Build an ultra fast $400 gaming pc!!

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
My CPU cost more than $400 by itself but that build won't crack 30FPS, that 860 is a slow FM2 chip with no L3 cache, the 260X is barely approaching mid range and where is the Windows licence? There will be heavy dips. If you only had $400 may as well get an Xbox One.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
When I see AMD I run the other way. Add an SSD and it might go fast or at least appear to for a few months.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This reminds me of the builds on toms hardware where they use a 2.9 Ghz Pentium dual core processor for under $100 and then pair it with a $200 video card.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
You're He's [thread=2389797]a low-end gaming system builder[/thread]! $500 with OS ~= $410 without OS.
that 860 is a slow FM2 chip with no L3 cache
I thought somebody tested one and it did have L3. If not I may have to revise my build. :hmm:
Actually, why not get an Intel Pentium G3258 for $75.00 and overclock the hell out of it?
That's a good plan too. $400 almost exactly.

Last edited:

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
You're He's [thread=2389797]a low-end gaming system builder[/thread]! $500 with OS ~= $410 without OS.I thought somebody tested one and it did have L3. If not I may have to revise my build. :hmm:
TMK, no FM2 CPUs have L3. They should all be 2MB or 4MB (2x2MB) L2.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
You're He's [thread=2389797]a low-end gaming system builder[/thread]! $500 with OS ~= $410 without OS.I thought somebody tested one and it did have L3. If not I may have to revise my build. :hmm:

Check this video out as well. This was done back in August of 2014. I imagine the prices have changed since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIVi6EDmuIQ

This thread has me thinking here. I bought some parts for a gaming build that never transpired (long story here) back in December of 2012.

These were the parts I bought back in 2012 and early 2013.

1) Samsung 840 pro 128 GB

2) Samsung 8 GB low profile 1600 DDR3 ram

3) MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr 2 GB <----- never been used or opened

I already have a 23 inch IPS monitor, gaming mouse and keyboard.

The things I need now are......

1) chipset

2) CPU cooler

3)motherboard

4) power supply

5) Case

6) video card????

Since it will be used ONLY for gaming the 128 SSD should be fine.

Hmmmm.....might be able to build a gaming system now:)

Last edited:

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014

Basically what I did, though mine is a 3220. Have the same vid card as mentioned in that pc part picker, albeit a 2 GB variant.

I never played BF multi, but it ran single player just fine.

People throw too much money into their PCs chasing high resolution, but you really don't need to. It helps that I didn't have to pay for the OS.

It's only recently (like as in this month) that this dual core CPU needs to be upgraded, as the AAA games are finally requiring quad-core. I put a few extra bucks into the mobo so it can take any CPU I want. Also spent a few extra on the power supply.

I'm under no illusions about its competencies: it's absolutely NOT an "ultra fast" gaming PC. it is an entry level gaming PC, but it isn't an 800X600 and 25 FPS POS, either.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
People throw too much money into their PCs chasing high resolution, but you really don't need to. It helps that I didn't have to pay for the OS.

People don't need to throw ANY money into a gaming PC, since gaming isn't a need. My guess is that for a lot of people here, PCs are a hobby, and like any hobby, can suck up a lot of money without a lot to show for it. Certainly in my case, situations arise when the "technolust" overpowers any sense of reason or rationality, and the joy of playing with new tech is the sole reason for a build. The ability of playing at high resolution with high framerates is simply the justification one gives for spending the money.

Feb 25, 2011
I think 30fps would be very possible with that rig, especially if you dropped to 720p resolutions and medium/low settings.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
PCs are a hobby, and like any hobby, can suck up a lot of money without a lot to show for it. Certainly in my case, situations arise when the "technolust" overpowers any sense of reason or rationality, and the joy of playing with new tech is the sole reason for a build.

I know that feeling all too well.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
People don't need to throw ANY money into a gaming PC, since gaming isn't a need. My guess is that for a lot of people here, PCs are a hobby, and like any hobby, can suck up a lot of money without a lot to show for it. Certainly in my case, situations arise when the "technolust" overpowers any sense of reason or rationality, and the joy of playing with new tech is the sole reason for a build. The ability of playing at high resolution with high framerates is simply the justification one gives for spending the money.

At least one person on this whole forum must get paid to play games.

Of course, if thats the case, I seriously doubt he's trying to get by with a 400 dollar system.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com

There's a subtle difference between having PCs as a hobby and having gaming as a hobby. These overlap for a lot of people, but not all. If gaming is your hobby but PCs aren't, then you probably groan every time you need to upgrade and are looking for the best bang for the buck.