Bush and Blair clash over Post-War Iraq.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Was watching the news and apparently Bush and Blair have had some MAJOR disagreements about the role of America and the UN in a post-saddam Iraq. Blair wants all countries to have a hand in the administration and reconstruction but apparently Bush is trying to strong-arm all the high-level government issues for himself. Does he intend to control Iraq and further alienate himself from the rest of the world?

Britain has been a staunch and almost unconditional supporter of the U.S. and for Bush to react in this way seems almost criminal as without the U.K. you can effectively say goodbye to European relations. Any other opinions? :( :frown:

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I agree Richdog, if that's true, it's not good. IMHO.

not very nice of him...
rolleye.gif
(Bush)

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
If that's so, then the joint press conference they'll be having in a half hour will be very interesting to hear. I will record it.

EDIT: No, I didn't forget. ;) I'm recording the conference, and will put it up on my site after it finishes.
EDIT 2: Encoding to MP3 now.
EDIT 3: Sorry it took so long, I had to find, compile, and figure out how to use LAME. :) It's up at http://66.227.245.98:2400/bush_blair_conference.mp3 (no link to help spare my meager bandwidth)

justint

Banned
Dec 6, 1999
Blair is very strongly in favor of the International community running post war Iraq. Bush and co are obviously not. Basic conflict and it will be interesting to see if Bush gives in.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Given the stab-in-the-back that the U.S. received from France, Germany, Russia, and other supposed allies in the UN, it is not surprising that Bush wants to keep them out of it.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
How dare you to disagree with Bush.

The US is in Iraq for the human rights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Given the stab-in-the-back that the U.S. received from France, Germany, Russia, and other supposed allies in the UN, it is not surprising that Bush wants to keep them out of it.

replace "stab-in-the-back" with "different opinion" and you are closer to the truth

dudleydocker

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Sure, the rest of the UN can help..............get out your checkbook and be ready to write a number with a LOT of zeroes!!!!

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
Look, I'm no fan of the UN (to say the least), but for whatever reason the entire world would rather see those bungling bureaucrats in charge of Iraq instead of a U.S. interim administration. From a PR perspective, all this talk of a U.S. military command is ludicrous...that would look HORRIBLE, not only to the Arab world in general, but also to the Iraqis themselves.

As usual, Blair is correct. Hopefully Bush will get a clue and go along with the idea. Maybe Colin Powell can help b*tchslap some sense into him.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
If we have other nations helping us with the Administration of Iraq that means they would also share in the cost of rebuilding it. Maybe they would also help with occupying Forces after Hussien is ousted.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Paraphrasing the press conference:

Bush: Coalition forces are advancing day by day...slowly, the grip of terror around the throats of Iraqi people is being loosened. Engaging the dictator's most hardened forces. Iraq will be disarmed and regime ended. Prepared to deliver humanitarian aid on a large scale. Asking UN to resume the Oil for Food program. Committed to helping them over the long-term. The form of this new gov't will be chosen by the Iraqi people...not imposed by outsiders. I see hope, as does PM Blair, to bring hope to the entire middle east.

Blair: Alliance between America and Great Britain has never been in better shape. Offering condolensces to those who have fallen. Saddam will be removed from power. Iraq will be disarmed of WMD and the people will be free. That is our commitment. Less than a week we've taken and controlled the southern ports. Forces within 50miles of Baghdad...surrounded Basra. Saddam shows daily he's prepared to kill his own people. Restarting the Oil for Food program later today w/Kofi Anan...this is urgent. Seek UNSC resolution to confirm Iraq's territory. Supporting a new Palestinian state as soon as a new Palestinian leader is chosen (elected?...didn't catch the term). Goal is to have a government representative of the people of Iraq.

Questions being posed.

Bush asked how much longer will this take. Answer: However long it takes until Saddam is removed and the Iraqi people freed from oppression.

Blair restating urgency of Oil for Food program restarting.

BBC reporter: Did we underestimate the Iraqi resistance?
Blair: People have speculated as to how long the job will take but it will take however long it takes. We are just under a week and a massive amount has been acheived.

"Should Iraqis prepare for nuclear weapons if WMD are used against coalition forces?"
Bush: "Saddam Hussein has tortured and brutalized his people for a long, long time. His sons are brutal people...barbaric in nature. Not surprised to hear stories about his thugs killing innocent citizens and blaming it on the coalition. If he uses WMD it just proves our case and we will deal with it. We have one objective. We will achieve victory. If they launch a WMD they will be tried as war criminals."

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's better to have the international community take part in post-war Iraq. The Iraqi people will welcome the US once they're liberated but if the US stays in there too long without UN participation, tensions may flare up again.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Bah france, germany, russia would only want to be in on it for the oil. Bad situation all around but at least the US is doing right.

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dudleydocker
Sure, the rest of the UN can help..............get out your checkbook and be ready to write a number with a LOT of zeroes!!!!

rolleye.gif
:D

arynn

Feb 16, 2001
I expect Bush and Blair will work it out. From what I've heard in the news, the UN doesn't want to administer the post-war government in Iraq. I expect the US/UK will start working with the UN soon to work things out.

However, if the UN does not want to administer the government I would expect the coalition would have to handle that on its own.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: freegeeks

replace "stab-in-the-back" with "different opinion" and you are closer to the truth

Don't know about Germany and Russia but with France it was definately a stab-in-the-back. As I understand it France assured Colin Powell that they were completely onboard with 1441 and military intervention should Iraq commit a material breach of said resolution. They then went out and actually started offering finacial incentives to some of the poorer security council member countries and actively obstructed the US in the security council. Most definately qualifies as a Stab-In-The-Back in my mind.