Budget experts see deficit topping $400B

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Did this turn into the BOBDN forum?
rolleye.gif

Cut spending increases and cut wastefull/outdated agencies/programs and the deficit goes away - we've been over this before. Nice try on the Bush bash though.

CkG

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
rolleye.gif

Cut spending increases and cut wastefull/outdated agencies/programs and the deficit goes away - we've been over this before. Nice try on the Bush bash though.

CkG
Cut the guy some slack....it has to be pretty rough being as old as he is and still living in your parent's basement. He doesn't have much else to do besides come on here and spew his venom. When he's not outside in his VW Microbus burning "incense" he's in here acting like Ramsey Clark.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: shinerburke
rolleye.gif

CkG
Cut the guy some slack....it has to be pretty rough being as old as he is and still living in your parent's basement. He doesn't have much else to do besides come on here and spew his venom. When he's not outside in his VW Microbus burning "incense" he's in here acting like Ramsey Clark.

A $9.6 trillion deficit turn around by Bush and Co. and this is all you can come up with.

And shinerburke, you can make all the BS claims you like about me but believe me, you couldn't afford to drive through my neighborhood let alone live in the basement of MY house.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
What's the average trailer in an Oklahoma trailer park cost these days, shinerburke?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBDN
What's the average trailer in an Oklahoma trailer park cost these days, shinerburke?
Yep..you shur did git me ona that one....shoot fire....I wuz hopin that youns weren't gonna find out bout my little secret.

Yeah....we all live in trailer parks here. That and we have to ride horses everywhere we go and watch out for Injuns.....

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
rolleye.gif

CkG

A $9.6 trillion deficit turn around by Bush and Co. and this is all you can come up with.

And shinerburke, you can make all the BS claims you like about me but believe me, you couldn't afford to drive through my neighborhood let alone live in the basement of MY house.
Ahhh yes.....another Internet "I'm so rich you couldn't touch me post." The scond most popular fantasy on the Internet....just barely behind the "I'm a 16 year old hot girl" scam.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Yep..you shur did git me ona that one....shoot fire....I wuz hopin that youns weren't gonna find out bout my little secret.

Yeah....we all live in trailer parks here. That and we have to ride horses everywhere we go and watch out for Injuns.....

Actually I have acquantances in Oklahoma and family in Arkansas. There are some very nice areas of both states I'd love to live in.

I was simply reacting to your ridiculous, inflammatory statement about my lifestyle - which you have absolutely no idea of. But then you believe Bush and the WMD lie so you obviously don't base your opinions on fact.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
rolleye.gif

CkG

Ahhh yes.....another Internet "I'm so rich you couldn't touch me post." The scond most popular fantasy on the Internet....just barely behind the "I'm a 16 year old hot girl" scam.

I'm not rich, pal. But the homes in my neighborhood are selling for $500,000 and up. Hardly my parent's basement.

You can apologize for starting this any time you like.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: B00ne
wow I think that is as much as our whole federal budget :)

And you're probably pretty close. Our economy is roughly $10.5 trillion.

This is based on a ten year projection.

Before Bush the ten year projection was - Budget surplus $5.6 trillion.

After Bush the ten year projection is - Budget DEFICIT $4 trillion.

A $9.6 trillion turn around - and not in the black, into the RED.

Nice work. I wonder what four more years of Bushonomics will do to us.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

What you fail to see is that there were factors outside the control of Bush and Congress. Need I remind you of the tech bubble burst, 9/11, and corporate scandal fallout? I'm sure those had NOTHING
rolleye.gif
to do with the PROJECTED overtaxatio....Uhh I mean "surplus".

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

What you fail to see is that there were factors outside the control of Bush and Congress. Need I remind you of the tech bubble burst, 9/11, and corporate scandal fallout? I'm sure those had NOTHING
rolleye.gif
to do with the PROJECTED overtaxatio....Uhh I mean "surplus".

CkG

Need I remind you of the irresponsible "tax cuts" (read "service cuts") Bush pushed through - one in his first year in office and the other just recently which contributed to the deficits?

Also tell me why Bush and the Republicans, with full control of the executive and legislative branch, can't seem to do anything except suggest more tax cuts for the rich to fix this?

I thought they were supposed to be some sort of economic geniuses, president as CEO, no? Well, I guess with Bush's track record at failed businesses we really shouldn't have expected anything more than a failed economy.

And the excuses are really starting to get lame. When is Bush going to stop making excuses and DO SOMETHING?

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
He has started to do something-shift taxes from the federal level to the state level where they can be more easily managed and accounted for. now we just need to do the same with spending cuts. Shamefully he is not willing to even try the latter.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Lucky
He has started to do something-shift taxes from the federal level to the state level where they can be more easily managed and accounted for. now we just need to do the same with spending cuts. Shamefully he is not willing to even try the latter.

You're forgetting one small detail. The majority of states have balanced budget ammendments. They can't borrow or raise the debt ceiling. States are in terrible financial condition not only because of this but because they must adhere to federal demands to run federal programs without any help from the federal government.

In other words shifting the burden from the federal to the state level will only make matters worse. For as you said Bush and Co. wont make the hard decisions regarding spending cuts. Unless the cuts only hurt the poor or middle class.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000

You're forgetting one small detail. The majority of states have balanced budget ammendments. They can't borrow or raise the debt ceiling. States are in terrible financial condition not only because of this but because they must adhere to federal demands to run federal programs without any help from the federal government.

In other words shifting the burden from the federal to the state level will only make matters worse. For as you said Bush and Co. wont make the hard decisions regarding spending cuts. Unless the cuts only hurt the poor or middle class.

I'm not forgetting any details. I clearly said (IMO) he has started to shift taxes from the federal level to the state level. Whether states have balanced budget ammendments makes no difference in this aspect. I'm not talking about them borrowing money or deficit spending, I'm talking about them raising taxes.

What you have posted simply shows that balanced budget ammendments are bad. Regrettably while I'm glad this president has started what I hope will be an immense change in how and to who we pay our taxes, the changes will not be complete until we have a president willing to make massive cuts and discard many of the unfunded federal mandates. Which may take some time....

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

I'm not forgetting any details. I clearly said (IMO) he has started to shift taxes from the federal level to the state level. Whether states have balanced budget ammendments makes no difference in this aspect. I'm not talking about them borrowing money or deficit spending, I'm talking about them raising taxes.

What you have posted simply shows that balanced budget ammendments are bad. Regrettably while I'm glad this president has started what I hope will be an immense change in how and to who we pay our taxes, the changes will not be complete until we have a president willing to make massive cuts and discard many of the unfunded federal mandates. Which may take some time....

Oh, like Social Security? I hope not. A generation has paid their SSI and expect a return on investment.

*edit*typo

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Oh, like Social Security? I hope not. A generation has paid their SSI and expect a return on investment.

HAHA. Only people worthy of the darwin award think of SS as an "investment".
rolleye.gif

Besides, SS is funded seperately from federal income tax, at least at this point.

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
rolleye.gif

CkG

as far as i've seen, bush has only increased government spending. nice job.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
rolleye.gif

CkG

I'm a 16 year old hot rich girl

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I fail to recognize why we have budget "surpluses" and "deficits" in the first place.

When we are deficit what are we, as US citizens, not paying for? Where does my dollar (in fractions) go to? If I paid the rightful and appropriate portion of my wages, then where is the extra spending coming from? Where in Congress were passed these bills that exceeded the bounds of the budget?

From a surplus, is there a legal amendment or law that says, either way, the government's responsibility in the handling of my money (above the amount that has the government breaking even)? If I go to a store and purchase items and then pay for them, do I not get my money back that exceeds the total owed to the store? And in the budget (any budget for that matter), isn't there a line item that takes a portion of my tax dollars to pay the interest/principle on the government's excess (deficit from previous year(s))? I do not understand the angry vociferation of particular groups when someone says that the excess payment should be given back to the payee. To me, holding a surplus of money above the budget encourages wasteful spending practices and no budget constraint.

Because of greed, and private/special interests there are no serious talks or examinations of our budgeting process (outside the GAO). If the GAO is given police-like authority to render penalties or judgements, then many congressmen would be more accountable for their actions. And could not a line-item veto by the president allow for the limitation of pork projects/riders to existent bills? By vetoing specific budget items, the President pushes back on the Congress to override his veto - thereby establishing a true need in restoring the vetoed items.

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), these small measures will not keep out human nature. It is up to us however, to elect those officials that can look dispassionately as possible when funding the US budget needs.

And is it not prudent to provide exact figures of budget excess or shortage as it happens, not as "projected" or "estimated"? Every year I project the Cubs will win the World Series, but you don't see anyone seriously taking my words as fact. The only reason we should ever look at projections is to estimate where we can fix/repair/enhance those areas that have the greatest contrast.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

One of my sisters grew up in a place called Lawton.... somewhere in OK. She told me they lived in a house with a cellar and all. They would sit around changing the oil in the car and trying to figure out what the deficit was as a percent of GNP and GDP cuz they knew that to fight off the injuns they needed a handle on the axe of spending as well as the debt of bushes littered about. But, she moved alas and now faces the hurricane of tax cuts in Florida.. oh my.