Bush Approval Measured at All-Time Low

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: tweaker2
28%?...........twenty eight percent?..........is that all it's dropped? how is it that his poll numbers haven't dropped to zero percent yet?
People forget that in the days of Carter and Nixon and Truman, we didn't have the likes of Fox news, nor did we have pathological slanters/liars like Rush and O'Reilly in control of the airwaves. Without Fox and Rush and O'Reilly, Bush would be down below 15%.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: tweaker2
28%?...........twenty eight percent?..........is that all it's dropped? how is it that his poll numbers haven't dropped to zero percent yet?
People forget that in the days of Carter and Nixon and Truman, we didn't have the likes of Fox news, nor did we have pathological slanters/liars like Rush and O'Reilly in control of the airwaves. Without Fox and Rush and O'Reilly, Bush would be down below 15%.

He will be by the time he leaves office.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Sometimes I wonder if the 28% that approve of his work are all on this forum.
It never ceases to amaze me how anyone could possible still aprove of him and what he has done.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Shivetya
and opinion polls are supposed to do what? Justify some people's irrational hatred?

I certainly hope they are not used to make decision on how to operate a government.

Yup. It would be a f@cking shame if government listened to the people.

Why would the government want to listen to the people? Their goals are mutually exclusive.

The part that sickens me is that no matter how bad it gets most people in this country will never, ever, EVER lift a finger to stop it from happening. If even a fraction of the crap that's happened over the past 7 years happened in most other countries the people would be up in arms in the streets trying to restore this country to what it was.

Jeez I'm depressing myself again.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I am wondering why his rating has dropped even more. Nothing has really changed in the last month or so.

I guess the continuing mess in Iraq is just turning more and more people off.

I don?t like the approve/disapprove style polls.
Would make more sense to have some type of 1 to 5 scale or poor/average/good type thing.

The approve/disapprove is too arbitrary. I like some of what he has done and don?t like some of what he has done, how do I decide to approve or disapprove?

Maybe all the people who were in comas woke up and collectively asked, "WTF HAPPENED TO THIS COUNTRY!?!?"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Phokus
I am wondering why his rating has dropped even more. Nothing has really changed in the last month or so.

Would make more sense to have some type of 1 to 5 scale or poor/average/good type thing.

The approve/disapprove is too arbitrary. I like some of what he has done and don?t like some of what he has done, how do I decide to approve or disapprove?

Maybe all the people who were in comas woke up and collectively asked, "WTF HAPPENED TO THIS COUNTRY!?!?"
Maybe some of the Bush supporters finally succumbed to embarrassment of supporting such an incompetent twit and came to their senses.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
and opinion polls are supposed to do what? Justify some people's irrational hatred?

I certainly hope they are not used to make decision on how to operate a government.

Yup. It would be a f@cking shame if government listened to the people.

Was Lincoln listening to the South when he took slavery away from it? If you're wrong, and you're in the majority, you're still wrong. I don't believe a president should care for two seconds what approval rating polls have to say. The whim of the public is a fickle thing.

Disclaimer: None of the above should be read as a defense of the current president.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Donny Baker
I guess elections shouldn't be taken seriously either? After all they're just polls.

:roll:

Do we change presidents every time a poll is taken?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Was Lincoln listening to the South when he took slavery away from it? If you're wrong, and you're in the majority, you're still wrong. I don't believe a president should care for two seconds what approval rating polls have to say. The whim of the public is a fickle thing.

Disclaimer: None of the above should be read as a defense of the current president.
In principle, you are correct. If the majority is wrong, the president shouldn't obey the majority. However, in almost all cases, the majority is not wrong and the president should certainly weigh the opinions of that majority strongly. The president going against the majority should be the exception, not the rule.

If the president makes it a habit of breaking the wishes of the majority, we SHOULD change presidents on polls. Many other countries have votes of no confidence - we should too.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Donny Baker
I guess elections shouldn't be taken seriously either? After all they're just polls.

:roll:

Do we change presidents every time a poll is taken?

In the case of the president, yes. We just only hold the polls once every 4 years.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard

In principle, you are correct. If the majority is wrong, the president shouldn't obey the majority. However, in almost all cases, the majority is not wrong and the president should certainly weigh the opinions of that majority strongly. The president going against the majority should be the exception, not the rule.

If the president makes it a habit of breaking the wishes of the majority, we SHOULD change presidents on polls. Many other countries have votes of no confidence - we should too.

While I understand what you're saying, it's not just a question of wrong vs. right; it's a question of long-term vs. short-term thinking also. For example, one of my pet issues is the budget, and how we're mortgaging the future to cover the excessive spending of today. What got us into this mess is the politician's base need to be, and remain, popular. Any fix - cutting spending, raising taxes, or both - would likely kill a president's numbers, but would also be better for the nation (IMHO). When it comes to financial planning, most people tend to be short-sighted (look at credit card debt being racked-up, people's over-extension on mortgages, lack of retirement planning, etc.,), and I'd prefer our leaders consistently bucked that trend.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

"????!!!!!????". Sums up your opinion better.:p

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti

How can you wonder? If someone hits you with a stick, you are going to disapprove of them, if they keep whacking you with the same stick, you disapproval is going to increase. dumbya's been hitting us with the same stick for far too long. I'm shocked it's as high as it is.

And then there are the 28% of people who when hit with a stick say "Ooooh that feels good! Please sir may I have another?!"

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
lets see. More people own there own homes then before.

Stock market is at an all time high.

The media that has been against the president since before he started continues to bash him.

its amazing that 28% still support him.

But maybe the facts you guys use to call himt he worst president in ever are wrong?

maybe your blind hate for a guy with a "R" after his name has you all twisted in a nut.

maybe your short sigthedness has gotten the best of you.

maybe we should fight wars just based on how people feel today. Lets see 5 years ago 80+% of the country went to war. So we did, now we change our minds, so we should leave?

most democratics voted for this war. Most of what we know now about what saddam had, and did not have came out because we fought the war. The people we are fighting over there now are terrorists, and millitants form nations hostile to us.

The troops are their to get a job done, yet people here want to tie their hands, give the enemy hope, and then bash the president. good for you.

after 7 years of calling him the worst president ever I geuss it stuck. Maybe you should call your ****** candy, and after 7 years it will be sweet.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: michal1980

The media that has been against the president since before he started continues to bash him.

But maybe the facts you guys use to call himt he worst president in ever are wrong?

maybe your blind hate for a guy with a "R" after his name has you all twisted in a nut.

maybe we should fight wars just based on how people feel today. Lets see 5 years ago 80+% of the country went to war. So we did, now we change our minds, so we should leave?

most democratics voted for this war. Most of what we know now about what saddam had, and did not have came out because we fought the war. The people we are fighting over there now are terrorists, and millitants form nations hostile to us.

The troops are their to get a job done, yet people here want to tie their hands, give the enemy hope, and then bash the president. good for you.

after 7 years of calling him the worst president ever I geuss it stuck. Maybe you should call your ****** candy, and after 7 years it will be sweet.

Whoa, I have not read the "only GWB haters criticize him" BS in a long time!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Or maybe he does suck and you are to stupid to acknowledge it.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

After seeing the above ditty when I paged to the end of the thread, I had to ask myself what kind of an idiot hiding under what sound proof rock could allege nothing had happened for the past month or so.

After all, the past month has seen much news coverage of the Alberto Gonzales Justice Department scandal which might be summed up as how to politicize and subvert the Justice Department. The past month has also seen the congress send a combination fund the war and plan for withdrawal bill to the desk of GWB. And the newsweek poll is concurrent with the GWB stands on both issues. Namely the Pres stands by Gonzales and rejects any congressional control of the Iraqi Occupation. And meanwhile back in Iraq, the months death toll for US troops stands at about a 100 with something like 1000 innocent Iraqi's also losing their lives.

With the implication that this is all nothing and has nothing to do with GWB dropping from a 33% approval rating to a 28% approval rating.

Now who could that person be that made the assertion that nothing happened in the past month--After some research, its a you guessed it---none other than non-Prof John.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005

Nice try, this is an old repost. Every time someone disparages Bush in any way someone drags this rediculous piece of fluff out of the closet. Even worse than that it's full of mis-information with of course no evidence to back any of it up.

First, are you seriously trying to claim there is anything good going on with the housing market right now? I guess you've never heard of Florida, it's pretty bad there, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Stock market is at an all-time high, too bad for that whole inflation problem...

You're right, a majority of the media is against him, I guess that means the media listens to the will of the people, wish Bush would try the same. Oh, and I assume you've never seen Faux News.

And he is the worst president, ever. Remember the crap that got Nixon impeached? BUSH MADE IT LEGAL!

Most of what we do and don't know about what Saddam had came from the war? Do you even know what a weapons inspector is? Apparently not.

What job do you think the troops are trying to get done? A majority of the troops think we went there because Saddam was involved in 9-11, well over here we all know that's BS, I wonder why that information isn't making it to the troops.

And it didn't take 7 years for him to suck, he sucked from day one. 9-11 was the best thing that ever happened to him, without it his approval rating would have been 28% 6 years ago.

Come back when you have an original thought, not when you feel the need to recycle someone elses stupidity.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

I think honestly its because the administration has oversold this "surge" thing. It got so much publicity, eventually went in action and ... *crickets*. Nothing seems to be changing.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

What's so irrational about hating an incompetent asshole who's responsible for so much death and destruction?

:laugh::thumbsup:LMAO

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Bush has just hit a new low on Rasmussen at 35%. While the 35% number might just be a statistical fluke (since it dropped 3% in one day), it looks like May 2007 is on track for the lowest monthly average as well. He hasn't hit rock bottom quite yet, but he is close I bet.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Bush has just hit a new low on Rasmussen at 35%. While the 35% number might just be a statistical fluke (since it dropped 3% in one day), it looks like May 2007 is on track for the lowest monthly average as well. He hasn't hit rock bottom quite yet, but he is close I bet.

What is the lowest in the entire presendency of the U.S.... This dude might be the lowest ever only because the advancement of the internet and telecommunications reaches a better sample for statistics.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

What is the lowest in the entire presendency of the U.S.... This dude might be the lowest ever only because the advancement of the internet and telecommunications reaches a better sample for statistics.

He is still extremely popular in here with apologists at every turn for him and all his cronies.

ATPN must be single handedly keeping the numbers up where they are.