Build for around $500-$600 (Non Gaming)

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
Looking to build a PC for a friend.

• Will be used for Office and PDF editing. Basic home and office use.
  • Purchase in the US
  • Probably prefer Intel? (Open to suggestions)
  • No current parts . Will need to purchase complete system.
  • No Overclocking
  • 1080p resolution
  • Will be buying within the next couple of weeks.
  • May need Windows OS?
  • No need for GPU. Onboard will be fine.
  • SSD may be preferred.
Thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If your friend is in the U.S., for that price range and it being a non-gaming PC, I'd keep an eye out on Dell Outlet or Dell Consumer. If he catches a good deal, they should be able to buy a XPS or Inspiron with a CPU like the i7-7700 or Ryzen 5 or 7 in that price range. Even if you consider the build whm1974 suggested above, you still would have to pay for Windows 10 on top of that price.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
If your friend is in the U.S., for that price range and it being a non-gaming PC, I'd keep an eye out on Dell Outlet or Dell Consumer. If he catches a good deal, they should be able to buy a XPS or Inspiron with a CPU like the i7-7700 or Ryzen 5 or 7 in that price range. Even if you consider the build whm1974 suggested above, you still would have to pay for Windows 10 on top of that price.
Yeah that's the problem with building you own budget level rigs. The cost of Windows and the fact you are paying retail prices for parts. The big upside is you more easily upgrade your build later if you want to.

However since I use Linux, I can use the money saved to buy more hardware. Such as more memory or maybe the i3-8100.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah that's the problem with building you own budget level rigs. The cost of Windows and the fact you are paying retail prices for parts. The big upside is you more easily upgrade your build later if you want to.

However since I use Linux, I can use the money saved to buy more hardware. Such as more memory or maybe the i3-8100.

Building a low-end computer cheaper than say Dell or HP right now are very tough because of the much higher prices of components like RAM (highest it's been so far), and SSDs. Last year, you could buy 16GB for $70. Now Newegg now puts it on "sale" for $160. But a computer like the XPS and Inspiron Gaming towers come with big enough PSUs (should be a standard ATX 460w unit) where a person could easily add in a video card like the GTX 1060 or RX 580 in the future if they wanted to play some games. Plus, those two cases in particular have good airflow (unlike some of the other lower cost towers).

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Building a low-end computer cheaper than say Dell or HP right now are very tough because of the much higher prices of components like RAM (highest it's been so far), and SSDs. Last year, you could buy 16GB for $70. Now Newegg now puts it on "sale" for $160. But a computer like the XPS and Inspiron Gaming towers come with big enough PSUs (should be a standard ATX 460w unit) where a person could easily add in a video card like the GTX 1060 or RX 580 in the future if they wanted to play some games. Plus, those two cases in particular have good airflow (unlike some of the other lower cost towers).
Well if I was going to build a system I would use a better case and I haven't seen any OEM builds at this price with an SSD at all much less one with this size.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well if I was going to build a system I would use a better case and I haven't seen any OEM builds at this price with an SSD at all much less one with this size.

There were several during Black Friday week, and on Cyber Monday. Right now, without any Dell coupon codes, they have several towers around $550, plus Ebates has 10% cash back on purchases there. So with the cash back, that would get the price to $500.

Then Dell Outlet has several options in the $500 range like this one (plus 2% Ebates cash back):

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...9Y8ErEV7jkFI3ZQY83pwOkwhwSYnuETWkUH3dDWZz4w==

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
dude your getting a dell...

no seriously i +1 with UsandThem... getting a premade is probably your cheapest and best solution.

you cant build a better pc with his budget.

At that price it may be possible to pick up an old i5-6600 class, or even 7600 class if he goes though dell.

Going the full on custom route, you already lost 100 dollars on just getting the OS, then current DDR4 prices will make you cry as they are so inflated, and that alone will probably break your budget.

Then he needs motherboard + cpu + case + psu... using the IGPU will save him some... but.... i highly doubt you can get all that for the budget listed unless he wants to go with a mini u can get on alibaba which offers like almost 0 warrenty / RMA.

Last edited:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
There is a guy in the fs/ft forum selling a great Ryzen 1600X and mobo for I think $280 shipped https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...gb-ddr4-3200-trident-z.2528346/#post-39188360
PNY Anarchy 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz $139 Shipped Amazon
A b stock 1050ti at evga is $119 or a used one can be had cheaper in the fs/ft forum maybe https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-6251-RX
750 GQ Gold Evga B stock for $79 https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0750-RX
LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter $49 at amazon Model number
WH14NS40

Zalman Mid Tower case for $45 at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Tower...=UTF8&qid=1512058530&sr=1-47&keywords=pc+case
Then what ever HDD or SDD, 2tb hdd for around $70-$90, or a 256gb ssd for around the same price, yes its slightly faster, but youre giving up a ton of space, but its up to you. Your choice ;)

I know when you add it all up its, $791, or say $800, but I really, dont think for what all I found for you, you can find better in terms of speed, or value for your money even if you went Intel, for if you go that rout, you will pay a lot more, for less performance, for the Ryzen is a 6 core/12 thread, and will rip through what ever you throw at it, and for $280 for his combo, I dont think you can buy a chip that can equal the Ryzen performance, neck to neck, for just the price of that combo right there, so, there it is, a complete set up, and though you said you didnt want to game, it should do light, to mid gaming anyway with ease too, for your down time when you need to get away for the daily stress of life ;)

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
dude your getting a dell...

no seriously i +1 with UsandThem... getting a premade is probably your cheapest and best solution.

you cant build a better pc with his budget.

At that price it may be possible to pick up an old i5-6600 class, or even 7600 class if he goes though dell.

Going the full on custom route, you already lost 100 dollars on just getting the OS, then current DDR4 prices will make you cry as they are so inflated, and that alone will probably break your budget.

Then he needs motherboard + cpu + case + psu... using the IGPU will save him some... but.... i highly doubt you can get all that for the budget listed unless he wants to go with a mini u can get on alibaba which offers like almost 0 warrenty / RMA.
Well in the OP case, he needs Windows, but in mine I use Linux so I can put that $100 elsewhere in the build or just simply keep it.