Bush Asks For One Million Ballots

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999
ABC and NBC are reporting that Bush's lawyers are asking for over one million ballots from Palm Beach and Miami-Dade be shipped to the court in Tallahasee.

Wonder why?

He wants to do a manual recount? I don't think so.....

Stall this thing some more? Wonder why......Cheney is complaining it is drawn out too long already.

What do you think?

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
Actually, no.

It's so that when and if the courts in Florida decide about recounts/revotes, the ballots will already by in Tallahassee. And actually a judge ORDERED that they be taken there, not the Bush team.

Check you facts while I check mine.

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
It's a moot point. I saw the article on msn.com that you are referring to.

However, note that the judge ordered they be ready to ship to Tal. on Tuesday, that's before the Bush lawyers asked on Wednesday that they be sent up there.

So really, this means very little. As usual, MSNBC is trying to spin it like it's a big deal.

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< Check you facts while I check mine. >>

I did.

Actually CNN is also reporting....I think this is BUSH request. Gore asked for 13,000 or 14,000 ballots to be sent and judge ruled they should be sent by Friday.

Bush asked judge today for over one million ballots to be sent. Judge called emergency hearing for 4pm EST today.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Makes sense to me. Goresky asks only that the bogus &quot;hey, this must be a Gore vote&quot; ballots be sent. Why not respond by making sure that the legitimate ballots are also on hand.

It's about time that Bush responded tit for tat to Gore's machinations.

Russ, NCNE

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
As I said, moot point. Judge ordered they be ready to go, so Bush just asked for them to be sent. It was only a matter of time anyway. (This is directly from that article)

ride525

Golden Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< As I said, moot point. >>

I didn't see where judge said anything about the more than one million ballots yet. (He did call a hearing for 4pm to consider Bush's request.)

I thought he just ruled on the ballots that Gore said were in dispute, the 13,000 or 14,000.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Ride

All the ballots will be sent up,but no one said a word about sending machines.

The ballots the dems want would be maually (eyeballed) counted. If the Reps demand that all votes be &quot;eyeballed&quot;, that would spell obstruction and the reps are seen for who they are. They have no desire to have any ballots counted,and they prefere the legislators in Florida hold a special forum to name thier own electors instead of the voters.

Partisinship to the max. Hell with what the people want, The reps are saying its &quot;my way or the highway&quot;.:(

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gore wants to have those votes that can most likely be 'interpreted' by one of his 'psychic' cronies as a &quot;gore vote&quot; shipped. Bush is just making sure the real votes are also taken into consideration.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
The judge ruled for 14000 ballets, voting booth, etc be transferred to Tallahassee. Gore asked for a recount, judge said no, and ordered the materials to his court room. If there is a recount, the judge will decide the standard in which to use.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
FettsBabe

The booth is not a counting machine,which would take several many many hours to read 1 million ballots,should the Reps demand that ALL be counted,clearly a delaying tactic. If you can't win on substance,delay,delay,delay.:|

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you can't win the real vote, start interpreting votes where there are none, recount recount recount, fudge some more, and eventually you'll win. Of course the Bush team should delay to avoid this cheating.

I'm Typing

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Russ, do you REALLY want all of the votes from those counties shipped?
Are you REALLY prepared to find out what an independent hand recount, using, say, TEXAS' method of checking ballots would find?
;)

Thought not.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm dying laughing listening to Gore Goonies calling the Republicans &quot;obstructionist&quot;. The election is over, folks. Gore lost. The only reason the games continue is because the democrats haven't bogused up enough votes for their boy.

Russ, NCNE

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Has anyone thought for one momet that maybe this is a &quot;snafu&quot; in Gores stategy? Al was the one who has been repeatedly on TV asking that ALL the ballots be counted! All is a very inclusive word and while yes, this is not what Gore wanted in this particular instance, it is not against any law for Bush's team to request this, just as it was not against any law for Gore to win an extension to the deadline! It may just be a slip Gore didn't think of. Think about it.......if the sides were turned do you think Gore would not employ the same strategy? You want ALL the ballots counted? OK lets count ALL the ballots........it's exactly what he's been telling America he wants.....Besides, I was disappointed to see that Mr. Gore is still fighting against counting some ballots..........I believe the Bush strategy now will be &quot;All or Nothing&quot; and it may eventually backfire but I bet they are willing to risk that in exchange for believing the American People will tire even further of this and force a conccession from Gore by his party which may well happen if Bush wins the Constitution battle in the USSC which he may well do since the Supremes there have a record of supporting anything that goes with the Constitution as Bush will be pleading!

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
the request was for close to 1.1 million ballots &amp; the goron Boies got caught in another lie before the court... quite an entertaining game...
If he keeps this kind of stuff up, things will get slower &amp; slower.

It is an interesting match... the slow talking pseudo-bumbling judge &amp; the slick, high power Mass atty.

The art of the courtroom,
statements are paraphrased based on my biased &amp; faulty memory.

Judge: oh by the way what is this motion someone wants me to sign ?

Bush side: That is support for a motion of the Gore team to bypass you &amp; appeal to the Supreme court.

Boies: Judge, er, ah... that is kind of what you said yesterday. We just made it into a motion.

Judge: Mr Boies, That is not what I said yesterday... How can we count ballots not in the courts custody ? I can not rule on a matter without arguements &amp; evidence.

Boies: Judge, it is really important to count those ballots.

Judge: Lets get the ballots here, first. Then we can decide if they need to be counted.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
You need to read that article that someone posted about the Chicago Tribune asking Gore to concede the election. It discusses Gore's definition of &quot;every vote must be counted&quot;.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I just figured it out!

Since Clinton was able to redefine &quot;IS&quot;, Gore is building on that stellar image and redefining &quot;ALL&quot; to mean every vote for himself.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
They're hoping that the counties don't use FedEx and use some other courier. Aww cripes...

<Alligator Hunter commercial>

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Russ:

&quot;Gore Goonies&quot;? Are they like the &quot;Gorons&quot;, or the &quot;Nazis&quot;, or the &quot;Commies&quot;. Sheezh, and I thought you preached the high road. :p

Next thing we know Althanasius The Pious will be calling Gore &quot;Satan Incarnate&quot; or some such sobering sobriquet.

All of this is just too hard for my tender psyche to comprehend.

jobert

Nov 20, 1999
>>they prefere the legislators in Florida hold a special forum to name thier own electors instead of the voters.<<

Yeah. Right on.
What the Reps want is for the country to
think Bush's brother won it for him.
Perhaps we should think just a wee bit
before we litter this place with crap.

>>The judge ruled for 14000 ballets,<<
The motion granted YESTERDAY was for about
14,000. TODAY, that motion was amended to call
for delivery of ALL the ballots from the two counties.

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
chess9:

Is &quot;Athanasius the pious&quot; your own intended &quot;sobering sobriquet&quot; of me? I don't think that either Al Gore or anyone else is by any means Satan Incarnate.

Satan is actually effective in what he tries to accomplish. :)

[EDIT] P.S: Shall I piously pray for the healing of your fractured and tender psyche? I need the liberal legend chess9 to balance my bias towards the conservative conqueror Russ.

jtshaw

Nov 27, 2000
What I wanna know is why the hell Gore wanted to recount all the ballots in those counties anyway. They are standard punchcards that a machine can read with much more accuracy then a human can. I could see him wanting a manual count of the ones that machine couldn't read but why a full count was a waste of time.