Budget experts see deficit topping $400B

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I expect this projected deficit of $400b will end up closer to $500b, and next year will probably top $700b for a single year.

Interest rates will at least double in the same period.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: HJD1
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: BOBDN
What's the average trailer in an Oklahoma trailer park cost these days, shinerburke?
Yep..you shur did git me ona that one....shoot fire....I wuz hopin that youns weren't gonna find out bout my little secret.

Yeah....we all live in trailer parks here. That and we have to ride horses everywhere we go and watch out for Injuns.....

One of my sisters grew up in a place called Lawton.... somewhere in OK. She told me they lived in a house with a cellar and all. They would sit around changing the oil in the car and trying to figure out what the deficit was as a percent of GNP and GDP cuz they knew that to fight off the injuns they needed a handle on the axe of spending as well as the debt of bushes littered about. But, she moved alas and now faces the hurricane of tax cuts in Florida.. oh my.
Lawton? Dear God.....I feel terrible for your sister....Lawton is one of the most God forsaken spots on the planet. In fact most of that side of the state is horrible.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Well Bush and the Republican controlled congress have no one to blame but themselves. They are in-charge of things and so they can't run and point fingures at the Dem's. That old game does not work any more now that they are in control. This kind of shows you how much Dem's and Rep's are two sides of the same old crusty coin.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Shiner,
Lawton? Dear God.....I feel terrible for your sister....Lawton is one of the most God forsaken spots on the planet. In fact most of that side of the state is horrible.

Somewhere near a Fort Sill or something. Actually, she went back for two yrs..when her hubby was a Batt. Cdr. in Artillery or something noisey like that.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
This kind of shows you how much Dem's and Rep's are two sides of the same old crusty coin.

At this point in time, I can do nothing but agree. Unfortunately the political reality is that no one is going to cut the federal budget as it would most likely result in political suicide. Bush can only sign what he's given and I don't fault him for that. That does not mean however that my elected reps in congress and the senate are forgiven for what they end up delivering. Alas, to my dismay it appears that my fellow constituents don't mind our reps loading up on the pork to benefit the locals..........GRRRRRRRR! :disgust:

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Well Bush the Republican controled congress have no one to blame but themselves. They are in-charge of things and so they can't run a point fingures at the Dem's. That old game does not work any more now that they are in control. This kind of shows you how much Dem's and Rep's are two sides of the same old crusty coin.

reminds me of:

Four monks decided to meditate silently without speaking for two weeks. By nightfall on the first day, the candle began to flicker and then went out. The first monk said, "Oh, no! The candle is out." The second monk said, "Aren't we not suppose to talk?" The third monk said, "Why must you two break the silence?" The fourth monk laughed and said, "Ha! I'm the only one who didn't speak."

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Bush can only sign what he's given and I don't fault him for that.
No, he can help present new legislation and help push through existing legistation. The last 3 R presidents have hated dealing with Congress. They preferred to create their Legacies via foreign policy because it's much easier to "get things done" as Bush Sr. once said when congress isn't around to annoy them.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Bush is a disaster.

Glad you could join us
rolleye.gif

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: drewshin
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Did this turn into the BOBDN forum?
rolleye.gif

Cut spending increases and cut wastefull/outdated agencies/programs and the deficit goes away - we've been over this before. Nice try on the Bush bash though.

CkG

as far as i've seen, bush has only increased government spending. nice job.
Exactly - and I'm pissed about it.

Originally posted by: BOBDN
Need I remind you of the irresponsible "tax cuts" (read "service cuts") Bush pushed through - one in his first year in office and the other just recently which contributed to the deficits?

Also tell me why Bush and the Republicans, with full control of the executive and legislative branch, can't seem to do anything except suggest more tax cuts for the rich to fix this?

I thought they were supposed to be some sort of economic geniuses, president as CEO, no? Well, I guess with Bush's track record at failed businesses we really shouldn't have expected anything more than a failed economy.

And the excuses are really starting to get lame. When is Bush going to stop making excuses and DO SOMETHING?

The tax cut's aren't irresponsible. What do you want Bush to do to get the economy going again? If he didn't cut taxes - then you people would bitch that he wasn't "doing anything" about the economy. bitch....bitch....bitch... Why don't you people come up with some anternate ideas intead of just whining about what is being done.

CkG