Build opinions

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017
So, here is my build. Many told me the CPU is kinda old and ram is slow. Anyway, I upgraded a bit.
My budget is 1.5k but that includes the OS, pc itself, and monitor. I am going to use it mostly for gaming, at 1080p. I play Counterstrike (my laptop gives me 9fps), Rocket League (what do you know, 3fps), and that's it because this PC is to potato for other games. Anyway, here it is:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fishy4004/saved/tVyWXL

I might get a modular PSU as the NZXT H440 has tight spaces, but it kinda does the cable management "for you" in a way!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
It looks good, it's just that I don't want to go too high with the price.
So what's your real budget?
7G3zITG.png

Or are you one of those people who doesn't do mail-in rebates? I am, too, but you need to mention these things.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
It looks good, it's just that I don't want to go too high with the price.

I would go with Ken g6's build and maybe drop the 500GB hard drive for now to save some cash. You could also drop the GPU from a 1070 to either a 580 8GB or a 1060 6GB.

The CPU you selected is positively ancient by now, plus there is no point in buying a rig with your budget an getting 8GB of RAM.

If you find you need space, buy a hard drive next month or the month after.

Reactions: Ken g6

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017
7G3zITG.png
Or are you one of those people who doesn't do mail-in rebates? I am, too, but you need to mention these things.
7G3zITG.png
My real budget, we'll I'd say under 1.5k but in between 1.2 and 1.4k. I use amazon (before anyone says Newegg, I'm aware). I forgot to mention, that this is a base build, and in the future I will upgrade, peice by peice. But if there is anything that CAN change to make it faster or more efficient, tell me. Just don't let it disrupt my budget.

Last edited:

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017
7G3zITG.png

Well, can I change something? Surely there is something on the market that I can use

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017
I like Ancalagon44's suggestions. Drop the hard drive and get a 1060 for now. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/682DGf

Darn 8600k is out of stock at Amazon again. Grab one when you can find one.
I don't want to sound rude, but everything is going to be upgraded later, I'm not expecting it to be a super PC, as long as I can play CSGO at 60FPS the least, I'm happy. I just want to know if it's "solid" if you know what I mean.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I don't want to sound rude, but everything is going to be upgraded later, I'm not expecting it to be a super PC, as long as I can play CSGO at 60FPS the least, I'm happy. I just want to know if it's "solid" if you know what I mean.
OK, I think I partly see what you want. You want a PC that can play CSGO well, as cheaply as possible, while still maintaining the ability to upgrade?

So, the next question is, which parts do you want to be "throwaway" parts, that you'll upgrade later? I can easily see using a HDD instead of an SSD to start. The video card pretty much has to be a "throwaway". What about the mobo? The monitor? The CPU? The PSU? The case?!

Or do you want to get rid of the whole system when you upgrade? If you want a second opinion, try this: http://www.logicalincrements.com/games/csgo

Reactions: Fishy4004

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017
OK, I think I partly see what you want. You want a PC that can play CSGO well, as cheaply as possible, while still maintaining the ability to upgrade?

So, the next question is, which parts do you want to be "throwaway" parts, that you'll upgrade later? I can easily see using a HDD instead of an SSD to start. The video card pretty much has to be a "throwaway". What about the mobo? The monitor? The CPU? The PSU? The case?!

Or do you want to get rid of the whole system when you upgrade? If you want a second opinion, try this: http://www.logicalincrements.com/games/csgo
You got everything down actually, thank you! Not only CSGO, but other games (my cousin wants me to get Destiny 2). I'll most likely upgrade my CPU, RAM, Storage, Monitor, and GPU. The case I like, so that I'm keeping as long as possible. I can get an HDD instead of an SSD, but I heard SSD's are smaller and faster.

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017

I scanned the site, very informative. It said a 1050 will give you a good FPS, but I went with the 1060 to ensure other games would be just as playable

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
For playing those games you shouldn't have any trouble, especially not at 60hz. You can probably run csgo at 200-300 fps most of the time, and rocket league probably similar. Why not look into getting a 144hz monitor? It's great for csgo and rocket league.

Reactions: Fishy4004

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017
For playing those games you shouldn't have any trouble, especially not at 60hz. You can probably run csgo at 200-300 fps most of the time, and rocket league probably similar. Why not look into getting a 144hz monitor? It's great for csgo and rocket league.
I can look into that. I feel what you guys are trying to tell me, is that this build will run my most loved games very well. Anyway, since I got that out of the way, I need the parts but I am always open for changes!

Fishy4004

Oct 29, 2017
So, I got a i5-7600k instead because it is slightly faster and cheaper (maybe because it's newer?)