build help

skuzzzzy

Aug 31, 2010
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming / Video encoding.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
$1,300

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
US

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
Amd, Ati, Corsair.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Cooler master sniper case, Corsair 850hx, 2x Gentle Typoon 15 fans (for corsair h70), Windows 7 64bit, Monitor 25.5, Mouse, Keyboard.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Overclocking cpu to 4ghz, Gpu 900-1000.

8. What resolution YOU plan on gaming with.
1920x1200

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Either half now and half november or all november.

Well im rather sure what im going to buy. just here to see your output on if i should begin to purchase now or wait untill november for possible deals / new possible parts?

heres what i have,
cooler master sniper case
corsair 850hx psu
gentle typoon 15 fans

heres what im planning on purchasing,
1055t 95w
gigabyte 890fx ud5
2x 2gb sticks of g.skill eco - 1600mhz 7-8-7-24-2N
corsair h70
g.skill or corsair 120gb sandforce
western digital black caviar 1tb
msi lighting II 5870 / or possible 6 series card if its out in time / in the 400-450 price range.
lg bluray disc burner.

so i could purchase the cpu/mb/ram/wd 1tb next week, then the corsair h70 in begining of october then ssd/gpu/bluray burner come black friday or i could wait and purchase it all on black friday.

main reason im asking is because i want to see if you guys think any newer parts will come out in that time peroid, pretty sure i read the amd 6 series gpu's will be out, but since i read its confirmed bulldozer will be am3+ only i didnt know if we could expect am3+ motherboard's by november.

also im willing to look at suggestions towards the build itself.

thanks for reading.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I personally would skip the H70 and just get a beefy air cooler like the Venomous X or U12P. The H70 (like the H50 before it) has a maximum TDP that it can effectively dissipate before the performance goes to crap. IMHO, you'll get more headroom out of an air cooler.

As for the 5870, I personally would just get a GTX 470 since it is cheaper and around the same speed (depends on the game).

If you don't need the stuff now, I would definitely wait and buy it all at once.

skuzzzzy

Aug 31, 2010
I personally would skip the H70 and just get a beefy air cooler like the Venomous X or U12P. The H70 (like the H50 before it) has a maximum TDP that it can effectively dissipate before the performance goes to crap. IMHO, you'll get more headroom out of an air cooler.

As for the 5870, I personally would just get a GTX 470 since it is cheaper and around the same speed (depends on the game).

If you don't need the stuff now, I would definitely wait and buy it all at once.

hopefully the 6870 is out in november with the price tag off 400-450ish, if it is ill forsure be getting that.