Build my computer, please!

ONE23

Oct 27, 2000
I can spend max $1800.
I have to buy a monitor as well.
I want an AMD CPU.
Please, post your opinion what components I should buy.
Thank you all!

Bling Bling

Banned
Dec 16, 1999
General Hardware is THE PLACE for the best answers.

My opinion:

T-Bird 750 (blue core) and o/c that biotch.
Abit KT-100 raid (i'm probably wrong on the model)
128 MB (or more ;))PC 133 RAM
2 IBM 75GXP hdd's for raid (15 or 20 gig each)
Plextor 12/10/32
Pioneer 16x slot load DVD
Good enlight case (serves well for the purpose and is way cheaper than expensive antec cases and what not)
ATI (AIW) Radeon
SBLive! Value
Good 17" or 19" monitor (depending on your situation)

that's what i want personally. Don't know about recent prices though, so it might not fit the budget (i would think it should though).

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
This would probably be better to ask in General Hardware, but I'm sure we'll try to help.

First, we need to know a few things:
a) What will you be using it for? Games, apps, development, etc?
b) What things do you definately want (e.g. monitor size, any specific cards, drives, etc)?

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I say drop raid, it's not worth the hassle.. and if something fails, there goes your data.

AMD T-Bird 1ghz, screw overclocking :)
MSI KT7 Pro 2
128+ MB PC133
30-45GB IBM 75GXP
Plextor 12x10x32 SCSI
Toshiba 12X SCSI DVD/Pioneer 10x SCSI
Decent SCSI card just for the cdrom drives and future
ATI 64MB VIVO Radeon or 32MB AIW Radeon, depending on your needs
Geforce 2 GTS Ultra if using win2k (still waiting on drivers for teh radeons from ati.. something GOOD and not beta).
Enlight/Addtronics case, mid tower minimum
SB Live
Klipsch Promedia

Locutus of Board

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 1999
Send me the $1800.

I'll hook you up with:

A powerful 486 DX2 66
16 MB of high performance RAM.
4 MB video card
ISA sound card

Deal?

Bling Bling

Banned
Dec 16, 1999
Mday: i thought the AIW had that...hmm....so what's the difference in the two card then (specwise and pricewise)?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
do NOT buy from cybermax, their parent company filed for a bankrupcy, read last month's computer shopper. and JOSH YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|YOU OWE ME A FREAKIN TAPE!!!!:|

somethingwitty

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2000
I'd be a bit leery of the systems offered by LOB and Prodigy. sure, top of the line systems like those seem worthwhile, but no forseeable program will ever require systems that are that high-end. Besides, those would go for about five grand: $1800 seems to good to be true, and probably is.