Bugbear NCG: Wreckfest now has real deal online Multiplayer.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I really like some parts of this game, such as the intricate parts and repair system. The crash physics are good, but I HATE the driving dynamics of all of the cars I have tried even with upgraded tires. American, European, and Asian all seem like they have used bald tires on the rear, and racing slicks on the front. The oversteer is comically bad. Upgrading the tires on all of those cars doesn't seem to do anything for this weird quirk.

I have actually driven a car at 90+ MPH and know that making a turn at that speed does not make you go into a barely controllable drift that scrubs 40 MPH off of your exit speed.

I really want to like this game, but the poor driving physics coupled with the terrible AI, makes me want to wait for a while. I did buy it 19 months ago for $15, so I can't complain about the value. I just don't really enjoy the game because of the arcade style handling of the cars.

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
Been awhile since last post. Bugbear been chugging along this last 12 months trying get Wreckfest closer to a final version. Bugbear getting close. :) Bugbear headed to E3 in LA June 13-15, to show off what they got so far:

April Update 2017-04-07 post #405

Janne Suur-Näkki said:
June 4, 2017
We'll be showing only the PC version at E3 with our publishing partner, about which you'll also get more news very soon. The idea is to give the press a chance to see and experience the game after the new update and hear about our plans for it, the console versions and so forth. It's basically promotion for the game (and of course the publisher) and hopefully we'll be able to give people a good reason to check out the game again, write about it and consequently introduce it to new people.

Bugbear been working on the beta Branch Build for a few months now. New Build going bring some major changes to Wreckfest and might see career mode unveiled. New Build should get release after E3 next week.

Checkout Bugbear twitter feed for some new pics: http://https://twitter.com/bugbeargames -

Last edited:

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
joker-smile-online.jpg

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
News from E3:

THQ Nordic's cooperation with Bugbear Entertainment announced!

A gifted driver joins THQ Nordic‘s Racing Team: Cooperation with Bugbear Entertainment on Wreckfest announced

Vienna, Austria/Helsinki, Finland, June 12th 2017: There are many ways to win a race. The best is to have a strong team, a talented driver and a wonderful car. By joining forces for the Wreckfest, developer Bugbear Entertainment, well known for the critically acclaimed FlatOut series and publisher THQ Nordic bring together these three parts. Together they will make sure the game passes the finish line in 2017 on PC with the console versions in close pursuit in 2018.

Wreckfest, currently in Steam’s Early Access program, is going to receive a number of updates in the following months, including these features:

• The career mode: By achieving victories, players can get access to more and better cars and upgrade them with various parts
  • Car customization: A complex system, allowing the players to fully customize their cars for their individual needs, like more armor to withstand the competitors or more powerful engines
  • More cars, more tracks: THQ Nordic and Bugbear Entertainment will make sure a constant flow of additional content will be added on a regular basis for the remaining months of the Early Access program
  • New multiplayer server: To guarantee an outstanding racing and wrecking experience, an Official Wreckfest Server will be opened

THQ Nordic’s Managing Director, Klemens Kreuzer, points out: “Wreckfest is not just motorsport – it is motorsport with an attitude. An attitude we love. Therefore we are very happy to cooperate with Bugbear Entertainment, to make Wreckfest better, bigger and simply the best destruction derby-racing game out there.“

Janne Alanenpää, Managing Director of Bugbear Entertainment: “THQ Nordic shares our vision for Wreckfest, and together we can create the most thrilling demolition racing experience on both PC and consoles.“

A new trailer comes along with this announcement, you can find it here:

Stay tuned
Your THQ Nordic Team

Here video of Bugbear Dev Sakkari over at Alienware booth letting guy tryout Wreckfest from a USB stick in the laptop:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151608734?t=1h55m50s

2rxd1jd.jpg

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
We now have a Wreckfest station wagon!!:

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,10226.0.html post @23

Purple44 said:
Janne Suur-Näkki said:
Nov 13 2017
We're running a bit late here but there's still time to vote for your favorites as well as participate so here goes...

Teaser pic of new station wagon:
IMG_27102017_141453_0sss.jpg

Exciting news! We need a rocking soundtrack for Wreckfest and since we thought this is a perfect chance to promote all the awesome indie bands out there and give our fans a chance to voice their opinion on the soundtrack, we have just opened a game music contest. The winners will have their music featured in our game and receive cash prizes, with the top dog receiving $3,500 and nine runner-ups $1,000 each. Don’t forget that artists featured in our previous games have included many upcoming indie artists as well as household names like Megadeth, Rob Zombie, and Fall Out Boy, so now you or your friends have a chance to break big. We want to have the best possible soundtrack in the game so make sure to vote and share the news with your favourite bands!

Check out the contest site HERE.

In other news, as you have no doubt noticed for the most part we’ve been flying under the radar since our last update and that’s simply because we’ve been working on the game like there’s no tomorrow, adding new features and content as well as polishing what we already have. We can soon share more details with you but rest assured there’s a plenty of good stuff coming up – loads of new unique cars, a proper career mode with championships, car paint job customization, brand new HUD, greatly improved AI, polished tracks and a lot more – in short, everything that will soon make Wreckfest a complete game. Stay tuned!

Purple44 said:
Dec 17, 2016
Still holding out hope we will see a station wagon in Wreckfest come final release day. :D

Janne Suur-Näkki said:
Dec 17, 2016
Hey, what kind of a banger racing game wouldn't have a station wagon? :D

Thank you, Thank you Bugbear and Janne for keeping your promise to give us a station wagon to race and crunch in Wreckfest! :D
sm111.gif

IMG_27102017_141453_0sss.jpg

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Is this the new Demolition Racer? I loved that game on the PSX.

Edit: After doing some digging, it appears this game has shown very little development progress in the last four years. Considering they are asking $40 (on sale at the moment 50% off) for an unfinished game and are already offering a Deluxe Edition, I'm extremely skeptical. Not to mention they are barely moving into Beta after 4+ years of development. Reminds me of Starbound and taking into account Chucklefish removed 75% of the content and pushed out a beta build and called it good, I'm going to pass on this game.

Shame too because I really loved Demolition Racer and there hasn't been a game since then that brought that feeling back of not only trying to finish the race, but also destroy everyone else in the process.

Last edited:

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
About the Deluxe Edition ( get the backer car and soundtrack for giving Bugbear some extra love $$ ), that was added to Steam after guys that bought NCG on Steam and wanted in on the backer car and soundtrack that was offered over at Bugbear site since Sept 2013:

http://web.archive.org/web/20141028232343/http://nextcargame.com/pre-order/

Can't pre-order from Bugbear web site now, can only pre-order from the Steam store page. http://www.wreckfestgame.com/

We all wondering what will be the backer car. We got a thread on it:

What do YOU want the backer car to be?

Hmm, added 24 player multiplayer online, added modding support, keep adding tracks ( 5 derby pits, 17 different tracks with reverse versions ) and Bugbear overhauled their ROMU game engine to make it leaner and meaner, to provide even better car physics, car damage and graphics like Directx11.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Do you work for them? I'd love to hear some feedback against the large amount of hate this game is getting.

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
No don't work for Bugbear studio, but been a big fan of Bugbear racing games since I was hooked when I first played the demo for Flatout 1 back in Aug 2005.

Since then I have spent many a Saturday racing good players online with FO1, FO2 and now Wreckfest. :)

Also been modding Flatout 1, 2 and Wreckfest making custom tracks. :(

Most hate you see in the reviews is from Bugbear taking so long to get Wreckfest close to final version. 4 years been a long wait for those guy that been waiting to get their first taste of career mode. And Bugbear hinted a few times they getting close to final version release and then no final version. Like last Dec, Bugbear posted was shooting for a spring 2017 release, did not happen.

But I been able to race NCG\Wreckfest online since Oct 2014. Got 3200 hrs, about 2000 racing online, the rest modding Wreckfest. So the wait has not been a problem for me.

Where else you going go to get some rough and tumble folk racing in like you can get in Wreckfest? :D

I'm OK with the delays, I do not want to see Wreckfest release if it not ready for prime time. Only get one shot at release week. Also Bugbear a smaller studio. They started with 24 Devs back 2013 and were down to 15 Devs last Dec. With THQ aboard now and giving Bugbear a new shot of cash to get Wreckfest across the finish line, I believe Bugbear got a few more Devs now working on the game.

Bugbear lack of communication at times with Wreckfest community ( going quiet for a month or 2 at a time ), has been a sore point!! :(

Be warned, I'm a fanboy thou.;)

wreckfest-fanboy.jpg

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It USED to be a fun game, but unfortunately the overseas players helped ruin the game and bug bears direction completely sucks. It was better as a bare bones game.

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
The new Dec 2017 update been out almost a month now ( plus 3 hotfixes ) and Wreckfest now getting a lot of good reviews from new and old players.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228380/Next_Car_Game_Wreckfest/

Steam review:
" Evil Gunball - Posted: January 11
I've been following it for about 2 years, always wanting to buy it but listening to the reviews and staying away. When I checked it two weeks or so ago when it was 20% off or so, the reviews had shifted and said it's finally worth playing, so I picked it up.

I've been having a blast. The single player is bare bones and gets boring quickly but is a good way to build coin and get free♥♥♥♥♥♥ Multiplayer is great and the servers are fairly populated. Many are in Europe so I get terrible ping and the physics become wonky, but whenever there is a US game going on it's great.

Gameplay is pretty much Grid 2 Hardcore mode with people not giving any ♥♥♥♥♥ about driving fairly. It's a lot of fun.

I'm at 16 hours played or so, have access to competitive cars, and it's looking like I'll be playing this one for awhile.

You can always refund within 2 hours of gameplay, if you're going to buy it I'd recommend only starting it up at times when you're likely to be online and wanting to play to see if there are populated servers at that time, and stick to online for those 2 hours. If you love it, then do single player for a bit before buying anything, as a lot of things you can buy with your money are given free in 1P.

See you on the track! Sorry in advance. "

Go here if you want to see what new in the Dec 2017 Build and what community saying about the new Build:

December Update

Here a couple of videos with the new Build online:

And a little mod action New Years day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voMFfJtuPdc

Here a pic of one my new rides with custom in-game paint job:

online-carnage-lost-tire.jpg

My poor El Camino did not survive Crash Canyon!

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
Part 2, because I can only have 2 media in a post :( :

Here a couple of videos I did in April using the current Build Of Wreckfest:

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
Part 3:

And here video of April Saturday Night Mods night where I get to race and derby with my BIG Purple Warwagon: :)

big-purple4.jpg

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
Found the link to this great slow mo video of Wreckfest on Bugbear twitter page yesterday: :D

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I really want to try this game but $45 is too much IMHO considering it was $20 in December. It just seems like the few times I have paid more than $20 for a game I got burned.

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010
I really want to try this game but $45 is too much IMHO considering it was $20 in December. It just seems like the few times I have paid more than $20 for a game I got burned.

In Dec that was a Steam 50% off sale to get Wreckfest for $20, retail price was $40. Might have to wait until Nov, Dec before see another Steam sale for Wreckfest.

If you like online, the online racing in Wreckfest is very good. Checkout the 2 videos above. Wreckfest well worth $45. :D

Offline I don't know if worth $45. I not much of an offline player. Most my 3000+ hours in Wreckfest been spent online and doing a few custom tracks. But so far I'm enjoying my first go at the Wreckfest career mode. :)

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think the biggest part that they changed that turned me off of this game is the simulation/career crap that they made part of the multiplayer. Was such a letdown when they put that into this game. They turned it basically into another game where if you aren't putting 100's of hours in you stand little chance when playing by 'the other peoples' rulesets. It's a derby game. I just want to jump in and crash things, unfortunately, most of the people who picked this game up are the 'I want to race, don't hit me' mindset.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I think the biggest part that they changed that turned me off of this game is the simulation/career crap that they made part of the multiplayer. Was such a letdown when they put that into this game. They turned it basically into another game where if you aren't putting 100's of hours in you stand little chance when playing by 'the other peoples' rulesets. It's a derby game. I just want to jump in and crash things, unfortunately, most of the people who picked this game up are the 'I want to race, don't hit me' mindset.
Ugg, really? I want the game for the same reason you do. I used to play GT5 on the PS3 and we created dirty nascar rooms. We only had 3 rules. No going backwards, no wrecking in the back (work together to catch the leader) and stay on the lead lap which was easy because we cranked up the boost. It was a blast and we had a great time. It was a great way to blow off steam.

I guess I'll wait until the holidays and see if the price drops. In the meantime I'll do a little research by watching videos and reading some of the steam discussions.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Ugg, really? I want the game for the same reason you do. I used to play GT5 on the PS3 and we created dirty nascar rooms. We only had 3 rules. No going backwards, no wrecking in the back (work together to catch the leader) and stay on the lead lap which was easy because we cranked up the boost. It was a blast and we had a great time. It was a great way to blow off steam.

I guess I'll wait until the holidays and see if the price drops. In the meantime I'll do a little research by watching videos and reading some of the steam discussions.

Not all servers are the same, but you are still at the ruleset of the server. Maybe with it finally being released more people will be hosting servers. It is great fun at times.

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010

Doing repairs online was a trial run Bugbear was testing and the Devs saw most us did not like it online. In final version of Wreckfest, there no repair component. You upgrade the cars with parts to make them faster and add some armor parts to make them tougher at a cost of some speed and some visual stuff to make the cars more cool looking.

My current derby car:
rammer-shark.jpg

Can't swap parts while online in the lobby, but can tune your car, like the suspension, gear box, differential and brakes.

Here a nice web page show most the cars and parts you can buy:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=565730071

Now that Wreckfest online is hopping again with the final version release, there plenty of servers to choose from, like your racing rough, go join one the no rules servers. :)

Might find a rowdy server with a bunch buses causing havoc!
supervan-killed-them-all-bus.jpg

Last edited:

Purple44

Jan 3, 2010

This a collection of online videos I took over the last few weeks since final version of Wreckfest got release June 14. Our career and car files got wiped, so I'm having to rebuild my garage. Here the cars I used in the video:

B class:

Rammer RS
Dominator
Warwagon

A class:

Bandit - My backer car for giving Bugbear some extra $$ support

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
This is a fun little game to fill the void in between more mainstream racers. I just wish the tracks were a bit better/longer. The figure 8 races are a blast though; I like the carnage that typically ensues.