Building a "toaster gamer." What are my options?

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
This is a bit unusual request. Last year I decided to build a custom gaming PC from scratch. I bought an i3-2100, GTX 660 2GB, and 24" IPS monitor, along with other components. It played every game I owned on Steam at 50-120 fps in 1080p. However, I had to sell that computer because I'm moving soon.

Now plan to build another PC from scratch, but my needs are different. In fact, I'd like to build a "toaster": something that's used and cheap, but has decent power. I literally only play Valve games these days: Dota 2, CS:GO, and Team Fortress.

Since my gaming requirements are pretty simple, what components would serve my purposes at the best price? My only hardware requirement is to play these 3 games at a modest 720P. Ultra high fps is nice but unnecessary, really only need for games to play smooth at 35 fps minimum. I'm just looking for CPU and GPU recommendations here, the rest I'll figure out myself.

Specific questions:

1. Is there any reason to go for an 1156 i5 CPU over an 1155 Pentium if the prices are comparable? Ideally want to spend $60 on the CPU, but $75 is my maximum if I must stretch.

2. Any good AMD toaster CPU options?

3. What commonly available used GPUs for $100 or less (both AMD and Nvidia) fit my requirements?

Thanks in advance - any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
So what is your actual overall budget? Do you need the entire machine including case and OS?

Feb 25, 2011
Socket 1155 or 1150. There's not much benefit to going with older gen hardware unless you're getting a hell of a good deal. (You're often buying used or refurb'd for only a few bucks less than new.)

What's your overall budget?

I'm thinking a Pentium G1850 (~$60) / Radeon R7-260X (~$130) build would be nice. H81 motherboard, PSU, RAM, and any ol' hard drive will put you in a reasonably capable rig for under $400.

By "toaster," do you mean you're looking for something small and compact? (SFF)

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
My budget is $250 for CPU, mobo, RAM, and GPU. I already have a 450W PSU w/8-pin and I will find a cheap case and monitor after I move. So that's basically all parts accounted for, right?

A "toaster" as in used and cheap, but with adequate power. Like how people say "linux toaster" for a cheap and used PC that can run a linux build. You haven't heard of that term before?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
2. Any good AMD toaster CPU options?
The Kaveri apu has the best integrated gfx going for AMD. I think the performance is roughly equivalent to a 630 which would give decent (30fps) playing dota2. The other 2 games (GO, TF) are even older and have even less hardware requirements I would think. Theres the Carizo upgrade path in 2015 for the future so you aren't too locked in.
If you prefer discrete graphics cards, its a no brainer to go Intel.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
A "toaster" as in used and cheap, but with adequate power. Like how people say "linux toaster" for a cheap and used PC that can run a linux build. You haven't heard of that term before?

Never have, must be pretty uncommon 'round these parts.

An APU would do the job if you're looking for the solution with the least number of parts, but a Intel CPU + discrete GPU is the way to go for highest performance.

Pentium G3220 $63
ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 $46
Crucial DDR3 1600 4GB $40
PowerColor 7850 2GB $100 AR
Total: $249 AR