built a computer for a friend of a friend

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
= NOT my friend, and i REFUSE to be tech support for life. so what kind of contract/clause should i give him on warranty/labor/parts?

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
"here's your computer, i hope you know how to use it because i'm not from india b!tch"

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I tell them parts have a 1 year warranty, user stupidity is not included ie: anything they mess up.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
friend of a friend? you're too nice. tell your friend to tell the other dude, that you can't be bothered. did you make a profit or something?

akodi

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2003
if you didn't charge him, then he's on his own. if you did charge him you brought it upon yourself.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
just give him the the manufacturers warrenty info. And tell him if somthing goes wrong you charge XX amount an hour. XX minimum per visit....unless its a hot chick then say "we can work somthing out" ;);)

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
tell him that support via phone is availible on days that have that have T's in their names but no h's from 13:00-13:15 and no months with r's in it .

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Joeyman
just give him the the manufacturers warrenty info. And tell him if somthing goes wrong you charge XX amount an hour. XX minimum per visit....unless its a hot chick then say "we can work somthing out" ;);)

You mean work something IN

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Joker81
Originally posted by: Joeyman

You mean work something IN

Hopefully IN and OUT again and again.............. :)

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: akodi
if you didn't charge him, then he's on his own. if you did charge him you brought it upon yourself.

Agreed. But, even if he just charged for the parts, but no labor, then the purchaser will still assume some kind of support would be provided.

Heck, I see computer shops in my area, charge just $40 to $60 to assemble a computer. If I were to do such a thing, I'd be so screwed. Charging such a little amount, means that the first support call you get, you'll go into the hole on the deal financially. Then again, I'm not sure of such warranty that they're providing.

I'd say: 15 days labor / 1 year parts. But, spell it out. If anything is going to die (e.g. memory, etc.) it will do so very early on. By spelling it out (e.g. - labor will be provided after 15 days for a charge of $45 per hour, with $30 for the first 30 minutes being charged as a minimum labor fee.) However, keep in mind, that usually these details should be provided up-front so the purchaser will know what they are getting. Other wise, they just assume that you'll give them a 3-year warranty or so.

Best of luck ... I have a feeling you're going to need it.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: NutBucket
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Send him this link: http://www.dell.com

Never build computers for people you don't know.

Building for people you know is worse! How do you turn down family, etc?

Bottomline: Don't build anything for anyone.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: AkumaX
= NOT my friend, and i REFUSE to be tech support for life. so what kind of contract/clause should i give him on warranty/labor/parts?

Tell him the warranty is on factory hardware defect only, extending per-part as far as the manuf has extended it; explain that filling out the applications and down-time is for him to deal with. Unless he'd "like to pay an extra $300 now for the computer, as you will with Dell."

T2T is right, be very specific about no other written or implied warranties existing. Your time for ordering and putting the comp together is worth $40 an hour, charge at that.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
tell 'em to get a laptop. Insist their lighter, more productive and mobile.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
"I DON'T WORK FOR FREE"

"WATCHING A COMPUTER REBOOT FOR HALF A DAY IS NOT MY IDEA OF FUN"

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Either:

Buy it all from a vendor with good warranty service (I'd say Newegg) and give him paper copies of all invoices and warranty information + all retail packaging, parts, and CDs.

There are some drawbacks: If he needs a replacement, he might need you to do the RMA process if he trouble getting RMA service himself. Furthermore, he has if he doesn't really know how to fix the computer, he'll be kind of SOL and pissed if he doesn't have anyone he can call who can get him started.

Or:

Forget about it and perhaps recommend a Dell configuration for him to customize and buy for himself.

This is probably the best unless it's for family.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
exactly why you don't do favors for people you don't know. Just make sure it's in perfect working order before he gets it, and tell him "everything works fine, if you have any questions I suggest you contact the manufacturers of the parts or search for information on google because free time is hard to come by for me. (Casually mention how you barely found the time to build this PC)

Then, if they ever ask you for help, don't let them tell you anything about it and tell them you will get back to them.... but don't.

They should have listened to you in the first place. Actually, come to think of it, they should have figured out that if you wanted to do this all the time, you'd have started a business. But if they need help with something as simple as computers, then I think they'd have trouble to begin with.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Just built another computer for my father in law, upgraded his 400mhz Celeron that he'd managed to corrupt Windows XP on @ least 4 times.

Thought one of my creations would spontaneously combust when I put AOL on it, apparently not though:(

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
If there was nothing in writing then you don't need to help him. Just say you never agreed to any tech support. Tell him to find a forum to get help.

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
When I build comps I charge 100 bucks.

They get 30 days on software and I will repair any under warranty stuff for free. (I use the manufacturer warrenty).

I tell them to BACK UP THEIR DATA regularly as I do not do heavy level data recovery.

I tell them NOT TO LOSE THE DISKS. I do not keep copies of their software.

If I do a repair I stand behind it as long as the MANUFATUER DOES for my time.
Used parts get thirty days Parts and labor.

warranty work you come to me however.

I charge 35 bucks to WALK IN YOUR DOOR and you get me for 30 minutes after that it is 50 an hour.

Labor on my bench is 35 an hour.

I don't do alot of work but I do keep most of the unreasonables away.

I also highly recommend if someone has a problem they email me and I will respond within 72 hour at most. usually it is within 12.