Building a 4K editing PC

LEE CEPERO

Feb 4, 2018
Hello

I'm looking to build a 4 K editing PC and I'm stuck between a couple of options and was wondering if I could get some expert advise.

What I'm doing as far as editing. I am primarily editing 1080 and 4K on Adobe Premier.
What I have right now? I don't Know but its crap, 4K drone footage has to be edited one frame at a time and it sucks.
We typically run 8-10 hours of editing at a time about once a week but remember the PC we have now is very slow.

My PC build Budget is LIMITED and want the best bang for the buck and will spend the money if I have to BUT that being said, I wonder if really need to spend that much money on a system?

So from research and what little that my friends know, here is what I have for options...

OPTION 1
.AMD YD180XBCAEWOF Ryzen 7 1800X Processor
.ASUS PRIME X370-PRO Motherboard
.ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G)
The cost for this is around $1000

OPTION 2
.Intel Core i9-7920X Processor
.PNY GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
.ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E motherboard
This option is running $2600

Now I do understand that I need other components, like Case, 750 Power, 32 GB Ram and a water cooling fan, I have that covered.

So for what I'm doing is OPTION 1 good enough??

Thanks

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What brought you to these 2 options? If this is something you are going to be doing for a while, it's hard not to recommend the best you can get for your budget.

It would still help for the sake of perspective to know what you are running now.

LEE CEPERO

Feb 4, 2018
Reviews for building a 4K editing PC brought me to these 2 options.

Option 1 was reviews on building a 4K editing PC for a small budget that is compatible handling 4K without a problem for around $2500. Based on reviews?

Option 2 was building a 4K editing PC for maximum performance and this option cost around $4500+

What I’m running now is a Dell Studio

.Intel core i7 processor 860 @ 2.8 h
.16gb ram
.64-bit operating system
.Windows 10
.1 TB hard drive
. Not sure what graphics card

I’m working with premier pro and it’s very slow editing video and rendering. I’m not doing anything crazy as far as editing animation just 1080 and 4K video.

So my questions are?
Will the Ryzen 7 1800 handle what I’m trying to accomplish?
And do I need a high end graphics card to just edit video? No animation editing or gaming

Or does the graphics card go hand and hand with the processor?

Thanks

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
4k is extremely demanding. The video card is the place to put the money. A current processor is a big help too, but maybe not quite so much. So maybe the video card from the high budget build with the CPU and motherboard from the lower budget build. With video card prices where they are, that's hard to recommend. But in a perfect world, that's probably what I would do.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
The 1800X will blow your old i7 out of the water. That's the best option as you still have a lot to invest in 32GB of ram and a good video card. At least a GTX 1060 6GB or higher preferably.