Building interfaces to common household appliances (i.e. home automation)

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

Home Automation is a novel idea that has been with man kind since the begin of time. I don?t see a point of automate anything through a central unit that could breakdown, because a simple timer and thermostat is more than adequate for the task and is less likely to breakdown compare to a complex windows program.

Just search for the Home Automation world and you will find loads of links on the matter if you must have the complexity of technology to control a few lights?This reminded me of the mid 80?s when Apple ad campaign touting Home Automation as a way to sell Macs.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
As noted, I don't truly have a functional purpose for all of this, I consider the mere novelty of the concept to be a fun project. I have no problem building the software for it, I just need to figure out the electrical/hardware piece. I don't merely want to control a few lights, but accomplishing that would open the door I need to build more involved interfaces.

Dood

Aug 16, 2001
X10.com has lots of "x10" protocol (works over existing AC lines) modules and controllers for lamps, appliances, etc. I have the standalone controller programmed to trigger certain events (lights on/off) based on motion outside my house. Gives my house that lived-in look.

The cheap controller is about $30. The appliance and light modules are about $12 each.