the dry cleaner four-and-a-half years ago. No, the key part is where he admits, not once but twice, that he downloads the Beatles.

The problem is this: You aren't allowed to buy Beatles music online yet, as noted in this article:

Industry experts have speculated that the refusal by Apple Corps owners Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono, and George Harrison's widow Olivia Harrison to authorize online downloads has resulted in millions of illegal downloads from which they have been unable to profit.

Surely, though, it's OK to download music from you own CDs? Most people (including us) would argue that, but the people who make the music, the RIAA, apparently disagree:

The RIAA has filed comments with a federal agency in which they claim that ripping a CD isn't fair use.

As part of the on-going DMCA rule-making proceedings, the RIAA and other copyright industry associations submitted a filing that included this gem as part of their argument that space-shifting and format-shifting do not count as noninfringing uses, even when you are talking about making copies of your own CDs:

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use."

If that truly is the case, then Congress needs to investigate this high crime misdemeanor at once, and begin churning the wheels of impeachment. Silly? Remember this: They nailed Al Capone for tax evasion, didn't they?

Link

Sooo...the Gov is usually good at getting criminals they can't catch on Tax evasion ect. Soo, we could get Bush on breaking this law. :D :beer:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RichardE
After all, lying about oral sex is one thing, especially in the age of DNA evidence.
The stain on Monica's dress didn't prove anything. Everyone in Arkansas has the same DNA. :laugh:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey
After all, lying about oral sex is one thing, especially in the age of DNA evidence.
The stain on Monica's dress didn't prove anything. Eveyrone in Arkansas has the same DNA. :laugh:
LOL:thumbsup:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
thanks for adding the link. i'll quote the first comment at your link:

Uh, Will, maybe he or a staffer ripped the songs from an Abbey Road CD.

Despite the efforts of the RIAA to say that such isn't fair use, their lawyers have argued otherwise in the past.

So please don't carry the water of the out-of-control RIAA on this one in your ongoing efforts to get Bush impeached for SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Explain to me where Bush undeniably lied under oath?

When he swore to uphold the United States Constitution.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Ldir

Yeah he swore to uphold it. Was he lying when he said it though?

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Ldir

He is not doing it so yes.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I wonder if anyone reported him to the RIAA?
Do they have a website where you can rat people out?

Feb 16, 2005
I have never defended dumbya in the past, and please feel free to check on that. But I have The Beatles on my iPod, I ripped them from a CD I own, which is perfectly legal. Now, I have about 99.999999999999% doubt that dumbya could do that, but it doesn't make it illegal.
Ugh, defending dumbya, I feel slimy.
Ok I need a shower now.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
ok, i think most of you got it wrong..(or maybe I did)

this isn't a rip on dumbya, it's a rip on RIAA.

Jun 27, 2005
The stain on Monica's dress didn't prove anything. Eveyrone in Arkansas has the same DNA. :laugh:

I laughed. I needed a smile to start my day.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
The stain on Monica's dress didn't prove anything. Everyone in Arkansas has the same DNA. :laugh:

I thought there were 5 families not 1?
:D

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
But I have The Beatles on my iPod, I ripped them from a CD I own, which is perfectly legal..

/thread

The RIAA apparantely doesn't think so.

The RIAA has filed comments with a federal agency in which they claim that ripping a CD isn't fair use.

GD RIAA needs to be dropped into Iran before the storm!!!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Engineer
But I have The Beatles on my iPod, I ripped them from a CD I own, which is perfectly legal..

/thread

Fortunitly, not matter how much money they throw at tools like Orin Hatch, the RIAA doesn't write out laws yet, and I'm fairly convinced ripping CDs will stand up in court as fair use.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford

/thread

Fortunitly, not matter how much money they throw at tools like Orin Hatch, the RIAA doesn't write out laws yet, and I'm fairly convinced ripping CDs will stand up in court as fair use.

Assuming that you bought the CD! ;)

:D

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
When has he not lied since he confirmed his own name during the oath of office? I suspect he was using cue cards for that.

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001

/thread

Naw, they can do better than that. Why waste time writing laws, when they can just sue you, and leave it up to you to obtain your own consul on your own dime -- or pay their extortion settlement fee -- way in excess of any perceived loss.

And, if you rip a CD that you own that has any type of CD anti-ripping protection, you are in violation of the DMCA.

In effect, you right to fair use is already in jepoardy. Has there been any cases yet where fair use is pitted up against the DMCA? I think both sides are afraid of a Supreme Court ruling. Somebody (the Eff?) should take it all of the way there, although I am quite sure the current court would rule in industry's favor.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
RIAA sucks, they want me to stop downloading songs for free :p not cool, riaa, not cool. Dubya you are my best buddy now :p

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: DanceMan

/thread

Naw, they can do better than that. Why waste time writing laws, when they can just sue you, and leave it up to you to obtain your own consul on your own dime -- or pay their extortion settlement fee -- way in excess of any perceived loss.

And, if you rip a CD that you own that has any type of CD anti-ripping protection, you are in violation of the DMCA.

In effect, you right to fair use is already in jepoardy. Has there been any cases yet where fair use is pitted up against the DMCA? I think both sides are afraid of a Supreme Court ruling. Somebody (the Eff?) should take it all of the way there, although I am quite sure the current court would rule in industry's favor.

Are you freaking crapping me? I can't make a copy of my cd, that I bought. Yea right. So, that would make all of these mp3 devices useless if you didn't download music legally.
Sorry, I didn't know the RIAA had their collective heads so far up their asses they could see their molars. I thought at best it was their lungs.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
RIAA coming after Bush? yea right. they probably already have their own tax bracket and oil vouchers.