Built my first computer, need help with some stuff

Looney1a

Sep 26, 2002
First of all, i would like to say hello to everyone on this forum, because after all this is my first post.

Anyway, on with business. My first problem is my refresh rates, my monitor can handle 85hz on a 1024 x 768 but it only runs at 60hz. Becuase i run all my games on this it's very annoying. I can change it mannually to 85hz then when i change the res, then change it back to 1024 x 768 it's back at 60hz! After playing Ut2003 for 2 hours on 60hz it feels like my eyes are about to explode.

My next problem is gta3, big texures go across streets and alleyways which are not supposed to be there. It looks a bit like a piece of metal has been strected across the middle of the street, and it isn't pretty.

My score in 3dmark 2001 is about 13610, give or take a bit (on defualt settings). Is this a good score for my system? Or did i screw something up. My ut2003 benchmark score in 158fps (if i remeber correctly) on flyby and about 58fps on botmatch. I ran it on a 1024 x768 res 4x FSAA and 16x Anisotropic. Again is this a good score?

My system specs are:
2.4GhzB Pentium 4
512mb pc2700 kinston 'value' ram
Gigabyte P4 Titian GA-8IGX (i845G)
ATi Radeon 9700pro - catalyst v2.3
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
D-Link 56k modem
16x DVD Lite-On
80gb Seagate Barracuda 4
17" Hyundai Image Quest F770D Monitor
Windows XP
Other stuff which doesn't matter

By the how do i get my system specs in that thing down the bottom of my posts? Putting it there would be easier than typing it every time i have a problem.

Thanx for your help in advance.

Looney

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
Welcome to the best forums of their kind on the web :)

My first problem is my refresh rates, my monitor can handle 85hz on a 1024 x 768 but it only runs at 60hz. Becuase i run all my games on this it's very annoying. I can change it mannually to 85hz then when i change the res, then change it back to 1024 x 768 it's back at 60hz! After playing Ut2003 for 2 hours on 60hz it feels like my eyes are about to explode.

Windows automatically defaults to 60MHz. It's not your hardware. You can bypass this by using a refresh rate fix such as refreshlock, refreshfix, radeonater 2.0.

My next problem is gta3, big texures go across streets and alleyways which are not supposed to be there. It looks a bit like a piece of metal has been strected across the middle of the street, and it isn't pretty.

Are you using the newest Catalyst 2.3 drivers?

My score in 3dmark 2001 is about 13610, give or take a bit (on defualt settings). Is this a good score for my system? Or did i screw something up. My ut2003 benchmark score in 158fps (if i remeber correctly) on flyby and about 58fps on botmatch. I ran it on a 1024 x768 res 4x FSAA and 16x Anisotropic. Again is this a good score?

158fps with 4x FSAA & 16x Anistropic....I'ld say that was extremely good :D

Looks like you have a great rig...have fun and again welcome :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I've never had trouble with the refresh rates in my games. I always get it to run at 85hz or 100hz if I tell the game to run at that setting through the .ini or .cfg files. I dunno why everyone complains about the refresh rates.

This is no help I know, but I always wonder what people see that I don't.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
the gta3 thing is just a driver bug, or actualy slopy codeing on rockstars part im sure, just that the worked around it with the gefroce. unfortnaly it seems that ati is going to have to figure out a way to fix it if it ever gets fixed at are becasue rockstar is prety lame about fixing anything. btw, glad you actualy have enough of an attention span to notice it, most people dont even realise it sadly enough. ohh an interesting thing is that all you have to do is while looking at the problem alt-tab out of the game, then swich back in and the glitch goes away.

Looney1a

Sep 26, 2002
First of all, thanx Tates, those program helped me out alot, playing UT2003 on 85hz is ALOT better than 60hz, there is alot less eye strain. After i post the original thread I thought 158fps sounded a bit too high, so i ran the test again and got 125fps on flyby, i thought I didn't remeber the right. The other two scores are right. In my hunt to find a fix to gta3 i found a patch at ATi for my Radeon. It fixes almost all the glitches, but now i'm having trouble with morrowind.. alwell, you win, you lose some.

Looney