Bumbling House GOP, in effort to attack Obama on Benghazi, expose CIA cover on TV

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So, let me get this straight:
State department shows a picture of our embassy
GOP goes: "hey hey hey, you can't show that! Its classified info!"
State department: "I assure you, nothing being shown here is classified info."
GOP: "Yea it is! There's a CIA compound in our embassy! You see that building there that you labelled annex? That's an undercover CIA outpost! Secret classified stuff happens there!"
State department: "... Shut the fuck up, you dumbass. There's a reason its labelled annex and not 'SUPER SECRET CLASSIFIED CIA BASE.'"

I don't see how the blame for revealing the CIA compound can be laid on anyone but the GOP.

Perfect explanation for the "Classification for Dummies" crowd.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Stuff is not classified that way on someones whim.

It either was or was not information that should have not been talked about.

State started talking about things that should not have been in an open forum. they knew better!

Are you and Matt related? This is not hard. The existence of the building was not classified. It was visible from the air. It was probably visible from the ground. It was nothing special. The public had no idea the building was used for classified purposes. It was just another random building. Then the idiot GOPer blurted out it was classified. Now everybody knows the building is for the CIA. This only happened because the GOP staged this circus to attack Obama. They care more about attacking Obama than they do about protecting the US.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
So, let me get this straight:
State department shows a picture of our embassy
GOP goes: "hey hey hey, you can't show that! Its classified info!"
State department: "I assure you, nothing being shown here is classified info."
GOP: "Yea it is! There's a CIA compound in our embassy! You see that building there that you labelled annex? That's an undercover CIA outpost! Secret classified stuff happens there!"
State department: "... Shut the fuck up, you dumbass. There's a reason its labelled annex and not 'SUPER SECRET CLASSIFIED CIA BASE.'"

I don't see how the blame for revealing the CIA compound can be laid on anyone but the GOP.

This. Well done.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
OH my goodness these demons are horriable , were in the video does it say the cia used the annex building . give time stamp on video . If the CIA was present thats just another big fail. CIA should have been ontop of this , They were not . and this is a 100% demon fail

Nov 30, 2006
Are you and Matt related? This is not hard. The existence of the building was not classified. It was visible from the air. It was probably visible from the ground. It was nothing special. The public had no idea the building was used for classified purposes. It was just another random building. Then the idiot GOPer blurted out it was classified. Now everybody knows the building is for the CIA. This only happened because the GOP staged this circus to attack Obama. They care more about attacking Obama than they do about protecting the US.
Where exactly did Chaffetz expose CIA cover? I've listened to the video a couple times I can't find it.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I believe it is the large poster. It shows precisely where the 7 CIA agents hang out. It is their secret base.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
What this forum says reallly doesn't matter as we have way more demons on this forum than repulsives . Stupid Repulsives have day jobs they have to work .

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
MS Lamd shows a layout with 4 buildings and she discribes what each building is . She says were the secruity agents are well befor the chair ask that layout not be shown anymore

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
The state dept official did not refer to anything about the CIA. It was the Republican twit from Utah who interjected that into an open hearing.

from the OP's own link....

That the Benghazi compound had included a large CIA presence had been reported but not confirmed. The New York Times, for example, had reported that among those evacuated were “about a dozen CIA operatives and contractors.” The paper, like The Washington Post, withheld locations and details of the facilities at the administration’s request.

Seems this whole thing wasn't much of a secret. but I love the "outrage" shown by phokus and his ilk.

Where was your outrage when the obama administration outed the Pakastani doctor who aided the CIA?????

Obama was so damn proud of himself he just had to let it all out... now another operation like this will never happen again... not to mention the groups giving out vaccines had to stop. But little phokus had a bump in his trousers when he was getting this thread together it seems.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Where was your outrage when the obama administration outed the Pakastani doctor who aided the CIA?????

Repeating lies over & over doesn't make them true-

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-disclosed-identity-jailed-pakistani-doctor/

Peter King is, of course, one of Issa's princes of grandstanding sleaze-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._King

He makes unproveable attributions after the fact, and the usual ravers lap it up.

The whole hearing is just another grandstanding event of Issa's committee. They already know the facts- they've been briefed, but what they want is to embarrass the Admin, basically at any cost.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
The NYT, LAT and other media outlets already exposed this information back in September. Dana Milbank and the left are doing more damage than the repubs on the committee by trying to push this out into the mainstream. Luckily it doesn't seem to be getting much traction except on forums and left wing sites.

In Benghazi, CIA operatives were working from a diplomatic compound. Their mission included identifying and tracking extremist militants and searching for surface-to-air missiles missing since Libyan ruler Moammar Kadafi was toppled and killed last year.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/25/world/la-fg-cia-libya-20120926

The attack has raised questions about the adequacy of security preparations at the two American compounds in Benghazi: the American mission, the main diplomatic facility where Mr. Stevens and another American diplomat died of smoke inhalation after an initial attack, and an annex a half-mile away that encompassed four buildings inside a low-walled compound.

From among these buildings, the C.I.A. personnel carried out their secret missions. The New York Times agreed to withhold locations and details of these operations at the request of Obama administration officials, who said that disclosing such information could jeopardize future sensitive government activities and put at risk American personnel working in dangerous settings.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/w...major-blow-to-cia-efforts.html?pagewanted=all

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Repeating lies over & over doesn't make them true-

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-disclosed-identity-jailed-pakistani-doctor/

Peter King is, of course, one of Issa's princes of grandstanding sleaze-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._King

He makes unproveable attributions after the fact, and the usual ravers lap it up.

The whole hearing is just another grandstanding event of Issa's committee. They already know the facts- they've been briefed, but what they want is to embarrass the Admin, basically at any cost.

This deserves it's own thread... but really, if I said that the obama administration leaked a little too much information about the tactics used to zero in on bin laden resulting in Pakistani authorities investigating Dr. Afridi's activities and ultimately his role in the DNA collection plan... you would probably hold your hands over your ears going nyah nyah nyah.

We get it... republicans are sleaze but the democrats produce copious amounts of shit that simply does not stink.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This deserves it's own thread... but really, if I said that the obama administration leaked a little too much information about the tactics used to zero in on bin laden resulting in Pakistani authorities investigating Dr. Afridi's activities and ultimately his role in the DNA collection plan... you would probably hold your hands over your ears going nyah nyah nyah.

We get it... republicans are sleaze but the democrats produce copious amounts of shit that simply does not stink.

First you said "outed", as in the Plame affair, but now you say the Admin was incautious wrt information...

Nice backpedal.