Bush Approval Is whopping 2% Among Blacks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Hardwarrior

You seem like a very level headed person. What is your take on how people like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the people at the NAACP have done for the black community over the past 30-40 years?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Darkstar757
Well Ill be seeing you guys on SAT at the MILLION MORE MARCH at the National Mall. Or maybe not.

:)

A close friend of mine went to the real thing. He said that it wasn't all that bad, from a business and sheer fellowship POV. The problem was Farrakan using the event to make himself out to be more than the cult leaading sh1thead he actually is. ;)

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: HardWarrior
Well Ill be seeing you guys on SAT at the MILLION MORE MARCH at the National Mall. Or maybe not.

A close friend of mine went to the real thing. He said that it wasn't all that bad, from a business and sheer fellowship POV. The problem was Farrakan using the event to make himself out to be more than the cult leaading sh1thead he actually is. ;)

I was at the real thing in 95 with my father. Although I was allot younger at the time. High school to exact it was a great thing. Honestly the march is not and never was about Farrakan. I just so happens that he and the nation of ISLAM where the only organization with enough nuts to pull it off. Now am I a follow of the Nation no. But the core idology of black men and women taking care of there culture and become better Americans I agree with. So with all that said it was a very positive event and I plan on supporting this one.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Hardwarrior

You seem like a very level headed person. What is your take on how people like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the people at the NAACP have done for the black community over the past 30-40 years?

Why thank you, Gen. :) As for Jackson and Sharpton, they're both egotistical, opportunistic hucksters; Sharpton a bit less so. I shudder whenever when I hear either man described as a "black leader", since I don't know anyone who views them as such. The NAACP exists on a different level, IMO. There was a time when the NAACP was legendary for their powerful, nonpartisan representation of black concerns, most notably lynching. They exist now as a shadow of what they used to be, having jumped in bed with the democrats and all they represent. I guess I continue to hope that they'll see the light and regain the respect that people of my ma's generation had for them.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Hardwarrior

Why thank you, Gen. :) As for Jackson and Sharpton, they're both egotistical, opportunistic hucksters; Sharpton a bit less so. I shudder whenever when I hear either man described as a "black leader", since I don't know anyone who views them as such. The NAACP exists on a different level, IMO. There was a time when the NAACP was legendary for their powerful, nonpartisan representation of black concerns, most notably lynching. They exist now as a shadow of what they used to be, having jumped in bed with the democrats and all they represent. I guess I continue to hope that they'll see the light and regain the respect that people of my ma's generation had for them.

Sorry I didnt read your response accurately. Do people within the black community really not look to the Jacksons and sharptons as their leaders?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

I was at the real thing in 95 with my father. Although I was allot younger at the time. High school to exact it was a great thing. Honestly the march is not and never was about Farrakan. I just so happens that he and the nation of ISLAM where the only organization with enough nuts to pull it off. Now am I a follow of the Nation no. But the core idology of black men and women taking care of there culture and become better Americans I agree with. So with all that said it was a very positive event and I plan on supporting this one.

Farrakan didn't organize the march out of the kindess of his heart, DS. A cursory reading of his thoughts indicates that quite well. Also, and this statement represents the fact that I'm a fair amount older than you and was by raised folks who some peoplee today would call "millitants" or even "terrorists", but blacks don't need religion or slogans to motivate them to do the right thing. We need inclusion and an open recognition that we're as American as anyone else.

If you need corroboration on this ask your dad, but there was a time, before the Civil Rights movement, when blacks were all about family and empowerment. We HAD to be due to prevailing circumstances. Johnson's "Great society" convinced all too many of us that we didn't have to be responsible for oursevles as individuals, or as a group.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003

Farrakan didn't organize the march out of the kindess of his heart, DS. A cursory reading of his thoughts indicates that quite well. Also, and this statement represents the fact that I'm a fair amount older than you and was by raised folks who some peoplee today would call "millitants" or even "terrorists", but blacks don't need religion or slogans to motivate them to do the right thing. We need inclusion and an open recognition that we're as American as anyone else.

If you need corroboration on this ask your dad, but there was a time, before the Civil Rights movement, when blacks were all about family and empowerment. We HAD to be due to prevailing circumstances. Johnson's "Great society" convinced all too many of us that we didn't have to be responsible for oursevles as individuals, or as a group.

I really agree with you. However I have to feel like there was some sort of conspiracy with the introduction of Crack into the black community. The reason i say this was look at the time given behinds bar for being caught with crack versus raw cocaine. At this low point in black culture I thinkg we need to participate in anything that brings us together in a positive light. Like I said before I am very christan however I will attend the march not for religious issues but for a positive way for blacks to come together realize we are just as american as the next person and that we need change allot of our desturctive ways.

Proletariat

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: JacobJ
Blacks, in general, have proven themselves time and again to be political retards. [...]
Yeah, cause racist generalizations make great political statements...

Calling things like they are isn't "racist", dude. Moreover, I've probably been black longer than you've been alive, so save the knee-jerk BS for someone who cares.
So what if you're black? Racism is the belief that race accounts for differences in human character. Your statement reflects that. Political statements based on racism is part and parcel of why this country continues to be racist in many ways. It is easy to get sucked into an overly inflated divide of race when it is actually culture that makes the difference.

A wise man would listen to the voice of experience. I know more about blacks in terms of culture and politics than you EVER will. That makes my opinions on the subject MILES more accurate than the crap rattling around in your head. Sorry to burst your "progressive" bubble.

:roll:

Yea I'm sure you do.

I'm sorry dude but your statements came off as borderline racist. Calling all black politicians bad names is a huge generalization. Just because your black doesn't mean that you can make such statements. It really just shows that you don't like your race which I've noticed with a lot of upper class African-Americans.

Edit: As for political infants, I think most minorities are. I don't see any high-profile Asians or Indians in politics at all. The hispanics you see I think have a lot to do with Bush's favoritism. His brother is married to a hispanic woman and I think Bush likes to put close friends and family members in good positions.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Hardwarrior

Sorry I didnt read your response accurately. Do people within the black community really not look to the Jacksons and sharptons as their leaders?

I'd imagine SOME do, blacks being as hyper-religious as many of us are, but I don't know anyone who does.

Proletariat

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Hardwarrior

I'd imagine SOME do, blacks being as hyper-religious as many of us are, but I don't know anyone who does.
LOL you are Gen's wet dream.

Anyways who the hell do you think is/was a good role model for blacks? Malcolm X? MLK? Lumumba?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Proletariat
Blacks, in general, have proven themselves time and again to be political retards. [...]
Yeah, cause racist generalizations make great political statements...

Calling things like they are isn't "racist", dude. Moreover, I've probably been black longer than you've been alive, so save the knee-jerk BS for someone who cares.
So what if you're black? Racism is the belief that race accounts for differences in human character. Your statement reflects that. Political statements based on racism is part and parcel of why this country continues to be racist in many ways. It is easy to get sucked into an overly inflated divide of race when it is actually culture that makes the difference.

A wise man would listen to the voice of experience. I know more about blacks in terms of culture and politics than you EVER will. That makes my opinions on the subject MILES more accurate than the crap rattling around in your head. Sorry to burst your "progressive" bubble.

:roll:

Yea I'm sure you do.

I'm sorry dude but your statements came off as borderline racist. Calling all black politicians bad names is a huge generalization. Just because your black doesn't mean that you can make such statements. It really just shows that you don't like your race which I've noticed with a lot of upper class African-Americans.

Edit: As for political infants, I think most minorities are. I don't see any high-profile Asians or Indians in politics at all. The hispanics you see I think have a lot to do with Bush's favoritism. His brother is married to a hispanic woman and I think Bush likes to put close friends and family members in good positions.

I've gone out of my way to assure everyone that I don't have a racist bone in my body. I've also made it clear that my views aren't meant to cover ALL blacks, just the vast majority. If none of this is good enough for you, then it isn't. I?m not here to convince you of my veracity. Let me get this straight, you're TELLING me that being black doesn't give me the right to call things as I see them when it comes to being black, because it might offend someone, somewhere? You need to rethink that premise, sir. I don't like middle class blacks? I AM a middle class black, and I love myself no end and applaud and respect those like me.

Most minorities are political infants? How is THAT generality any different from the ones you wrongly tried to chide me over? If you want to jawbone the black experience in white USA, I'm more than qualified, but I won't waste time fending off your willful misconceptions and selective readings of what I've said. This thread has potential, but not for me if I have to deal with thoughtless bullsh1t directed towards my character. You don?t know me, dude.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Proletariat
Hardwarrior

LOL you are Gen's wet dream.

Anyways who the hell do you think is/was a good role model for blacks? Malcolm X? MLK? Lumumba?

Is this a serious question? TBH, I can't tell whether you're joking, pretending to be an e-hardass or just trying to piss me off. If you ARE serious, and willing to keep your manners, I'll be glad to offer an opinion.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

I really agree with you. However I have to feel like there was some sort of conspiracy with the introduction of Crack into the black community. The reason i say this was look at the time given behinds bar for being caught with crack versus raw cocaine. At this low point in black culture I thinkg we need to participate in anything that brings us together in a positive light. Like I said before I am very christan however I will attend the march not for religious issues but for a positive way for blacks to come together realize we are just as american as the next person and that we need change allot of our desturctive ways.

There's no conspiracy needed. Drugs don't crawl up your leg and force themselves down your throat-up your nose. If someone is stupid enough to ingest crack, KNOWING what it's about, as we ALL should ATP, so what? The cocaine sentencing guidlines??? :laugh: That's just another example of how we don't pull for each other and how weak we are in the eyes of this countries power-brokers. Imagine how quickly crack sentencing descrepencies would dissappear if, say, ten million voting-age blacks told the dems to fix it, or we'd vote rep en masse.

And just so you'll know, I'm not at ALL religious, DS.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: judasmachine
Originally posted by: K1052
So when is the overthrow planned for?

nov 6 2008

That is what has been said every two years.

To many excuses, not enough actions.

Welfare state wants the handouts. If the Dems are in charge, then they can get it easily.
And where do the majority of these welfare handouts go to. Urban core? Who lives in the urban cores?

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

Welfare state wants the handouts. If the Dems are in charge, then they can get it easily.
And where do the majority of these welfare handouts go to. Urban core? Who lives in the urban cores?

Spoken like a typical middle class white boy. Too bad like 68% of welfare recipients are white (in red states no less), not black as you tried to imply. Why can't racist speak their mind without dancing around?

BTW these programs are hardly handouts. You want handouts? Try the Prescription Drug Act, that is hundreds of billions of dollars, straight to the pharmaceuticals. What about airline bailouts? How about $400B a year on a military fighting ghost? These are all hand outs on scales that dwarf welfare by orders of magnitudes. God for-fcking-bid the wealthiest country on the planet help it's own citizen. Maybe we should build another school in Iraq and blow it up again? Maybe Halliburton needs a few more millions in Iraq for building a another DVD library?

You want to screw the poor? You want kids to go hungry? You people to lose their housing and live on the streets? You want an army millions of pissed of poor folk? Ya, let them eat cake.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Todd33

Spoken like a typical middle class white boy. Too bad like 68% of welfare recipients are white (in red states no less), not black as you tried to imply. Why can't racist speak their mind without dancing around?

BTW these programs are hardly handouts. You want handouts? Try the Prescription Drug Act, that is hundreds of billions of dollars, straight to the pharmaceuticals. What about airline bailouts? How about $400B a year on a military fighting ghost? These are all hand outs on scales that dwarf welfare by orders of magnitudes. God for-fcking-bid the wealthiest country on the planet help it's own citizen. Maybe we should build another school in Iraq and blow it up again? Maybe Halliburton needs a few more millions in Iraq for building a another DVD library?

You want to screw the poor? You want kids to go hungry? You people to lose their housing and live on the streets? You want an army millions of pissed of poor folk? Ya, let them eat cake.

You complain about a lack of healthcare coverage then yap about the drug bill. And forcing people to give charity isnt helping people out. It is stealing from one group to pay another group.

If you really believed what you write, you would drop the crutch known as welfare and have charities pay for the poor in this country.

inhotep

Oct 14, 2004
Blacks, in general, have proven themselves time and again to be political retards. The idea that blacks see Bush as the sum of all evil really isn't a surprise. Beyond that, since when are black voters cozy with ANY republican?

I do not think black voters have issues with Republicans. However, I think most have issues with the "Republican-Conservatives"

Not all Republicans are conservatives. Not all democrats are liberals.
Conservatives and liberals both suck.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

I do not believe that I used anything stating or even implying racist tones.

I asked two questions.

1) Where does the majority of the welfare handouts go?
My own feeling is that it is into the urban core of cities. Where the cities are (red/blue state), is of no impact.

2) By second questions was who lives in these urban cores?

If either of those questions are to be implied as racist, then to many people are using the truth as an excuse for finger pointing.

I may/may not fit your "racist" description, however, avoidance of the truth perpetuates the exact cycle that you seem to become afraid of.

Better to standup and face your fears then you can overcome them. Ignoring them will not make the bogey-man go away.

inhotep

Oct 14, 2004

I do not believe that I used anything stating or even implying racist tones.

I asked two questions.

1) Where does the majority of the welfare handouts go?
My own feeling is that it is into the urban core of cities. Where the cities are (red/blue state), is of no impact.

2) By second questions was who lives in these urban cores?

If either of those questions are to be implied as racist, then to many people are using the truth as an excuse for finger pointing.

I may/may not fit your "racist" description, however, avoidance of the truth perpetuates the exact cycle that you seem to become afraid of.

Better to standup and face your fears then you can overcome them. Ignoring them will not make the bogey-man go away.

It has lots to do with the manifestation paradigm. From 1500s-2005

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: inhotep
Blacks, in general, have proven themselves time and again to be political retards. The idea that blacks see Bush as the sum of all evil really isn't a surprise. Beyond that, since when are black voters cozy with ANY republican?

I do not think black voters have issues with Republicans. However, I think most have issues with the "Republican-Conservatives"

The numbers speak for themselves, and I think you'd change your mind if you heard what lots of blacks think about anything to the right of liberals.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

The numbers speak for themselves, and I think you'd change your mind if you heard what lots of blacks think about anything to the right of liberals.

A big issue to any such statements is where are those questions being asked.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

I'm not talking about focus groups or the latest CBS poll here, EK. In casual conversation most blacks view republicans of all stripes in the same light as they would someone who's trying to steal something from them. My dad never learned to read, but he remembered his father telling him that the democrats where fine and republicans were NOT to be trusted. No matter how bad democrat rule was in Chicago, he voted democrat. I know MANY people who feel the same way.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
my ass, your icon is about the only thing black about you.

How dare you sh1t on what few folks who have really made something of themselves damn good role models too.

Get your ass up and earn the right to be a congressperson in the united states then come back and tell us that bvllshit.

you are a damn fraud, show me a pic with a sign that says fu Steeplerot with your black self or stfu liar.

I am damn proud of all of the african-americans who have stood up to a racist system and made something of themselves, not counting a certain bucktooth shoeshopping genocidal-masta pleasing sellout.

I wish HardWarrior would come back with the ultimate Steeplerot pwnage. This would be better than Ritter!

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

I'm not talking about focus groups or the latest CBS poll here, EK. In casual conversation most blacks view republicans of all stripes in the same light as they would someone who's trying to steal something from them. My dad never learned to read, but he remembered his father telling him that the democrats where fine and republicans were NOT to be trusted. No matter how bad democrat rule was in Chicago, he voted democrat. I know MANY people who feel the same way.

Interesting concept. But what would they think the Republicans are trying to steal from them that the Dems will prevent?

Is this a real fear or just a mindset passed down by "gossip/scare tactics".

A real fear wold indicate that they actually feel that something will be taken away by one party vs the other.

What is it that they are fearing in that case?

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
2% among black people? Not surprising... What about PhDs able to speak at least 3 languages and living in a city?
I bet it would be less than 2%