Burner halts computer and/or bsod after one successful burn...

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
It's the Iomega/Plextor 12x10x32 IDE. I thought it was because I overclocked the bus to >33, but even when I run it at 33 and less it crashes on the 2nd or 3rd burn (in a row). Anyone know what else could be wrong? Thanks.

sgopal2

Mar 11, 2001
Whats your motherboard?

I had a problem in the past with motherboards that had VIA chipsets...apparently VIA busmaster drivers cause problems with most CD-R and CD-RW drives. They didn't have any driver updates or patches the last time I checked.

If you do have a VIA based chipset mobo, you may want to consider getting another mobo.

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
Hahaha, you guessed right, though I didn't have this problem with my other VIA motherboards. I turned off DMA, and the buffer would die really fast, but I have burnproof, so it finished the cd okay. I don't have the VIA drivers installed, but now know it's a DMA problem. Any suggestions to a fix (if any?) Thanks.

BTW, it's an Epox 8KTA3

sgopal2

Mar 11, 2001
yeah...I had an EPOX board as well.

I managed to get my old burner to work temporarily by removing the VIA busmaster drivers and letting windows reinstall its default IDE drivers. This is a pain because your system will run very slowly if accessing the drives and multitasking.

I found it to be unstable as well. I managed to burn a few CDs, but then I installed efax software and the whole thing crapped out. I got so fed up that I bought a new motherboard.

jmorrell

Oct 20, 1999
I had the same problem. I went to VIA's web page for a possible solution. VIA suggests uninstalling their bus master drivers and let Windows install the default bus mastering drivers for VIA chipsets. I did that, and everything works just fine. No more lockups, and performance seems to be just fine. Been running it this way for several months now.

briddle

Feb 1, 2001
I have an adaptec 3.0 with an hp 9110. I am running a 850 tbird with an msi pro2a mobo. It uses the via chipset kt133 and when I first installed w98 se and the burner, I could put a blank cd in and the screen would pop up to give you a menu, but now when I put a cd in, it usually hangs up. I did not know about the via chipset problems. I have a at100/7200 drive running in dma mode and my system is very fast, will it affect this speed if I uninstall the via drivers and let windows install its own??

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
Hmm, I installed the Windows drivers and it still does that...will try another burning program and see if that would help (Nero was the one crashing).

TeMpT

Feb 2, 2001
hawk,

I think the problem may not be tied to the via drivers. If i am not mistaken, you may have the following:

SB Live (or its relative)
CDRW on the 2nd IDE channel

If so, the problem is with SBLive's driver conflicting with your DMA stuff. There is a solution to the problem by downloading the IDE Busmaster Driver SEPARATELY (not using the one that comes with 4in1). After you downloaded it, uninstall the IDE Busmaster from the 4in1 (I think it is re-coined as ATAPI driver in 4in1). Then install the newly downloaded IDE Busmaster, choosing the install the Miniport version, not the default VxD.

After miniport, you should be able to burn CDRW with DMA turned ON. The only price you pay is for the slightly higher CPU usage during HD access (at least that's what HD Tach is saying).

btw...you may want to use the "test" mode in CDRWin during your testing so you don't keep making coasters.