Buffett named world's richest man

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WO....html?iref=mpstoryview

(CNN) -- Forbes' list of the world's wealthy has named Warren Buffett the richest person on the planet, surpassing his friend and philanthropic partner Bill Gates who had held the title for 13 consecutive years.

The American investor and philanthropist is worth an estimated $62 billion, up $10 billion from a year ago thanks to surging prices of Berkshire Hathaway stock, according to Forbes magazine's annual ranking of the world's billionaires.

Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, is now ranked as the world's third richest person. At $58 billion, his net worth is up $2 billion from a year ago. Mexican telecom tycoon Carlos Slim Helu was named the world's second richest man, with a net worth of around $60 billion, up $11 billion since last March.

For the first time ever, Forbes' rich list named more than 1,000 billionaires from around the world, with 226 newcomers. The total net worth of the group is $4.4 trillion, up $900 billion from 2007.Video Watch story on Buffett's fortune »

This year's survey finds an increasing number of the world's richest coming from emerging markets, including China, India and Russia.

Two years ago, 10 of the top 20 billionaires were from the United States. This year, there are only four. India is now home to four of the 10 richest in the world, the highest number for a single country.

But the U.S. still holds the top spot as the country with the most billionaires -- Americans account for 42 percent of the world's billionaires and 37 percent of the total wealth, according to Forbes.

With 87 billionaires, Russia is now in second place behind the U.S., overtaking Germany, with 59 billionaires, which held that position for six years.
advertisement

It is also a record-breaking year for young billionaires, with Forbes listing 50 billionaires under the age of 40.

Over half of them are self-starters, including Google co-founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, and India's Sameer Gehlaut, who started an online brokerage Indiabulls. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, age 23, has been named the youngest billionaire in history. E-mail to a friend

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: MetalMat
He needs to share some green with a fellow brother
hes given away more money than the combination of what everyone on this board will ever make

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
hes given away more money than the combination of what everyone on this board will ever make

179687 AT forum users * $350k/yr base * 30 years (we all retire at 53) =

$1,886,713,500,000

Buffett ain't got nuthin on us.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91

179687 AT forum users * $350k/yr base * 30 years (we all retire at 53) =

$1,886,713,500,000

Buffett ain't got nuthin on us.

I think the average for AT users is more like 35K when you count all the script kiddies around here...

Mar 10, 2005

and when he dies, he's giving it all away.

i take issue with the russians and chinese on the list. their wealth is from industries or businesses that are state owned, depending on the day of the week. the sultan of brunei, and others, list their entire countries as their personal wealth, and are usually excluded for that reason.

edit:
when i saw the title of this thread, i said "damn that lousy margaritaville merchandise." :D

Feb 24, 2001
Buffett is one of the good guys. He's for plain English accounting reports and a big supporter of the individual investor. He's done a lot to increase market transparency against the wishes of big businesses.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Buffett is one of the good guys. He's for plain English accounting reports and a big supporter of the individual investor. He's done a lot to increase market transparency against the wishes of big businesses.

Yep, he's the man. :thumbsup:

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
edit:
when i saw the title of this thread, i said "damn that lousy margaritaville merchandise." :D

I did read that Jimmy Buffet, between all his restaurants, merchandise and concerts, pulls in about 100 million a year. Nowhere near Warren Buffet money, but still some pretty good scratch.