Bush Asks Worried Republicans to 'Keep the Faith'

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/37773|top|05-20-2004::13:26|reuters.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush asked fellow Republicans on Capitol Hill on Thursday to "keep the faith" as he sought to ease their jitters about Iraq and his lowest approval ratings ever.

At a closed-door meeting described by some as a pep rally, Bush vowed to "stay the course" and do what is right for America, prompting lawmakers to shower him with ovations, Republicans said afterward. A top Democrat fired back by calling Bush incompetent.

"He asked us to keep the faith," Rep. Deborah Pryce of Ohio, a member of the Republican leadership, said as she emerged from the meeting. "We're all behind him."

At a news conference, House of Representatives Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, said, "I believe the president's leadership in the actions taken in Iraq demonstrate he is incompetent in terms of knowledge, judgment and experience."

Bush's approval ratings have slipped to the mid-to-low 40 percent range, the lowest of his presidency. No recent president has been re-elected with such numbers this close to the November elections.

"The color code alert level has moved from yellow to orange," a senior Republican aide said. "There isn't panic, but there is considerable concern."

"We'll all be concerned until Election Day," Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, said 5 1/2 months before the nation votes. "But we remain confident. We believe in President Bush. He will win re-election."

Many Republicans offered such talk publicly this week even as some privately gave the White House advice on how Bush could best rebound -- from holding more news conferences, to coming out in support of a buyout of hard-pressed tobacco farmers, to better articulating his message on Iraq.

Bush intends to lay out in a major speech on Monday his strategy for handing sovereignty to Iraqis.

NO TALK OF POLLS

"We didn't talk about polls," Rep. David Hobson, an Ohio Republican, said after the meeting with Bush. "He believes in what he's doing and he will stay on course for his beliefs, no matter what the political cost is."

Lawmakers voiced frustration that good economic news in recent months has been drowned out by events in Iraq, from rising violence to the prisoner abuse scandal.

Rep. Sherwood Boehlert, a New York Republican, said Bush told lawmakers when they go home for the Memorial Day recess this weekend "tell your people the economy is going in the right direction."

Bush took no questions from lawmakers as he prepared them for the upcoming elections, underscored his intentions to "stay the course" in Iraq and thanked them for helping him get key bills through Congress the past 3 1/2 years.

"The overall thing he accomplished was it's clear to everybody in the room this guy is leading," said Rep. John Boehner, an Ohio Republican. "I've wanted this frankly for months, for the president to come up and talk to the troops himself."

Democrats hope a damaged Bush could undermine Republican efforts to retain control of the closely divided Senate and House of Representatives in the November elections.

Republicans argue they will prevail, noting congressional races are traditionally determined by state and local issues -- not presidential coattails.

Republicans say they are encouraged that Democratic White House challenger John Kerry is essentially running about even with Bush when voters are asked who they want to be president.

"The good thing for us is that John Kerry is not catching on," said Rep. Ray LaHood, an Illinois Republican.

House Republicans have become frustrated with some of their Republican colleagues in the Senate who they complain have failed to adequately stand up for Bush on TV talks shows.

"What's been causing a lot of heartburn is that some of these Senate Republicans who get on these talking head shows aren't 100 percent aligned with the president or his agenda," said LaHood. "We need House members on these shows."

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
At a closed-door meeting described by some as a pep rally, Bush vowed to "stay the course"

Frankly, I'm still a little uninformed about what the "course" actually is. I've heard this "Stay the Course" stated a lot, but what does it mean? OK, Iraq gets the reigns on the 30th, but what exactly is the plan for this?. Has bush detailed a plan for the changeover and if so is it availiable for public release? What are the milestones on this changeover timeline? Where are the measures of success? NOTE: I'm not bashing Bush, I'm just uninformed and I need a little bit more than just "Stay the Course" or "Keep the Faith".

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Yet another message to religious wacko base. There was a great frontline on this subject.

JoLLyRoGer, there is no course here. It's been a zig-zag. I suspect the course will change once again when everyone comes to terms with the fact that we are not / cannot bringing democracy to Iraq. Essentially, "stay the course" and "cut and run" is just rhetoric for chickenhawks who thinks it's cool to look like a tough guy.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Rep. Tom Reynolds, R-N.Y., chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said if all Pelosi could offer is taunting U.S. troops "by saying they are dying needlessly and are risking their lives on a shallow mission, then she should just go back to her pastel-colored condo in San Francisco and keep her views to herself."

Right in step with the R.A.M. m.o. Attack the character of the person criticizing the failed policies of the administration.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Rep. Tom Reynolds, R-N.Y., chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said if all Pelosi could offer is taunting U.S. troops "by saying they are dying needlessly and are risking their lives on a shallow mission, then she should just go back to her pastel-colored condo in San Francisco and keep her views to herself."

Screw you, bastage! We sent her to Washington to tell you that. Never have we had a man as President so unfit for the job. Bush is an ignorant putz and a complete disgrace.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I posted a few days ago in another thread, Bush has the sense of a piece of driftwood, and I stand by that statement