Built my new HTPC from scraps laying around :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Great effort, though I wouldnt install all the HDD...My sever has all the space I need, every other device just streams from the server, why double up?
I'm not trying to be smart here and actually was toying with the idea of having a server. However, what is the difference between having a dedicated file server vs. right clicking a drive and choose "share" on my HTPC?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I'm wondering, with all those drives if it wouldn't be a good idea to use the ZFS file system on Linux?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I'm not trying to be smart here and actually was toying with the idea of having a server. However, what is the difference between having a dedicated file server vs. right clicking a drive and choose "share" on my HTPC?

Í just like to know where my docs are, rather than several machines sharing, I have only the one to worry about backing up. I also have Plex Media Server running, which is another reason to have it all in the one place.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Í just like to know where my docs are, rather than several machines sharing, I have only the one to worry about backing up. I also have Plex Media Server running, which is another reason to have it all in the one place.

Exactly my reasons as well (except I don't use Plex specifically).

Let's not forget how much easier it is to use an always on 24/7 device that isn't getting turned on and off periodically, isn't having programs installed/uninstalled then requiring reboot and not to mention the security benefits of not having your important data stored on a general workstation.

A good NAS now will last many years longer than a great workstation that is pulling double-duty with shared drives.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Say that I have an extra PC for sandboxing, can you give me directions as to how to go about setting one up? What operating system do I need to install, and what software to install, how to set or configure it? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Plenty of info there for your at the site and nice people to hold your hand as well.

Any O/S will do, even a x86 NAS will do the trick and transcode for non x86 devices.....I have mine running in a VM reading the media on my file server. As you can see, its only an old 7 yr old HP server.....
https://plex.tv/

Last edited:

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I'm wondering, with all those drives if it wouldn't be a good idea to use the ZFS file system on Linux?

then you start going into the territory where people say that you should go with ECC RAM.

I'm having this dilemma myself. I have a full tower ATX rig , i7 2600K w/ about 9 TB in storage that i'm using as my main desktop PC, but also doubles as a server to my HTPC downstairs to stream movies to.
I started cobbling together a lower powered celeron G530 system with some dedicated WD Red hard drives that i was going to install freenas and use as my primary server. started reading up on the freenas forums and everyone says either go big or go home, go with ECC RAM and a server motherboard, doing so would add about $400 that I would rather not spend right now. UGH. I'm the kind of guy that wants to do things right, but at the same time, i'm just streaming movies and pictures and doing some minor backup. the only "mission critical" stuff i have are personal documents and files that I've traditionally been backing up to an external HD every once in a while. sure it would be nice to have that automated too. i'm stuck and have no idea what path to take now.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
then you start going into the territory where people say that you should go with ECC RAM.

I'm having this dilemma myself. I have a full tower ATX rig , i7 2600K w/ about 9 TB in storage that i'm using as my main desktop PC, but also doubles as a server to my HTPC downstairs to stream movies to.
I started cobbling together a lower powered celeron G530 system with some dedicated WD Red hard drives that i was going to install freenas and use as my primary server. started reading up on the freenas forums and everyone says either go big or go home, go with ECC RAM and a server motherboard, doing so would add about $400 that I would rather not spend right now. UGH. I'm the kind of guy that wants to do things right, but at the same time, i'm just streaming movies and pictures and doing some minor backup. the only "mission critical" stuff i have are personal documents and files that I've traditionally been backing up to an external HD every once in a while. sure it would be nice to have that automated too. i'm stuck and have no idea what path to take now.

Meh, do what you want I say. People on forums will always push for the best. My two Unraid systems were made out of low-end 775 parts and they have been running fine for 4 years. You can always upgrade to something better down the road.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Meh, do what you want I say. People on forums will always push for the best. My two Unraid systems were made out of low-end 775 parts and they have been running fine for 4 years. You can always upgrade to something better down the road.

yeah, it seems like unraid has much lower system requirements and isn't so finicky about the whole ecc ram thing. I'm just going to go with this route for now, since i already have all the parts laying around. i'll pick up a haswell xeon with ddr3 ecc when whatever new chipset comes along and makes ddr3 obsolete.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006

Don't get too caught up in ECC if you already have the hardware. Any storage system CAN benefit from using ECC memory but FreeNAS doesn't directly benefit from it any more than anything else (I believe). It's just that if you are going to utilize the benefits of ZFS, you might want to consider going whole hog and getting ECC, too. ECC just corrects errors before the data is written (and hence, stored) on the HDDs. It's useful for corporate situations with millions of I/O transactions over a very short period of time, but a home server system where I/O is low compared to a business environment, the likelihood of ECC making a difference is very small.

If you are still obssessed with the idea, you can get an AMD AM3+ CPU and Asus motherboard for less than $200 that supports ECC if you feel like you have to have it.

Jinny

Feb 16, 2000
nice build,
I'm still using my htpc build from 2007:

Laptop cpu: coreduo 1.8ghz
3 gig sodimm,
aopen mobo
(usually) boots openelec XBMC from usb drive.
control via Yatse.

sometimes I pop in a small 64gig ssd drive with windows in it if i need it for more than xbmc...ie netflix, espn streaming

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Big changes are coming and I'll be updating this with more pics next week.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Oh, boy... this is GREAT!!!! :biggrin:
Teaser...

Waiting on a couple of Hitachi Ultrastar :whiste:
2a5c0b6.jpg

Got a decent deal (to me) on a couple of Hitachi Ultrastar on eBay. Waiting for them to come. Meanwhile, I figured out how to use Windows 7 as a file server. I don't need to build a dedicated NAS box to let everyone share music and videos.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I think Larry's point was S939 never supported DDR2 RAM, it used DDR1. The memory controller interface wasn't designed for DDR2.

Sorry. I built it so long ago, and haven't touched it in so long that I forgot what type of ram it uses. I think it might even only have 2gb and not 4.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I was able to sell the old setup (Socket 775 Q6600 setup: Mobo, CPU, Ram) and upgraded to a newer system.

Now it's running on
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Intel Core i3 3250
8gb DDR3 ram
AMD Radeon HD 7850

A whole bunch of Hitachi Ultrastar hard drives that I got a deal on ebay :)

2 intake fans to cool the hard drives and 2 exhaust fans on top of the case.

I realized that I use the home theater PC to play games more than my desktop so I put a radeon 7850 in it. 5.1 surround sound is just awesome and sitting comfortable on the sofa is much better than a computer chair.

This PC is going to also serve files throughout the home network :) I finally figured out how to do so without using alternative Operating systems (Freenas, win server, etc...)

14mdude.jpg