Built new computer, get no display

cestral

Sep 4, 2011
I built a new computer but something is wrong and I can't figure out what it is. Since I bought everything in pieces from different places, I have no specific store to turn to.

When I turn on the computer, all the case fans start and I can hear the hard drives ticking, but I get no picture. The monitor doesn't respond whatsoever.

I have built a few computers in my life and haven't had an issue before.

I have tried with two different video cards, switched monitors, switched display cables, and all power cables appear to be connected properly at both ends (CPU/GPU/Mobo/PSU). I have also re-seated the RAM sticks, and they are placed in the correct slots according to my motherboard manual.

These are the components I use:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz
RAM: G.Skill Flare (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W

I have no idea what could be wrong and I'm starting to think it's a RAM or CPU issue, but that's just a guess. Any ideas?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You didn't mention what GPU you have.

Forgot to supply power to GPU adapter?

Not enough power for GPU adapter?

Or if you still use VGA cables, the pins could be bent.

cestral

Sep 4, 2011
Just wanted to give an update. I have resolved the issue and there were actually two hardware problems.

I found that the motherboard had signal lights for any issues found. It signaled that there was a RAM issue. So I tried the RAM-sticks separately, and with the first stick it kept pointing at the RAM being the issue, but when I put in the other stick it would point to the video card instead.

So when I switched video card (again) then it booted up! So apparently I have one faulty RAM-stick and a broken video card. That sucks, but at least now I know what the problem is, and the RAM is new so I can get that replaced.

Thanks for the advice.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Just wanted to give an update. I have resolved the issue and there were actually two hardware problems.

I found that the motherboard had signal lights for any issues found. It signaled that there was a RAM issue. So I tried the RAM-sticks separately, and with the first stick it kept pointing at the RAM being the issue, but when I put in the other stick it would point to the video card instead.

So when I switched video card (again) then it booted up! So apparently I have one faulty RAM-stick and a broken video card. That sucks, but at least now I know what the problem is, and the RAM is new so I can get that replaced.

Thanks for the advice.
I myself just posted a thread beginning with the word "Troubleshooting: . . " A RAM issue, as you mentioned, just requires some patience for posting a box at USPS and waiting for the mail over a couple weeks. I prefer G.SKILL, but there are lots of good RAM choices of different manufacture. G.SKILL has a lifetime warranty for replacement. The RMA replacement kits were good. I never had to worry about the support. The actual work of swapping the RAM is relatively almost nothing.